English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 January 2012, 06:56   #1
Vegas

Short Midi interface / Octamed SS question

Hi everyone, i am using Octamed Soundstudio with a Midi Interface (AM-MX) and i wondered... It wont send any Midi signals unless the Midi-In port is connected to something. As soon as i connect a keyboard, it works fine. Which seems strange, since the keyboard doesnt send any sync or whatever. I played around with the settings in Octamed (the Amiga is supposed to be Midi Master). Also i tried another interface but with the same result. Is that normal behaviour or am i missing something?
Old 03 January 2012, 14:01   #2
Amiga1992

I don't think that is normal... probably some setting in Octamed is causing this.
Old 03 January 2012, 14:33   #3
AmigaFriend

The problem lies surely in the Midi interface. I did not have any issues with Octamed on that regard. Even my first MIDI interface had the in port busted for quite some time and i worked with all my synths sending Midi commands through the 3 out ports of the device.
Once with a MOTU Midi array in a studio I had this behavior and i just plugged in a midi cable from the Through port to the midi-in creating a feedback loop and solved the problem.
Old 03 January 2012, 14:36   #4
Amiga1992

But he has tried with another MIDI interface, too.
Old 03 January 2012, 15:31   #5
AmigaFriend

Indeed you're right I missed that part. It's a strange behavior indeed that i've never encountered from OctaMED Pro v2 to SoundStudio. I say this because in some gigs in the 90's I used exclusively the 3x Out ports with Octamed without having the in port connected.

Vegas maybe you should try the settings and see if the Input Active is not enabled or the Send Out Input is also not enabled. Try also Slave Mode Active and uncheck Ext Sync just to see if things change.

The other plausible explanation is some problem with the serial port of the Amiga? Maybe a long stretch but anyway with old machines everything is possible now.
Old 03 January 2012, 16:27   #6
Amiga1992

I think one of the options you told him to check will fix his problem
Old 03 January 2012, 18:37   #7
Vegas

Thanks a lot for your responses! The serial port should be fine. I got the same behaviour with an A1200 and an A600. I changed the settings but without any success. Connecting an Out to the In didnt give a reaction at all. Guess its really the Interface then. The other Midi Interface refuses to send anything except the Through signal, all of a sudden.

Normally it wouldnt be such a problem, since most devices have Midi In and Out, but i am syncing a Mssiah to Octamed, which has only In, so i have to run a third device all the time. Well, Mssiah is a chapter on its own
Old 03 January 2012, 18:42   #8
AmigaFriend

You should also try your interfaces with other MIDI programs like Bars & Pipes or Music-x just to be sure. IF it works normally with those maybe is just an oddity on the interface that makes Octamed panic, if the other programs behave exactly like Octamed you then can rule out the program and blame the interface.

Good luck mate.
Old 03 January 2012, 22:03   #9
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

How do you know that it isn't sending any midi data? Did you use a midi monitor or is mssiah just not syncing? It took me a while to get mssiah to sync properly as well, so that may be the root of the problem.
If you need tips for mssiah and Amiga connection/usage, I might be able to help!
Old 04 January 2012, 02:44   #10
Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpect View Post
You should also try your interfaces with other MIDI programs like Bars & Pipes or Music-x just to be sure. IF it works normally with those maybe is just an oddity on the interface that makes Octamed panic, if the other programs behave exactly like Octamed you then can rule out the program and blame the interface.

Good luck mate.
Thanks! I have not checked any other Midi software so far but i will try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthesize Me View Post
How do you know that it isn't sending any midi data? Did you use a midi monitor or is mssiah just not syncing? It took me a while to get mssiah to sync properly as well, so that may be the root of the problem.
The working Midi interface has some control leds, they are quite handy. Also i double checked with other gear. Apart from the described behaviour, its working fine. Its just that i kinda run out of space here and therefore looking for a way to save some equipment on this setup.

Quote:
If you need tips for mssiah and Amiga connection/usage, I might be able to help!
Also, thanks a lot! Yeah, Mssiah reactions on Midi commands really seem unpredictable. When i got it, i just sampled the sounds most of the time. Lately i went to using sequencer running in sync with something else. It kinda feels like Protools in 8bit, doesnt it? Actually id love to hear some stuff from you (pretty sure, im not the only one). Do you have a link?
Old 04 January 2012, 14:45   #11
Amiga1992

I think I know what it could be. My interfaces have select-able THRU/OUT switches. Maybe your output is set as THRU instead of OUT. That could do what you are getting, or maybe not, but make sure it's set as OUT and not THRU.

MSSIAH is a bit of a bitch when it comes to receiving signals, too. You might want to try another receiving device, just to be sure.

I can't find any AM-MX interface on the Big Book of Amiga Hardware, maybe you can post a picture.
Old 05 January 2012, 05:03   #12
Vegas

Its the one on this picture: http://riotamiga.blogsport.de/images/RiotAMIGAA600.jpg

I also havent found it yet somewhere on the net. Neither did i find the other one, which doesnt even have a company sticker or something. Maybe its some diy device. Anyway, there is an option to switch the function of the Out ports, but i already tried it. Guess i just stick to the keyboard for now and be happy that its working at all

Last edited by Vegas; 05 January 2012 at 05:19.
Old 16 January 2012, 20:10   #13
Synthesize Me
Amigaholics Anonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
Also, thanks a lot! Yeah, Mssiah reactions on Midi commands really seem unpredictable. When i got it, i just sampled the sounds most of the time. Lately i went to using sequencer running in sync with something else. It kinda feels like Protools in 8bit, doesnt it? Actually id love to hear some stuff from you (pretty sure, im not the only one). Do you have a link?
Yeah, I really love the mssiah. Its very to similar to modern day DAWS which makes it so much easier and quicker to make tunes on the C64 compared to using the classic tracker format! I really wish there was something comparably on the Amiga...

If you really want to bring out the best of the C64 and mssiah, then I can't stress enough the importance of installing the SID2SID (second SID chip) and getting your hands on an original 1351 mouse! I was using an Amiga mouse for a while but for some reason it would totally screw with the typing on the 64's keyboard, so after getting a 1351 everything worked perfectly! The SID2SID mod is actually pretty easy to do even though you need to put together the board yourself (there are some sellers on eBay that sell the components needed in one pack). It was actually my first major mod and use of the soldering iron and I got it working!

Unfortunately I don't yet have a website or my chiptune music hosted anywhere because for the longest time I didn't even have an artist name! I'm always making all different kinds of music and have several different projects going on at once so it's hard to finish some stuff up. I have a ton of half finished songs but nothing I've completely finished or recorded and converted to mp3. But I'm working on it, and I promise I'll have something to share soon!
It doesn't help that I've been wasting so much time on trying to get the delfina working so I can make some 8+ chanel MODs...

Anyway, I hope you get everything working. Keep us posted!
Old 16 January 2012, 22:35   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Yeah, I really love the mssiah. Its very to similar to modern day DAWS which makes it so much easier and quicker to make tunes on the C64 compared to using the classic tracker format!
I am sorry, but most of the power of the SID can [o]only[/o] be harnessed by smart software tricks that the creators of trackers have come to create, and you can't get this with MSSIAH. MSSIAH is pretty damn basic, you can't make anything complex like the textures coming from multispeed tracking tunes.

What MSSIAH does is bring a cheap and EASY alternative for SIMPLE SID sounds to be incorporated on a modern setup run by MIDI.