English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 30 April 2020, 02:00   #1
aeberbach

Making my new joystick

This is a 3D printed stick with the case based on a popular stick you might know. The stick mechanism is a Sanwa JLF-TPRG-8BYT-SK and the buttons are CROWN SDB-202M, which use Cherry MX switches internally. The cable is donated form a Wico that is showing its age. It's a spare no expense Amiga stick!

Old 02 May 2020, 04:19   #2
lesta_smsc

Awesome! I actually have several original joysticks of this type!
Old 07 May 2020, 12:40   #3
Fastdruid

That's really nice. How decent is the strength on the 3D printed part?
Old 11 May 2020, 04:51   #4
aeberbach

It's rock solid - feels like injection moulded ABS when printed with 100% infill. It was several hours even with an 0.6mm nozzle but I figured it would need to be strong and just let it run overnight.
Old 11 May 2020, 11:36   #5
Fastdruid

Very nice.

Did you use PLA or ABS?

I haven't got an enclosure for my printer (and it's in my home office next to me) so ABS is out for now but it's on the cards. Particularly as you can use vapour smoothing and essentially remove the layer lines.
Old 11 May 2020, 21:10   #6
nogginthenog
Amigan

Looks like PLA. Nice print. What printer do you have aeberbach?

I moved my 3D printer to my home office. Might as well as I'm spending half my day there.
Old 11 May 2020, 22:12   #7
aeberbach

I'm mostly using PETG filament from Prusa. The printer is a Prusa MK3s with the Bondtech Extruder and Slice Engineering Mosquito hotend, in an enclosure made of two IKEA Lack tables. I have vague plans to exhaust the printer to outside the office if I go to ABS one day but it's not done yet. I am very happy with this printer.

I have some PLA but I hate the way it doesn't stick down as well. PETG on the Prusa textured plate is just about perfect. It sticks hard during printing but as it cools you can hear it detaching itself to the point where a big print done overnight just lifts right off a cool plate in the morning!
Old 28 March 2021, 15:10   #8
Flimbo

That's a beautiful joystick, Aeberbach. I wanted to build my own joystick too but I cant source a suitable, small case. Might have to invest in a 3d printer unless anybody knows of any venders. How would you rate the Sanwa joystick for using on the Amiga? Read some comments on this board saying the dead zone is too big etc etc.
Old 28 March 2021, 23:55   #9
aeberbach

I don't feel like the throw is too long, but if I do I'll pop that split ring off the bottom of the stick, remove the actuator cylinder and print a slightly larger diameter cylinder. It's definitely a quality stick and I think everything can be tuned.
Old 29 March 2021, 01:07   #10
Flimbo

I would appreciate it if you update us on any changes you make. It is certainly a thing of beauty.
Old 29 March 2021, 15:22   #11
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Looks damn fine. The only thing I could suggest is some sanding to get rid of the print lines. They always bug me. Great colour choice though.
Old 29 March 2021, 22:44   #12
ubermick

I like it! I might put my own Mk3+ to work on one of these myself - I managed to find Amiga colour-matched PLA here, and am itching for a project to use it on. And chances are I could order the parts and have it all done before my Retro Radionics @#$@# gets here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
Looks damn fine. The only thing I could suggest is some sanding to get rid of the print lines. They always bug me. Great colour choice though.
Yep. The new ironing feature in Prusa Slicer is nice tho, takes care of that.
Old 18 February 2022, 05:26   #13
willbloke

Just trying to catch up on this place , pretty sure I had the micro version .
Anybody remember what the micro version was called , it had really light/quick/positive action .
I think I tossed it years ago before I had the knowledge/confidence to fix it