English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 July 2021, 13:52   #1
ed777

will xcopy copy original game disks?

i seem to remember that it would not do this. i could copy cracked games only. is this right?
Old 10 July 2021, 14:13   #2
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
That's right. all the commercial disk copiers were junk. The only way to reliably copy an original protected disk was to use the diskcopy command supplied with Workbench. If the copy still has issues, Diskdoctor would sort it out.
Old 10 July 2021, 14:59   #3
torsti76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Matt View Post
That's right. all the commercial disk copiers were junk. The only way to reliably copy an original protected disk was to use the diskcopy command supplied with Workbench. If the copy still has issues, Diskdoctor would sort it out.
At least tag this as being ironic...

Gesendet von meinem XQ-BT52 mit Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2021, 15:09   #4
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed777 View Post
i seem to remember that it would not do this. i could copy cracked games only. is this right?
No, it depends on the disk's format, and whether there is a copy protection or not. However, the success ratio is kinda low.
Old 10 July 2021, 15:14   #5
torsti76

You can try with cyclone and the external drive dongle. But this also won't copy everything.

Old 10 July 2021, 15:15   #6
Nobby_UK

Some games would let you think you had a copy
only to laugh at you and call you a Pirate later on
Old 10 July 2021, 15:36   #7
zipper

My Syncro Express II / III did copy everything I tried. At worst it could take 30 - 40 minutes and several tries. It was hard dependent on the floppy drives, they should run at similar speed as the system tried to syncronize the drives. Sort of wishful thinking - the result wasn't a true clone like what the industrial copiers do.
Old 10 July 2021, 16:06   #8
ed777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcuz View Post
No, it depends on the disk's format, and whether there is a copy protection or not. However, the success ratio is kinda low.
i meant with copy protection on games, like street fighter 2 (i tried copying that i remember) , etc.
Old 10 July 2021, 16:45   #9
jotd
This cat is no more

some custom mfm disk formats could be copied. for instance Zool could be copied but it had a codewheel. icopiable mfm format were probably more reliable than kongtracks prevented standard track rips but then warpers came

but longtracks or special copylock/speedlock tracks could not be copied without cyclone or such.
Old 10 July 2021, 17:49   #10
DJ Mike

I've always been fascinated by disk protections and longtracks and whatnot. As I understand it, the Amiga's built in floppy drive couldn't write longtracks as the controller won't physically pulse at the speed/bitrate required. Did Cyclone hardware force the drivespeed down so the head can write the data over a longer amount of time?

Last edited by DJ Mike; 10 July 2021 at 18:12.
Old 10 July 2021, 18:01   #11
TjLaZer

Some of the best copiers were the ones that got updates for what were called Parameters. They would list all the games it would copy. It would replicate the errors or "crack" the game so it would work.
Old 10 July 2021, 19:03   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

cracking doesn't count

Yes cyclone used special hardware to instruct DF1: to slow speed down. AFAIR you could only read with DF0: and write with DF1: (or any other external drive)

Worked pretty well for a lot of games I tried. Specially on copylocks where it displayed some kind of smiley at track 0 head 1 because it probably recognized the widespread format.
Old 10 July 2021, 19:18   #13
torsti76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
cracking doesn't count

Yes cyclone used special hardware to instruct DF1: to slow speed down. AFAIR you could only read with DF0: and write with DF1: (or any other external drive)

Worked pretty well for a lot of games I tried. Specially on copylocks where it displayed some kind of smiley at track 0 head 1 because it probably recognized the widespread format.
One of the hardware's tricks also is that it effectively swaps the read and write signal lines of the external drive to replicate the copy protection exactly.
In effect, the external drive is used in a completely out-of-spec way.