English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 01 April 2015, 21:37   #1
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

WB 1.3 HD installation prob: "key-1 out of range"

Hi,
I still have three real Amigas (500,600HD and 2000) but this post concerns WinUAE 3.0.0 (2014.12.17).
I did yet not try older versions of WinUA.
The problem for me is to install WB 1.3 on a 100 mb HDF.
Config is A500, 1 mb, KS1.3, no extra tuning ;-)
Formatting the hd and copying the files from df0: to the dh0: drive works without any problems.
After booting from the freshly setup hdf this warning pops up:
Error validating disk
Festplatte
Key -1 out of range
Clicking 'Cancel' gives access to the Workbench, which is from then on running normal.
Any idea, what's wrong?
Maybe the given name for the hd is to long? I Don't think so...

On real Amigas I did setup several hd's(A600HD/A2000). On the A500 never ever. So in WinUAE it is the first time for me.
I still own my first A500 purchased late 1987. In the early 1990ies I replaced a 16-pin custom chip with a soldering iron. (it was the chip which controls the joystick-port and other stuff)
One golden rule in the golden era of the A500 was: Never ever plug in joysticks or mice while the Amiga is running. I broke the rule by mistake and this one special chip was killed.

Cheers,
Rick
Old 01 April 2015, 21:59   #2
Genlock
Out to Grass

As far as i can remember, I had to boot from a Floppy in winuae to access my 1.3 workbench which was on a folder drive.
The lowest OS is Workbench 2.1 which you can use to create a .hdf .
I seem to remember having trouble with the disk validator...
buy iam sure Tony will correct me if iam wrong.
Old 01 April 2015, 22:21   #3
thomas

Using a HDF with Kick 1.3 is a bit more complicated than with later versions.

The most Amiga-like way is to click on "enable RDB mode" in the HDF properties. But then, like on a real Amiga, you have to use HDToolbox or HDInstTool to create a partition which can be formatted and used. Be sure to change the HD tool's settings to use uaehf.device instead of scsi.device.

If you don't want this, you have to deal with file system limits. The limit for the standard file system (a.k.a. OFS) is 8 MB IIRC. So your 100 MB file is by far too big.

To overcome the 8 MB limit you have to use FastFileSystem. First you need to save FastFileSystem from your WB 1.3 disk into a Windows directory. Then in the add harddrive GUI you select the saved FastFileSystem file as file system. Not sure about this, but you might have to use the format program from a CLI or shell and specify FFS. The initialize disk menu will not let you select FFS.
Old 01 April 2015, 23:22   #4
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Dangerous View Post
I still own my first A500 purchased late 1987. In the early 1990ies I replaced a 16-pin custom chip with a soldering iron. (it was the chip which controls the joystick-port and other stuff)
One golden rule in the golden era of the A500 was: Never ever plug in joysticks or mice while the Amiga is running. I broke the rule by mistake and this one special chip was killed.

Cheers,
Rick
What was so special about this chip?...
Old 02 April 2015, 01:34   #5
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I always use A590/A2091 for A500 HD, SCSI 0 for A590 using the A590_1.17 setup disk & SCSI 6 for A2091 using the A2091_1.27 setup disk.
Old 02 April 2015, 06:22   #6
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Clicking 'Cancel' gives access to the Workbench, which is from then on running normal.
Any idea, what's wrong?
Maybe the given name for the hd is to long? I Don't think so...
I doubt the volume name has anything to do with it. As far as Workbench running normally, it may seem so at a first glance. However, any time a volume fails to validate, the system blocks any write access to help prevent further errors. Thus, if you try to do anything that requires writing to such a volume, it will fail.
Old 02 April 2015, 06:33   #7
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

I used the A590/A2091 controller and used the PrepHD from the A2091 install disk. The program will assume that you want two partitions: one for WB itself, and the other one for Work.

If you use the A590 install disk instead, be aware that PrepHD won't work in this case since it is designed for XT drives only. But your hard drives will still show up in HDToolBox.

Toni told me that the SCSI unit number is irrelevant.
Old 02 April 2015, 08:00   #8
Hewitson

Quote:
Most of us have done that thousands of times without any issues. On the C64 there was even a demo which required you to lick your finger and rub it over the joystick port!
Old 02 April 2015, 09:13   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yeah, it probably is caused by OFS partition size limit.

When using KS 1.3, I recommend to use RDB mode and partition it using some more modern hdtoolbox and KS 3.1. Remember to replace RDB FastFileSystem with 1.3 compatible version.

IMHO only reason to use KS 1.3 tools: if you want to replicate your existing configuration (like A590), including using original partitioning programs. Not because it makes any sense, but because it can be done!

16-pin chip is probably U15 (standard TTL chip, 74LS157) that is most common reason for mouse/joystick movement problems. (Movement only, not buttons!)
Old 02 April 2015, 18:46   #10
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by B14ck W01f View Post

Toni told me that the SCSI unit number is irrelevant.
If you use the PrepHD utility on the A2091 setup disk it expects the unit number to be 6.

The A590 expects unit 0 but, PrepHD doesn't work properly in WinUAE.

It's not just for XT drives, I have used it on a CDTV with a SCSI drive and it works O.K.
Old 02 April 2015, 18:49   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
It's not just for XT drives, I have used it on a CDTV with a SCSI drive and it works O.K.
Version I used surely was XT only.

EDIT: Confirmed A590 install disk with PrepHD supporting SCSI would be nice to have.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 02 April 2015 at 18:54.
Old 04 April 2015, 01:32   #12
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

Maybe I'm too stupid to install WB 1.3 to a hdf which runs on the A500 config.
Maybe this thread could be closed.
Now I successfully installed WB2.04 on a virtual hdf running in the A600HD config .

Some information about my joystick problem in the early 1990ies:
A couple of people in my surroundings late 1980ies/early 1990ies 'killed' the joystick-port by pluggin' in/out the mouse and the joysticks while the amiga was running. This experience was burnt into our minds, believe me or not.
Then around 1991 exactly this happened to me: I re-plugged the mouse and the joystick while the A500 was running. The A500 produced a redish screen and did nothing else. It was blinkin' in red.
By fortune I practised at that time in an IT company and one fellow gave me the hint to replace a certain chip. This fellow, you may call him nowadays a NERD, he was absolutely right.
I replaced the chip and this machine (my 28 years old A500) is still running in 2015.
To name the chip I replaced I have to take the case of and have a look underneath the mainboard.

Cheers,
Rick