English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Amiga Magazine Rack > AMR contributions

Old 26 October 2007, 09:26   #1
James Junior

Amiga Power back issues - any interest?

I just came across this site by accident and just enjoyed reading an old review of Celtic Legends (what a game!) in the archive section where there are a few old issues of Amiga Power. (what a mag)

I have somewhere in the depths of my attic almost evey issue of Amiga Power ever printed from number 1 through to the very last flimsy issue (replete with cyclists of the apocalypse and an extremely sarcastic review of Alien Breed 3D giving Team 17 one last stab in the eye) before they went bust.

Subject to interest levels I could potentially retrieve these magazines and start scanning in some of the old reviews/ content to help complete your site's archives.

Please let me know if you would be interested and I will consider braving the horror of the attic and my GF's disapproval...

Old 26 October 2007, 09:31   #2
Graham Humphrey

Hi and welcome to EAB

I think this thread should be moved to the AMR contributions forum, I'm sure they'd be interested to have any content scanned that isn't online already.
Old 26 October 2007, 09:32   #3
Dizzy
Pirate

Hi and welcome JJ

sounds nice, but first you might wanna visit this site http://amr.abime.net/issues_5
Old 26 October 2007, 19:15   #4
DamienD
Banned

Hello James Junior,

Welcome to EAB

That's a very kind offer you've put forwardthere

As Graham suggested, thread moved into the AMR section where best suited and I'm sure the AMR team will reply soon.
Old 26 October 2007, 19:49   #5
Paul_s

If you're selling them chap let me know how much you'd like for them all
Old 26 October 2007, 23:07   #6
Galaxy

James Junior,

We've got AP covered fairly well between us. However, if you would like to do some scanning please concentrate on the later issues (50 onwards) as I'm working my way through the earlier issues, and sadly don't have many later issues. Be sure to check what is on AMR first though, a few of those late issues are already scanned.
Old 26 October 2007, 23:39   #7
DamienD
Banned

...and you should check out the AMR FAQs which will assist with questions / answers on how best to scan / what resolution etc.
Old 28 October 2007, 10:19   #8
James Junior

Okay - when I get chance I will make a list of which issues I have and see if I can fill in any blanks...

Cheers

Old 28 October 2007, 10:21   #9
James Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
If you're selling them chap let me know how much you'd like for them all
I probably would consisder selling them as much as I love the mag they're just gathering dust in my attic.

Once I have checked which issues I have I'll let you have a list of what I have and what condition each is in. From memory most are pretty mint.

I don't have the cover disks anymore however, most of the disks corrupted so I sadly had to throw them away.

Old 28 October 2007, 10:26   #10
blade002
Zone Friend

Amiga Power = The Worst Amiga Publication in History!.

Poor Screen Grab technology resulting in pathetic looking, grainy washed out screenshots.

Poor ratings for so many classic and Amazing Amiga game titles.

Poor layout..

The list continues.

TBH - If i were in the market to buy an Amiga back then ( already had one ) and i picked up Amiga Power in the newagents, i would have been totally put off the Amiga!.. It made the graphics look comparable to a C64. It made the Amiga look REAL BAD.
Old 28 October 2007, 11:02   #11
Graham Humphrey

We've had this discussion many times before...

No they didn't. They told things how they saw them. And they were incredibly funny. "Grainy washed out screenshots"? I don't think so.

If you want to see magazines making the Amiga look bad, how about all the mags who gave games artificially high marks after Escom relaunched the Amiga to encourage people to "keep the Amiga alive" (when it had the opposite effect)?

If you would like to give some examples to back up your points then please do, I would be interested to see them.
Old 28 October 2007, 11:08   #12
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
We've had this discussion many times before...

No they didn't. They told things how they saw them. And they were incredibly funny. "Grainy washed out screenshots"? I don't think so.

If you want to see magazines making the Amiga look bad, how about all the mags who gave games artificially high marks after Escom relaunched the Amiga to encourage people to "keep the Amiga alive" (when it had the opposite effect)?

If you would like to give some examples to back up your points then please do, I would be interested to see them.
Hey buddy, you sound kind of pissed off. Relax, Relax.. its just my opinion ok I bought a number of issues of Amiga Power ( would buy them when they sold out of the better mags ) and found it to be the crappy compared to most other Amiga publications. What i saw is what i saw, and this is how i saw it ( Amiga Games reviews are more complex in seeing it as they did ).

I am not trying to get into a provocative situation here, i had no idea it had been discussed before, and if it had and i was part of the discussion then i would have forgot ( a lot of shit on my mind ), so again my good friend, its just an observation of mine, and your 1000% entitled to yours.

The only examples i can give is too to grab my previous copies of Amiga Power out and compare to CU Amiga, The One, TGM.. etc.. yes its true there were "other" publications that were crap as well, but i am talking about Amiga Power and not the others.

And i think AP were try hards, trying to be so different in their opinions on what should get rated a good review or bad review that they just ended up sounding like idiots.

There was only so much you could do with an Amiga Title, and they were expecting the Holy Grail with every game, and in my honest opinion, the Holy Grail was reached many times but still many times not "all" it wasn't good enough for AP.

Last edited by blade002; 28 October 2007 at 11:17.
Old 28 October 2007, 11:20   #13
Graham Humphrey

Hey, I'm not pissed off, I'm just interested to know why you think this, that's all

And you are entitled to your opinion, even if you are wrong

Indeed this has been discussed in the past, don't know if you took part in those discussions though. I always do, mind you, which is how I remember them

Hmmm, now while I certainly don't agree with all their reviews, I would say they were one of the few mags that said WHY they did or didn't like a game and gave a coherent argument for it. They never, ever fell for the hype for any game and said what they really thought of it. They weren't interested in making the Amiga "look bad", only in good games. And it was very well written and damn funny to boot. But then that's just me

It's one of those mags that always divides opinion.
Old 28 October 2007, 11:55   #14
Galaxy

Even though AP is far from perfect I always found it an entertaining read and am a bit sad I never managed to get a complete set.

In general I think it's over-rated and I don't believe that their reviews were as balanced as they claimed, but it was still one of the most interesting Amiga games mags.

I find blade's screenshot comments interesting - IMO AP's screenshots were not too bad, esp when compared to some other magazines at the same time.

I ought to point out that a few more complete issues have been added recently (see AMR home page). No. 10 will be online some time in the next few days (hopefully tomorrow though).
Old 28 October 2007, 23:16   #15
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Junior View Post
I probably would consisder selling them as much as I love the mag they're just gathering dust in my attic.

Once I have checked which issues I have I'll let you have a list of what I have and what condition each is in. From memory most are pretty mint.

I don't have the cover disks anymore however, most of the disks corrupted so I sadly had to throw them away.
Excellent chap let me know via PM when you're ready and we can sort out payment etc - I love AP

No problems regarding the coverdisks - got them all in adf format here
Old 31 March 2020, 14:24   #16
jarre

The Missing Amiga Power Issue 5 in the zone (if it is still missing)
Old 31 March 2020, 20:54   #17
jarre

also got those ones, without numbers, lemme if i have to image or scan some

Attachment 66656

Attachment 66657

got more but will make a list lateron......................

Last edited by jarre; 18 November 2020 at 13:11.
Old 31 March 2020, 21:10   #18
jarre

i also have:

Amiga Magazine 98, 105, 106, 107, 110 and 118

Amiga Format Collection 1 to 11

Amiga User International 39, 40, 41, 44, 45 and 46

Amiga Computing NOV93, MAY94 and MAY95

The One OKT93 A+B, SEP93 A+B and AUG93 A

Amiga Shopper 25, 32, 35, 36, 45 and 49 A+B

let me know if something have to be imaged or scanned

Last edited by jarre; 31 March 2020 at 22:19.
Old 31 March 2020, 22:50   #19
redblade
Zone Friend

I need to get rid of my collection of old Amiga magazines, so if people want to cut them up and scan them I could send it to them, they have to pay postage tho..