English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 20 March 2016, 21:56   #501
turrican9

I am not sure but my first memory was looking at a Demo of Turrican 2 on a friends Amiga 500. This must have been sometime in 1991. I just knew I had to have the Amiga 500. I was so impressed. Not entirely sure if this was my first look at Amiga 500, but this is what I remember. Later that year I finally could afford my own Amiga 500. After selling my C64 with monitor, floppy drive and alot of games and then saving some money.
Old 22 March 2016, 10:48   #502
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkInstall View Post
Shadow Of The Beast.

I am 36 now, and this was in 1989, so I would have been 10 years old.

Blew my mind. It was in a small, grubby computer shop in Watford, UK, which I went to with my Dad. He had a C64, but wanted to upgrade, and was toying between the Amiga and the ST. Glad he made the right choice!

The parallax scrolling on Shadow Of The Beast did something very weird to my young mind. It was like I was witnessing real actual magic in front of my eyes. Impossible to put into words what it felt like, but I liken it to the first time seeing Michael Jackson moonwalking. Was other-worldly.

Then the shop assistant loaded up Xenon 2...
LOL those 2 were my 13th Birthday presents Happy Days!!

(I've 3 years on you)
Old 22 March 2016, 17:52   #503
_psy

from what i remember the first game i witness was Three Stooges, after that i saw dracula and later north & south and robocop 2 all these to other people amigas, i had a c64 at the time
Old 22 March 2016, 23:59   #504
HelloBeautiful

Goldrunner or Faery Tale Adventure I think.
Old 23 March 2016, 03:21   #505
source
Zone Friend

The first Amiga I saw was an amiga 1000. only powered up and showing the disk and hand boot screen. I remember saying what good is the computer that does not power up to a cursor like to commodore 64. The first game I played was the great giana sisters. I had a copy of it even before I had an amiga myself. I actually had 10 games before I finally got my A2000.
Old 23 March 2016, 07:29   #506
invent
pixels

Barbarian (Psygnosis), I belief it was the first game I bought.
Brother bought Faery Tale Adventure.

Demos (RoboCity) and various slide show images.
Old 23 March 2016, 09:49   #507
Mark36

First game was Speedball at a school friends house. I had an Atari ST at the time and although graphically almost the same for speedball the sound was much better on the amiga. I then saw some PD demos running at a local computer shop in Swindon it was Northstar Megademo 3 and I was sold. I convinced my parents to exchange the Atari ST for Amiga 500 at Dixons and Im not sure how thy pulled that off. I only had the Atari ST for 3 months....hard to swap anything at retailers these days.
Old 23 March 2016, 21:33   #508
mazxim

I'm quite sure it must be 'Shadow of the beast', followed by 'Robocop'.. than 'Tennis Pro Tour' or perhaps.. 'Dynablaster'? :-) it seems like another life now..
Old 24 March 2016, 12:44   #509
mnemo
MTN/SPT

"Defender of the Crown" on a friend's A1000 and the "TechTech" demo by Sodan & Magician 42.
Old 24 March 2016, 13:25   #510
OldB0y

Either Marble Madness, or Defender of the crown. Can't remember which, but they were the 2 games my Dad bought home with the A1000. This was the first time I'd ever heard of the Amiga, let alone seen one.
Old 24 March 2016, 13:37   #511
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

The year ... 1987/88

1 Day in School, a buddy said to me, " i have to show you something " ...

So i went with him to his parents house.
And there it was. A Amiga 500. O M G (and we had a so called "STATE OF THE ART" PC10 at home ... what a piece of Sh.t)

1 Game = SILKWORM ( played Co-OP )
2 Game = Giana Sisters ( 2 Players Again )
3 Game = Winter Games ( multiplayer fun AGAIN ) ... what a Day, i will never forgett it....

I never had seen anything like that. I/We sold our freaking PC10 and i was in Gamers Heaven

It was funny, because 4 years later in School we had PC´s ( Still, Green and Black ) and i said to myself... Is this a Joke ? , WHERE ARE THE COLORS , WHERE IS THE SOUND, WHERE IS THE MOUSE ? WHERE IS THE SELFBOOTING MULTITASKING OS ? WHERE IS DELUXE PAINT ? WHAT THE .... is this Crap ???

Last edited by Nibbler; 24 March 2016 at 13:43. Reason: more smileys n stuff :)
Old 24 March 2016, 14:26   #512
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Funny fact - Silkworm, Giana Sisters and even Winter Games were almost as good on C64, so your first Amiga meeting was NOT so shocking as it could be
Old 24 March 2016, 17:48   #513
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Ok my memory is a bit confused; it seems to me to remember that the first Amiga game i ever seen live (at a computer store where a friend of mine was working) was Xenon, but i remember i also seen Phalanx the same day - was end of 1987
Old 24 March 2016, 21:31   #514
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Funny fact - Silkworm, Giana Sisters and even Winter Games were almost as good on C64, so your first Amiga meeting was NOT so shocking as it could be
It was when you had a state of the art PC 10 at home ( that thing SUCKED )

I saw a few C64 games at my Neighbor, but that Casette thing took forever ... Dont get me wrong, The C64 was/is awesome, but back then, NOTHING was as stunning as an AMIGA

And a game like Silkworm was the Arcade experience at home. Just awesome.

So Silkworm was the first Amiga game that i have seen and also played ( what a day this was ... i will never forgett )
Old 24 March 2016, 21:39   #515
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
But imagine it was SoTB instead of Giana.... you would die. I almost did, as in my case it was Gods followed by Turrican II
Old 16 April 2016, 17:09   #516
necronom

The first 'thing' I saw was the Boing demo.

I think the first game I saw was The Pawn, as we were all saying that the loading screen looked as good as the box art (it was a HAM digitised pic of the box).

The first game I played was Defender of the Crown.

Those three were all at a computer club (System 2000 Computer Club - Redcar and Saltburn area), and we were all amazed by what we were seeing.

One of the first demos, was the TechTech demo on a friend's A1000. It's still the most memorable demo I have on the Amiga.
Old 16 April 2016, 22:54   #517
Magic

Shadow of the Beast Demo disk running at a local Commodore dealer. I was amazed at the time!
Old 16 April 2016, 23:35   #518
nobody

Rainbow Islands. That was the first game i loaded on A500. Very impressive at the time, arcade quality game at home. Then i loaded Shadow of the beast 2 (that with the t-shirt inside) and i was shocked by the high definition of the screen on the 1084S and the colors compared to the Amstrad CPC i had before, plus the incredible sound.

After the first shock i was impressed again and for the last time loading Thalion's Lionheart, i was blown away again seeing that incredible graphics and that biblical epic sound. It was way ahead of every arcade i had ever seen at that time (around 1993).
The PCs at the time had only those adventures with 256 color static screens, a poor guy's OS - the command line MS DOS, and no sound, only that beep from speaker.
Amiga was running circles around them, unbelievable they survived
Old 17 April 2016, 00:58   #519
Devlin
Bane of Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Shadow of the Beast Demo disk running at a local Commodore dealer. I was amazed at the time!
same, but at a local market when I was very very little.

First actual game I played on an amiga was probably Fun School 3

that or one of the first demos of Donk(aka Dong back then )
Old 23 April 2016, 14:58   #520
TurboCrash

IIRC it was Silent Service. Not the best show case of Amiga's abilities but still impressive for the time.
We had more fun playing Turbo head to head and later on Italia 90.