English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 06 April 2007, 17:30   #1
Murple

ClassicWB install questions

Im considering installing ClassicWB since it seems to have a nice set of tools which I could set up myself, but, why not use it if someone's already done the configuring haha.

I don't have a Mini-IDE to IDE cable, so I cant mount the A1200 drive and copy files. I could GET a cable, but I'd prefer not to since I need the money for other things.

I don't have UAE running, and dont really want to set it up if I can avoid it.

What I do have is an Amiga 1200 with both a network card and a PCMCIA Compact Flash reader. I have a Linux computer which is able to mount the ClassicWB System.hdf and see all the files on it fine. I can modify them and work with them as if they were any other hard drive partition. I can also mount ADFs in the same way (I guess Amiga floppies use the same filesystem as hard drives), so I can modify stuff on the ClassicWB Real_Amiga_Install.ADF if needed.

Looking here... http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/instructions.htm

Quote: Creating "System.zip" in WinUAE

Can I do whatever I need by just mounting the disk image and using Linux tools? The instructions talk about using Dopus, but looking at the screenshots it looks like its just making a big zip file. Is it doing anything special that I couldn't do wit Linux zip?

The System.zip I expect to just transfer to my Amiga with the Compact Flash card.

Quote: In order to use this Workbench, you MUST follow the install procedure provided.
You'll need a valid Workbench 3.0/3.1 ADF, without one the install will fail. Vital and copyright files contained on the disk will be copied during the installation.
Quote: Boot your Workbench disk and manually delete all workbench related files on DH0:, except "System.zip".

What files should I delete, and what should I keep? I have WorkBench 3.0, but only on the hard drive. I dont have either original WB install disks or ADFs of WorkBench. I have WB 1.3 on floppy somewhere, but that's not much use here. Which files from WB does the ClassicWB want, so I can either leave them in place on the drive or create a floppy with them.

Another approach I thought of would be to format a Compact Flash card as an Amiga filesystem, mount it in Linux, mount System.hdf in Linux, and copy the whole filesystem over to the CF, and then just manually copy all the files to my Amiga rather than using the ClassicWB installation disk. Im pretty confident I can mount a CF with an Amiga partition in Linux as easily as I can mount a FAT95 partition. Can you format a CF with an Amiga partition in Linux though? Im not sure that Linux has a mkaffs tool.

I guess if I knew what files ClassicWB needed from WorkBench, I could also mount the System.hdf in Linux, drop the files in place in the image, then create an Amiga filesystem on the Flash card and transfer all the files to it and then to the Amiga, and possibly just bypass the install floppy for ClassicWB.

I have an Amiga 1200 with a 12 Gauge accelerator thats got a 68030 50Mhz with an FPU and 32 megs RAM (in addition to the Amiga's board memory). I'm using a 1084S monitor. Looking at the ClassicWB versions, I have sufficient power for the ClassicWB ADVSP, other than not having VGA. Would you recommend using the ADVSP to get the nicer icons etc, and just run in a more RGB-suitable screen size? Or should I stick with the Full version?

Old 06 April 2007, 17:53   #2
Gordon
Settler

the way i did it was on my 8mb ram amiga was
1. format HD on amiga
2. copy the contents of the ClassicWB AdvSP HDF on to my CF card
3. put the CF card in amiga and copy all the folders on your new HD partition
Old 06 April 2007, 18:25   #3
Murple

Wouldnt formatting the Amiga drive stomp all over the WB files needed for the install? Or do you mean format a second drive on the system, leaving the original in place? I only have one drive on it currently since I dont have an IDE splitter for adding a second one externally (yet!)...

Old 06 April 2007, 18:32   #4
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Do you have a compact flash reader in your Linux PC? If so, copy the files from your Linux PC on to the Compact Flash Card. Mount the card onto the Amiga. Copy all the filesfrom the compact flash card over to your Hard disk.
Old 06 April 2007, 19:05   #5
Murple

Yeah I've been using the CF card to move files from my PC to Amiga (though now I have ethernet on the Amiga so I can just do that). So, I can just drop the files from the System.hdf on top of my standard WB3.0 system and it'll work? (After making backups of the system, of course!)

What about filesystem differences? Im going to go try creating an Amiga filesystem on the CF card and see if that works. If it doesnt, are there any issues with using a FAT filesystem on the CF and copying the files to the Amiga? Linux handles the permissions of Amiga files OK, but FAT is a Windows filesystem and doesnt have much of a permissions system (like what you can change with chmod in unix or protect in Amiga). I suppose I can manually check whats on the Amiga vs. the mounted System.hdf and manually run protect on anything that needs changing.

Im going to go and try to format my CF card as an Amiga disk now, and take a backup of my Amiga and go from there. Thanks.

Old 06 April 2007, 19:39   #6
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murple
Wouldnt formatting the Amiga drive stomp all over the WB files needed for the install? Or do you mean format a second drive on the system, leaving the original in place? I only have one drive on it currently since I dont have an IDE splitter for adding a second one externally (yet!)...
No, on your main drive
Old 06 April 2007, 19:40   #7
Gordon
Settler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopos2000
Do you have a compact flash reader in your Linux PC? If so, copy the files from your Linux PC on to the Compact Flash Card. Mount the card onto the Amiga. Copy all the filesfrom the compact flash card over to your Hard disk.
thats what i said mate
Old 06 April 2007, 19:42   #8
lopos2000
Zone Friend

I know. I just wanted to confirm it that it works
Old 06 April 2007, 19:47   #9
Gordon
Settler

i thought i was invisible for a minute.

i just hope this guys gets to enjoyy the benifits of classicWB.
Old 06 April 2007, 23:45   #10
Murple

I caved in and bought Amiga Forever. The last owner of my Amiga 1200 set up a really small DH0: partition and I dont have the OS3.0 install disks to repartition. I'm backing up all my software and will repartition and install OS3.1 (I only have 3.0 ROMs, but apparently OS3.1 will still run with the older ROM, just runs better with 3.1 ROM). Then I'll just drop ClassicWB on after that. And if I completely hose my system, itll be a learning experience haha

Old 07 April 2007, 10:02   #11
Murple

Well, I got it working from Linux without using UAE. If anyone finds this thread in a search for how to do this, I'll gladly help anybody who had the same problem as me get it going without needing to use Winblows or UAE.

That said though, after I got it working and played with it for about an hour, I decided I really wasn't very thrilled with it. Yeah, it's cool and well made. It has lots of cool features that I want. However, it made a bunch of configuration choices differently than I would, it installed lots of stuff I'll never use (PAL configs, foreign language keymaps and locale info, etc). The amount of time it'd take me to bang ClassicWB into a condition where I'd be happy with it, I might as well start with a blank WorkBench and set it up myself. I'll probably learn more that way, and not end up with as much junk on my drive. Kinda wish I'd known all this prior to shelling out $40 on Amiga Forever and blowing away my hard drive partitions, but no big deal.

I burned the ClassicWB filesystem to a CD so I can look at it for hints as I rebuild my system. Like I said, there are a lot of cool elements to it. I'm just real particular about how my computers work, and I've got lots of habits from using Linux for 15 years haha.

If anyone needs help though, I did give a quick crappy summary of how I installed ClassicWB from Linux without UAE in the ClassicWB feedback thread in this forum. I can try to give more detailed directions to anyone trying to get it working, though I'm not sure the way I did it was really ideal. It worked though

Old 10 May 2007, 22:20   #12
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Rather than start a new post (possibly the wrong choice) I thought I would post my question here....

Now I have been working with classic Workbench for a few months is there anything to stop me backing up my system partition in DOpus (ie create a zip file of all contents of DH0: to a location and call it system) as mentioned in the install documentation of CW and then should I ever need to reinstall I could use the CW floppy to reinstall my own system zip file?
Does this make sense?

The reason I want to know is if my hard drive packs up I will have a full backup of everything - Classic Workbench plus all my refinements...
Old 11 July 2007, 21:24   #13
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Yes i don't see why you can't do that.Open Dopus highlight everything on DH0: in the left box then click on the right box and pick what dir you want the zip in,then click on zip and name it ...done.
Old 12 July 2007, 10:55   #14
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

It does indeed work fine. Done it myself plenty of times.