English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 28 June 2021, 11:19   #1
Ulysses13

Question Hidden drawers becoming visible

Hello.

As I'm moving about the workbench, I'm noticing some drawers which are intended to be hidden, such as 'classes' are becoming visible, even with the show only icons setting on.

When I look at all the files in that window, the classes folder has no .info file, so how and why has it become permanently visible, and how can I hide it again?
Old 28 June 2021, 12:50   #2
Daedalus

If it's visible when the window is set to "Only Icons", then it must have had an icon file applied for some reason. This can happen if you change some properties in the icon information window for that icon, for example, since those properties need to be saved in the drawer's .info file. A generic icon will be created in that case so that the changes can be saved.

If you're looking at the files in Workbench, the .info files aren't shown even if the window is listing the contents in text mode. You need to use the Shell to see if there's really a .info file in there or not.
Old 28 June 2021, 16:44   #3
Ulysses13

Ah, that's got it. Didn't even think of that. Weird that it had a .info file, but that didn't show up in Workbench even if I chose to show all files.

Didn't realise files could still hide from that.
Old 28 June 2021, 18:00   #4
Daedalus

Yeah, as far as Workbench is concerned, the .info file is sort of an extension of the main file or drawer, and not a file in its own right, so it only shows the parent file and treats the .info file in the same way when you do things like move, copy, rename or delete the file. It keeps things simple that way...

OS4 includes a separate option to also show .info files in Workbench, but that hasn't made it into OS3 (yet).