English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 October 2017, 14:18   #21
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
You're probably right, although £90-100k goal maybe puts them in a different category. Not even Dizzy met its goal and the remake looked beautiful. A less well known title could scrape £1-2k on Kickstarter, but even then... yeah, not easy.
Isn't the difference here that Babylonian Twins is actually finished where these kickstarters were starting from scratch.
Old 20 October 2017, 14:34   #22
DamienD
Banned

Yup, received the email also.

Very cheeky indeed considering what occurred here on EAB with this

I too wrote a nice email to this guy back then and heard nothing...

Ignored and will not be backing!!!

Last edited by DamienD; 20 October 2017 at 14:46.
Old 20 October 2017, 14:55   #23
trydowave

ive emailed him to see if he can talk to the community and maybe win back some trust. (anythings worth a try at this point)
I also asked if the game was already finished and suggested, if so, it could be released now as a digital download.

If its simply unreleased i cant see why it needs a kickstarter?

waiting for a response.

P.s. Does that support button in his email make any sense to anyone else? It takes me to a sign up page ~(newsletter) but im already signed up?

Last edited by trydowave; 20 October 2017 at 15:15.
Old 20 October 2017, 15:25   #24
NorthWay

The Hunter's Moon re-master was £12500. On a platform with users more used to modern releases and paying for them. Just saying.
Old 20 October 2017, 15:51   #25
Amiga1992

So this person has a game that was abandoned, EAB finds a demo, and spikes enough interest for him to come out of the woodwork, ignore the whole Amiga community except the "I can make money off these fools' nostalgia" part, release a version in mobile and make money off it for years... then keep ignoring the Amiga people that actually brought him back and allowed him to make some money and not give them anything back...

Then when the money runs out because nobody else wants to buy his (shitty) game, he goes all like "hey you know which people I haven't completely milked for cash? The ones who I originally took advantage of!"

Hey Rabah, I hope you are reading this, so here's my message to you: screw you and your lack of respect for the people who kept you fed for quite some time.
I know for a fact a lot of Amiga people, willing to support this guy even though he kept ignoring pleads for the Amiga version to be released, bought his mobile version. I also remember him using constantly the "release the Amiga version eventually" carrot in front of our collective noses, to make it seem like he cared and to keep those nostalgia-blind engaged.

If it wasn't for the Amiga people who sparked interest in his game, he would not have been able to sell copies of the mobile version at all. The whole "sales pitch" on media online for his game was the sob story of Amiga days that EAB brought to light.

Remember System 3 and how they released Putty Squad, a MUCH SUPERIOR game, for free, even though they were planning to make a dime off a PS4 version? That's the kinda "guy" we better support.
Old 20 October 2017, 17:07   #26
Amigajay

Methinks this thread will end up like the Putty Squad one, people come out of the woodwork to slag old developers off and trundle off and download when it came out without an apology.

Tbh people I don’t think we need to head down the abusive route, discuss of course, but until we have an actual Kickstarter of sorts (which we may never get) it’s all a moot point.
Old 20 October 2017, 18:00   #27
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Kickstarter though is pointless in this case. We (me too) already told him years ago ways (e.g. RGCD or Protovision) to distribute a boxed Amiga version plus a digital download. This is how things get done in this small niche market. Seems he has no clue how to handle this. He won't get the "financial reward" he's looking for through Kickstarter. It's still a pretty unknown game. Expecting 1000 supporters is a bit naive.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 20 October 2017 at 19:45.
Old 20 October 2017, 18:07   #28
BippyM
Global Moderator

Good luck to them.. They'll need it!
Old 20 October 2017, 19:55   #29
Amigajay

I think his best chance is having say 50 ltd boxed floppy versions and 50 boxed cd release at say $20 each for the collectors who want physical media to build a little a collectors item =$2000
And digital downloads at $10 each and hope for around 200 sales for another $2000, so $4000 target imo is doable, of course with the support of the community, that of course is another matter going by a lot of comments here!

Plus only physical Amiga game sellers atm will be able to say if these numbers are doable.
Old 20 October 2017, 21:32   #30
happymondays

Yes, no point in Kickstarter, he should just release it right away with a limited boxed edition and a reasonably priced digital download. Anyway, I think Galahad's post might be right here, as with over 2 million downloads for mobile devices (and these were'nt given away free), it seems obvious that it could not have been a complete flop.

I don't have a problem with him wanting some cash for the Amiga version (allegedly already finished about 20 years ago), but just release it for digital download and I will pay. It's that easy, no Kickstarter needed.
Old 20 October 2017, 21:48   #31
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymondays View Post
Yes, no point in Kickstarter, he should just release it right away with a limited boxed edition and a reasonably priced digital download. Anyway, I think Galahad's post might be right here, as with over 2 million downloads for mobile devices (and these were'nt given away free), it seems obvious that it could not have been a complete flop.

I don't have a problem with him wanting some cash for the Amiga version (allegedly already finished about 20 years ago), but just release it for digital download and I will pay. It's that easy, no Kickstarter needed.
It's sold about 1000 copies on Android. I don't know abiut ios. However it's £4 on the ios store and £2.79 on Google play.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 20 October 2017, 22:08   #32
happymondays

I took the figures from the homepage, it pops right to your face when it loads up:

Over 2 million downloads and counting!
Featured by Apple, Google and Microsoft

http://babyloniantwins.com/
Old 20 October 2017, 22:52   #33
DamienD
Banned

Ok then, taking into account the cost of the game on iOS / Android plus the "over 2 million downloads and counting" statement... this guy must be a multi-millionaire by now... and all due to one mediocre game... absolute killer...

Really, if it's been sooooo successful then why now try to target the relatively small Amiga user base with a Kickstarter campaign that's 10+ years too late?

Don't believe the hype people; any older EAB members will remember that we've been burnt before by this guy's broken promises / bullshite!!!

...as much as I'd love to have the full Amiga version (don't care less about other platforms), something doesn't seem right here.

Talk about flogging a dead horse...

Last edited by DamienD; 20 October 2017 at 23:45.
Old 20 October 2017, 23:05   #34
vulture

It's all very strange. I for one wouldn't back it up , not only because of the attitude towards our community , but mainly because I highly doubt the amiga version will be released after the pc one. I might consider buying a reasonably priced digital dl if it's released right away tho. But that's all. Still , his behaviour so far has been s****y!
Old 21 October 2017, 03:32   #35
Selur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Then when the money runs out because nobody else wants to buy his (shitty) game...
This amiga version looks very good, much better then 90% new amiga games, however...

What's wrong with this community?

Most of you did nothing except shout loud.
How about look at yourself first
Old 21 October 2017, 12:04   #36
seuden
uber cool demi god

Don't forget revenue from in-app purchases.
Old 21 October 2017, 12:38   #37
vulture

Are you saying that just because we'd like to have a new game, we should just ignore his bad attitude towards our community?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selur View Post
This amiga version looks very good, much better then 90% new amiga games, however...

What's wrong with this community?

Most of you did nothing except shout loud.
How about look at yourself first
Old 21 October 2017, 14:21   #38
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Is there any proof that this game is even finished? Maybe there are only a few levels or it's buggy as hell and that's the reason why there was no release of the Amiga version. It would also explain why the author simply ignored all requests on releasing the Amiga version.
Old 21 October 2017, 14:41   #39
nobody

I think they will get a PC version in the end and that's all. And that's the reason for Kickstarter, to gather funds for a PC version. Why make a campaign in the first place for a finished game.

If the campaign is successful, then maybe would release an Amiga version for a price and IF it's completed.
Old 21 October 2017, 16:26   #40
Selur

I like sentence
"I can make money off these fools' nostalgia"

How about this shit.. ?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ociable-soccer

So people, please try to be more objective next time.