English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 May 2021, 17:01   #1
numanuk1984

Put floppy connector 1 pin to left out of place, mouse issue.

Since I put the floppy connector 1 pin to the left out of place on my floppy drive my mouse has been moving erratically.

I had it opened to install an rgb2hdmi board (which is working fab). Is there anyway to fix this. I've just shelled out £50 on a new rev 6a board without any of the removable chips. What have I done, any way to fix?
Old 15 May 2021, 17:09   #2
Rissy

You need a pin-out for the 34-pin connector i'd guess. Then you can transpose the pins versus the sockets you applied to each. It might be that you've applied power where you dont want power and it's resulted in damage.

I'd start by googling for the pin-out and that might lead you into a better idea of the result of what you've done is.
Old 15 May 2021, 17:22   #3
numanuk1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rissy View Post
You need a pin-out for the 34-pin connector i'd guess. Then you can transpose the pins versus the sockets you applied to each. It might be that you've applied power where you dont want power and it's resulted in damage.

I'd start by googling for the pin-out and that might lead you into a better idea of the result of what you've done is.

I'll probably just wait for the new board.
Old 15 May 2021, 18:05   #4
solarmon

What was the exact offset connection you did?

Use Amiga Test Kit to run some checks and tests to see what issue is.

Swapping out the motherboard may not fix anything if the issue is with a custom chips
Old 15 May 2021, 19:02   #5
numanuk1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
What was the exact offset connection you did?

Use Amiga Test Kit to run some checks and tests to see what issue is.

Swapping out the motherboard may not fix anything if the issue is with a custom chips

I know, I might end up replacing Denise / U4, but i've probably killed U15 (I only say this because U15 multiplexes mouse movement for Denise, it seems like its getting garbled data from U15) on my old board, on further research. I thought I may as well buy another as this one is fully re-capped.
Old 16 May 2021, 03:11   #6
whaka

hello,

there's no real reason for something to die with just a badly plugged floppy cable.
you can litteraly reverse it with no side effect. except your drive doesn't work, of course

and when reversed, you reverse all ground/signals. but it's TTL, it only put signals in bad states but don't hurt anything.

i don't think it's related at all, but a coincidence.
Old 16 May 2021, 03:20   #7
numanuk1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by whaka View Post
hello,

there's no real reason for something to die with just a badly plugged floppy cable.
you can litteraly reverse it with no side effect. except your drive doesn't work, of course

and when reversed, you reverse all ground/signals. but it's TTL, it only put signals in bad states but don't hurt anything.

i don't think it's related at all, but a coincidence.

Maybe, I might have a look at the solder joints and rewet them under U15 and U4 and see if I havn't made a dry joint installing the rgb2hdmi on the denise socket. The video output looks fantastic on hdmi, but I did notice that theres bars going up the screen on when connected via the monochrome composite output. It was ok before I installed it, and it persists with the rgb2hdmi board uninstalled too. I've ordered a new old stock ocs denise on ebay too.

Also I forgot to mention, that both of the mouse and joystick ports are playing up in much the same way, I'm not sure if this is significant in terms of troubleshooting. They were both fine before I installed the board, and are still playing up with the rgb2hdmi board removed.

Last edited by numanuk1984; 16 May 2021 at 03:25.
Old 16 May 2021, 09:07   #8
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by numanuk1984 View Post
Since I put the floppy connector 1 pin to the left...
What does 'to the left' mean?
Old 16 May 2021, 10:40   #9
numanuk1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
What does 'to the left' mean?

Didn't put the floppy connector over all of the pins by accident. 1 pin offset to the left.
Old 16 May 2021, 14:39   #10
nogginthenog
Amigan

There is software to you to use the joystick port for the mouse (doesn't work in games obs). Might be worth trying to check it's not the mouse.

http://aminet.net/package/dev/c/SetMousePort
Old 16 May 2021, 15:38   #11
r.cade

This should not really have hurt anything. As mentioned above, there is no power on this connector that you could pull any sort of current over. It's just signals and they would be mixed up... Anything is possible, though.

All the lines go to CIA and Paula...
Old 16 May 2021, 20:46   #12
numanuk1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
There is software to you to use the joystick port for the mouse (doesn't work in games obs). Might be worth trying to check it's not the mouse.

http://aminet.net/package/dev/c/SetMousePort

Both ports are playing up. The mouse and my game controller are acting very funny. The mouse cursor is moving in ways that are simply not possible. I'm thinking I've damaged U15 or a component on its path. I've a new motherboard coming and a new Denise. I'm thinking this is the best solution for now. I'll have a look at replacing U15 and the Exxx and Cxxx components at some point in the future to see if that sorts it.
Old 16 May 2021, 21:33   #13
shaf

its more likely that the one of the CIA's is bad since you haven't identified the Board you are using i cant give better details.
Old 16 May 2021, 22:34   #14
TjLaZer

How do you insert the connector 1 pin off on the Floppy Drive port? Unofficial hacked connector?
Old 16 May 2021, 23:52   #15
numanuk1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
How do you insert the connector 1 pin off on the Floppy Drive port? Unofficial hacked connector?

The pins aren't surrounded by a shell on my drive, so connector location can be offset.
Old 16 May 2021, 23:56   #16
numanuk1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaf View Post
its more likely that the one of the CIA's is bad since you haven't identified the Board you are using i cant give better details.

Sorry, its an a500 rev. 6a
Old 17 May 2021, 00:02   #17
numanuk1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaf View Post
It's a rev. 6a

I've looked at the schematics and it looks like mouse axis input is sent through some Exxx's some Cxxx's - > U15 - > DENISE. So I'm assuming the problem lies within that pathway. I think CIAs handle left mouse button, Paula handles right mouse button. I've ordered a U15 chip, forgot the part number, I'll swap it out when it arrives to satisfymy curiosity and if that doesn't fix it, I'll probably give up, and focus on the replacement board I've ordered.
Old 19 May 2021, 13:19   #18
numanuk1984

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. Motherboard was fine after all. Replaced Denise with a replacement from ebay, and it's all working properly again.