English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 21 December 2020, 11:30   #1
ItsTheSmell

A1200.net delivery charges

Last week I received my 2nd email offering me the chance to get my new A1200 case in time for Christmas, All for the massive delivery charge of 20 euros. Are they taking the proverbial? Its a small box with an empty case and they want everyone to pay 20 euros. Last week I bought a 17.5kg AV Receiver from Portugal to the UK for £25 and it took 3 days so to me it feels like A1200.net are taking advantage of our hobby and ripping us off.

Does anyone else feel this?
Old 21 December 2020, 11:54   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheSmell View Post
Last week I received my 2nd email offering me the chance to get my new A1200 case in time for Christmas, All for the massive delivery charge of 20 euros. Are they taking the proverbial? Its a small box with an empty case and they want everyone to pay 20 euros. Last week I bought a 17.5kg AV Receiver from Portugal to the UK for £25 and it took 3 days so to me it feels like A1200.net are taking advantage of our hobby and ripping us off.

I agree with you. Its not our fault, people kept moaning about the keys in the first place, which massively delayed everything.

In the end, I just wanted the most expensive part of bundle, so I reluctanly paid 20 euros.
Old 21 December 2020, 12:06   #3
ItsTheSmell

I almost did myself but I couldnt find my bank card, then I remembered Ive already paid for the postage. Shipping costs for the key caps will be a couple of Euros at worst. I dont think I will be funding any of their future campaigns. I mean it isnt like we are share holders in their business, with KS and Indiegogo they keep the rights while we fund it.
Old 23 December 2020, 16:01   #4
Deaths_Head

Are A1200 key caps available from anywhere been googling and they seem to be unavailable. Looking at the above comments doesn't inspire confidence.
Old 23 December 2020, 16:10   #5
ItsTheSmell

Not yet no.
Old 23 December 2020, 17:54   #6
demolition
Unregistered User

If they had to calculate individual shipping charge costs it might end up becoming even more expensive due to the higher level of administration.. I doubt they are making much money on these projects so if money was their motivation, they might as well just take any other boring job and eliminate the risks.

I don't get why people complain about the cost of luxury items. If you feel it is worth it, pay the price. If you think it is too expensive, don't get it. It is very simple.
It's not like it's a medicine that your life may depend on.
Old 23 December 2020, 18:20   #7
Megatron
Peace through tyranny!

Quote:

No, I think you and those who whine about this as well seem to miss the simple fact that the shipping price for everyone is kept the same.. it is an average, so parcels to Scandinavia or Italy or Malta it would be a deficit (way more expensive than the 20 euros charged). Besides, someone gets paid to split the packages and that person is being paid too.

Wasn't that hard to understand right? You're welcome!

Last edited by Megatron; 23 December 2020 at 18:28.
Old 23 December 2020, 18:27   #8
ItsTheSmell

I'm gonna apply for a job at A1200.net then. He must be on a hundred pounds an hour
Old 26 December 2020, 23:16   #9
Paul_s

Quote:

Depends on the courier/service they're using. Plus costs for packaging?
I don't think 20euro is unreasonable.

I've paid double that for a single laserdisc from abroad

Last edited by Paul_s; 26 December 2020 at 23:22.
Old 27 December 2020, 01:41   #10
YouKnowWho
Banned

Logistics is a nightmare now with the pandemic. Air freight capacity is seriously reduced, space at a premium and even ground lanes are getting disrupted. Add to this the huge volume with people shopping from home more, and increasing costs and a premium for a guaranteed delivery is completely in keeping with that's happening in the world with logistics challenges.
Old 27 December 2020, 03:17   #11
ItsTheSmell

Ive paid €28 for delivery and now they want an additional €20, so €48 for an almost empty package is not on. They're making a lot of money on delivery charges.
Old 27 December 2020, 10:08   #12
jarp

For me 20 euros seems reasonable for shipping a product where p&p costs are not hidden into price of the product nor there are huge company with fine tuned logistics etc. I seriously doubt they will make any money out of it but of course feel free to create your own kickstarter project and see how well it goes during global pandemic...
Old 27 December 2020, 10:26   #13
mcgeezer

I backed them for the carbon case and black key caps, i’m happy to wait for all items to be dispatched at once.

I think their communication is pretty good from their updates but they can be long winded, it would be good if they could summarise their updates through a set of bullet points at the header of their updates.
Old 27 December 2020, 11:11   #14
Paul_s

Quote:
Ive paid €28 for delivery and now they want an additional €20, so €48 for an almost empty package is not on. They're making a lot of money on delivery charges.
Where are the cases shipped from?

Looking at the site - ADZZER PTE. LTD. is a far eastern company in Singapore, so presume the cases are manufactured/shipped direct from there - additional charges will most likely be import duty/VAT with it being outside the EU.
Old 27 December 2020, 12:19   #15
wiz12

€20 shipping may seem like a lot to pay but I was happy to be given that option of receiving my CD32 themed case plus original keycaps all together now rather than wait another year at least.
Old 27 December 2020, 12:40   #16
duga

Quote:
20 + 28 for what? Only shipping or VAT and customs too?

Was it sent insured and/or tracked?

The package is not a small one either, even though it should be possible to send as "letter" (at least from Sweden).
Old 27 December 2020, 14:17   #17
Daedalus

Quote:
Yeah, it's a lot of money, but until you actually know what courier service they're using, you can't say with any confidence that they're making any money on the delivery charges. First off, as was already suggested, are they including VAT etc. in that so that you're not stung for VAT and duty when it arrives on your doorstep? A Kickstarter doesn't necessarily include such fees, especially if it's appealing to an international audience. And if you wanted fast shipping, you're looking at much greater expenses there, especially with air freight greatly reduced as already pointed out. These things are coming from the far side of the world, not a couple of days' drive across Europe. Slow freight will take weeks, so air freight is the only way to go.

Just out of interest, I checked the cost for Parcel Force for a 500g small parcel to China from the UK. A 3 day delivery time is £63.70, with 4 day delivery costing £47.50. Yes, there are cheaper options (usually slower and/or without complete tracking), but it just shows that shipping can easily get expensive very quickly, so it's not at all a given that they're profiteering on the delivery charges.
Old 27 December 2020, 16:04   #18
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
The cases are in the UK. Hence why I "whined" as Megatron put it.
Old 27 December 2020, 16:06   #19
mariovieira

Quote:
Last week I bought a 17.5kg AV Receiver from Portugal to the UK for £25 and it took 3 days so to me it feels like A1200.net are taking advantage of our hobby and ripping us off.
As a Portuguese guy that sends and receives a lot of stuff throughout the year to/from EU, I can tell you that shipping through our national postal service is much cheaper than most European countries...
Old 27 December 2020, 16:29   #20
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
The cases are in the UK. Hence why I "whined" as Megatron put it.
Yes, but shipping+handling+customs from Asia to UK isn't free and I can only assume the UK warehouse are not handling the shipments as a charity either.