English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 14 September 2008, 16:07   #1
xerces8

Full Screen problem after config change

Hi!

After many years I downloaded WinUAE again and encountered the following:

- WinAUE running in Full Screen mode (800x600)
- I exit by clicking the middle mouse button
- double click the tray icon so the config dialog appears
- change some setting, like the joystick layout
- click OK

Now either :
- the screen goes black
- or resolution set to 800x600, but still the desktop is visible (party in wrong colors)
- or the desktop is visible normally (1920x1200 resolution), but the mouse pointer is trapped in a 800x600 area on the top left

By using alt-tab several times it usually starts to work (that is: the WinUAE emulation screen appears).

Some resolutions, like 640x480 don't work at all (black screen).

I have WinUAE 1.5.2 on Windows 2003.
Gfx is nVidia 8800GT with driver v175.19

Regards,
David

PS: I also have some improvement suggestions. If the developer(s) is bored, just give me a hint

Old 14 September 2008, 16:17   #2
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
I usually hit F12 to get the interface screen. Try it !

Also, I like the new full-window mode, it gives you the ability to have the workbench occupy all the avalaible space on the desktop, but Alt+tab doesn't interfere, the workbench full-screen window is only set on the background.

Finally, I use the same resolution for the desktop & the workbench plain & simple, but it's not something all WinUAE users favor.
Old 14 September 2008, 16:21   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerces8 View Post
After many years I downloaded WinUAE again and encountered the following:
Probably broke when mode switching was rewritten. (all features I don't use probably get broken sooner or later..)

Quote:
PS: I also have some improvement suggestions. If the developer(s) is bored, just give me a hint
I am always bored
Old 14 September 2008, 18:05   #4
xerces8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
I am always bored
Well, the GUI is way too complicated. For example, to set full screen mode, there is gazillion options.

Also there might be some features that I would like, but wont mention them, as they might be hidden somewhere in the existing jungle of options.

Basically, there should be a simplified GUI to cover 99% of use:
- Amiga model selection (a very few common configs, like a v1.2 Amiga 500 - most compatible for older games; then some never model with more RAM for recent software)
- Windows / Full Screen option (one switch, not 6 lists, 4 checkboxes etc...)
- ADF selector
- maybe a config save/load option
- maybe a few other useful things (emphasis on "few")
- Advanced button to open the existing jungle of options

Old 14 September 2008, 18:06   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Basically, there should be a simplified GUI to cover 99% of use:
No. This has been talked here already. Use Frontend software if WinUAE GUI is too complex.
Old 14 September 2008, 19:06   #6
xerces8

Well, actually the Quickstart page is a step in this direction

PS: The "EasyEmu WinUAE guide" link on the web page gives a 404 error. I was looking there for frontends. But did not found any. Is there some collection ?

Old 14 September 2008, 19:30   #7
DamienD
Banned

Hello xerces8,

Welocme to EAB

Quote:
I was looking there for frontends. But did not found any. Is there some collection ?
Check out GameBase Amiga

... Homepage
... project.MAGE (EAB's dedicated area for news, questions and help)
Old 17 September 2008, 12:00   #8
NewDeli
Banned

If you don't plan to put up a very elaborate Amiga emulation (no hard drive, no AmigaOS installation, simple ADF loading), you may use Fellow or E-UAE running under linux.

When stretching the Workbench screen to full screen, you should have in mind that the native Amiga resolution is much lower. In fact, some purists consider a 14" monitor is the maximum size for displaying adequately the Amiga video signal.
You shall eventually become familiar with the various settings in WinUAE, give it some time...

Also, there is a concurrent Frontend to GBA (Gamebase Amiga) called lemonade.

If you find the instructions on Elowar's wiki too cryptic, the best place to get help for constituting a fully working GBA is the #mage channel on IRC.

Feel free to submit your other suggestions in the corresponding section on EAB forum.
Old 18 September 2008, 18:48   #9
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Hello xerces8,

Welocme to EAB

Check out GameBase Amiga

... Homepage
... project.MAGE (EAB's dedicated area for news, questions and help)
The only problem here; if someone thinks the WINUAE front end is confusing, wait till they start messing with the Game Base software, CLRMAME PRO and all the rest of the stuff recommended for GBA. The GBA guys are wonderful at helping but the process is very tedious if you are unfamiliar with all of the various things that make it work. Lemonade is still the easiest way to go but you get what you get with that one since it is abandoned.
Old 27 September 2008, 22:51   #10
rsn8887

This is very very minor issues though probably not worth mentioning, using WinUAE 1.5.3 beta 0.1.

1) fullscreen on-the-fly switching from "16bit" to "32bit" doesn't seem to work for me.

What I did:
Start emulation in "16bit fullscreen," hit F12, make a single change from "16bit" to "32bit" in the gui, hit OK. But nothing changes on screen. All the colors on screen are still 16bit approximations and not 32bit perfect. No filters used, no vsync used.

This can probably be checked with some sufficiently smooth copper gradient sky in some game, such as Marvin's Marvellous Adventure or some such. But I simply checked looking at my "WBVerlauf" Workbench background gradient's smoothness.

After using the "restart" followed by the "start" button, the new fullscreen emulation that opens is indeed 32bit as it should be.

2) "Sometimes" starting the fullscreen emulation gives me only a black screen, just as reported above. Switching on-the-fly once back and forth between "Vsync" and "non-vsync" fixes it. The image appears after first switching, and then stays ok when switching back. I don't know how to reproduce yet.

Last edited by rsn8887; 27 September 2008 at 22:58.
Old 27 September 2008, 23:31   #11
NewDeli
Banned

I have two configs, one for 16bit color mode one for 32 bit. Before loading one of the config, I check that my Windows desktop is in the right color mode. Workbench Picasso driver should be set accordingly FIRST.

I've noticed that "rebooting" WinUAE helps when getting a black screen.
Don't know if it's a bug from the cache or with my set up.

I think I can safely say that you should not need vsync at all.