Dizzy Returns

Hi guys i just noticed this on book for all them Dizzy fans

I wish them luck

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.../dizzy-returns

john
Old 29 November 2012, 01:23   #2
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

Once I saw the £350,000 goal I knew this was dead from the start.

I'd wager a bet many people don't even bother donating at all just because of the unrealistic goal they've set, regardless of whether or not they get their money back.

Cinemaware tried the same thing with Wings but they set a $350,000 goal which works out to be less but still unrealistic.
Old 01 December 2012, 00:38   #3
roboamiga

I have the new android dizzy game and tbh, despite the superior graphics, its very buggy and i prefer the original games any day
Old 01 December 2012, 09:45   #4
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Totally agree that £350k is unrealistic. What were the Oliver twins thinking when they came up with that figure? Its only at £20,393 with 20 days to go. Never gonna happen. There just isn't enough interest in Dizzy anymore to justify that amount. This however is of much more interest to me. Can't wait for this one...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ous?ref=search
Old 01 December 2012, 20:27   #5
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Certainly Elite Dangerous is going to make it. They have half the money they need already and there is still another month to go. I chipped in £20 for that. As for Dizzy, well I saw the kickstarter and played the video, but something tells me they are way too 'niche market' to get the job done. This is a shame as I really liked the Dizzy games - and completed them all on C64 and Amiga (well, Spellbound crashed when I picked up the snorkel, but apart from that...). I think they should have asked for 120k just to test the water; and then they would have probably got that amount and walked away with it. As it stands, kickstarters I think only get the money if they get 100% target (I may be wrong).

It always seems a bit cheeky for softies to ask for money before they have even started the game, and then when it gets released they gain a whole lot more. Double Dip! It's like what Brando said/thought during Superman /Superman 2, i.e. "You must pay me a shed load before I'll say a single word, you must pay me for two movies even though the role is small and wouldn't fill one movie by itself, and even though its all being shot at the same time. Then, when the movie is about to come out you must pay me x4 times over the odds again! before I will allow it to be released!, plus I want a huge cut of gross profits as well." No wonder thay sacked Brando and reshot Supes 2 on the cheap. Nothing like getting paid twice for the same job!

TBH if I had 350k (or even 200k) I'd have enough money to retire on for life! I've started up my own funding page on another site for a project I am doing next year, but im only asking for £400. That goal seems a lot more realistic.

Last edited by lifeschool; 01 December 2012 at 20:45.
Old 02 December 2012, 10:48   #6
lesta_smsc

Tis a shame... Would've like to see another Dizzy game, but agree, the 'asking price' is far too much
Old 02 December 2012, 16:30   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It's not a lot of money for a game development in real terms. I doubt it would even cover the salaries of 12 engineers for six months. Let alone office rent, rates, electricity, equipment depreciation, software tools licensing etc.

But I agree they should have gone for 50% less and tried to get the rest of the funding from a commercial advertising sponsor such as with 7Up and Cool Spot.
Old 02 December 2012, 20:14   #8
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
But I agree they should have gone for 50% less and tried to get the rest of the funding from a commercial advertising sponsor such as with 7Up and Cool Spot.
Or even Cadburys (cream egg).