English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 February 2021, 13:05   #1
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Original Artworks from Game Boxes

Does anyone here own any of the original pieces of art that went to on be used on Amiga game boxes? It’d be great hear the stories behind their creation, to see what has happened to them and where they are now.

Personally, I would love to own the Simon Bisley art from the Gods cover or the Glenn Fabry art from Speedball 2. Some of the Psygnosis pieces would be great to see too.

I think they’re an important part of the history and worth tracking down. Anyone know where some of the original pieces ended up?
Old 10 February 2021, 13:27   #2
rabidgerry

That's an insane amount of artwork. Countless numbers of great game box art. Who knows where they lie? Some of the original artists port folios locked away in a drawer somewhere?

Be interesting to see if anyone gets back with actual artwork.

Roger Dean Shadow of the beast springs to mind and one for Ballistix by Melvyn Grant which bizarrely is used as an alternative cover to a Judas Priest album called Rocka Rolla!!
Old 10 February 2021, 13:57   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Many of those "original" artworks are actually only licensed random paintings, very often non-related to the game itself and also used elsewhere (book covers, callendars etc.). Many of them were also for sale on authors' websites in recent years.

Few years ago there was an exhibition in GamesCon where original framed painting from Dungeon Master was hanging on the wall.
Old 10 February 2021, 17:46   #4
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Many of those "original" artworks are actually only licensed random paintings, very often non-related to the game itself and also used elsewhere (book covers, callendars etc.). Many of them were also for sale on authors' websites in recent years.

Few years ago there was an exhibition in GamesCon where original framed painting from Dungeon Master was hanging on the wall.
That would make sense in the case of the two games I listed. Look a bit random and unrelated to the game.
Old 10 February 2021, 19:17   #5
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
On Lemon I collected over 400 authors of the boxes and in many cases even the origin of the painting (see Infestation for example, or many Psygnosis games), but I do not have info about its fate.
Old 11 February 2021, 15:45   #6
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

I realise that a lot of the artwork used on covers was not created specifically for the Amiga, but I'm mainly interested in those that were and what happened to them. It would be cool if some of the pieces ended up in the hands of Amiga owners.
Old 11 February 2021, 16:10   #7
dreadnought

We've talked about the reated/unrelated thing in that other thread. Game artwork does not have to be a 1:1 representation of the actual gameplay. It's the "artistic license": as long as it conveys the general idea, sometimes even in an abstract form, it's okay. And it can work even if the artwork wasn't commisioned especially for the game but "borrowed" from somewhere else.
Old 13 February 2021, 11:39   #8
Biscuit
Baked Produce

If you want the orignal cover art from Skychase, King's Table or some sketches from Shadow of the Beast III - it might still be available.

https://www.davidrowe.net/skychase.html
https://www.davidrowe.net/shadow-of-the-beast-iii.html
https://www.davidrowe.net/ragnorock.html

I happened to be looking up stuff about Bill's Tomato Game (also on there but reserved) and remembered this thread.
Old 13 February 2021, 14:54   #9
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Nice. Looks like Beast 3 sold. I wonder where it ended up.