English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 June 2015, 02:51   #1
JumpingJackson

Is Worms DC really the best version of Worms 1?

I owned Worms 1 and Reinforcements on the PC. I read about DC in a magazine and was so jealous the Amiga version got the concrete donkey, holy hand grenade etc.

Then came Worms 2, which pretty much added all those extras. Except, I really hated the new graphic style! I wanted DC on the PC but couldn't get it. When I first got into emulation with WinUAE, I got hold of Worms DC straight away and was so happy. By that time most of my friends weren't into gaming anymore so I didn't really spend much time with DC.

Fast forward to today. I start getting back into Amiga emulation. I fire up Worms DC and disappointed to find some features are missing from PC versions.

There is retreat time, tab select, dud mines, mine delay, background music, FMV sequences, various gravestones, fall damage, Mole Bomb (that was awesome!!). All missing from the Amiga version!

Over the years I was led to believe DC is the best version of Worms 1. Is it really? What is your opinion?
Old 20 June 2015, 17:37   #2
gazj82

I don't know much about Worms DC, but it could be one of those games where elements are cut if you don't have the available RAM. I am sure someone will soon tell us.
Old 20 June 2015, 20:26   #3
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Which PC versions are you comparing it to? Worms DC was by far the best version of Worms on any platform for a long long time. Obviously the later versions of Worms on the PC would add newer features - that's inevitable. I still think Worms DC is one of the best versions of Worms there's been.
Old 20 June 2015, 22:29   #4
JumpingJackson

I'm just comparing the 1st generation Worms games. The ones with the 16bit pixelly graphics.
Old 21 June 2015, 10:30   #5
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

A lot of PC games that also had Amiga releases had additional features due to the extra processing power, more RAM as standard and extra storage (HD) as standard. Games like TFX, Theme Park, Syndicate and Worms had improved resolution, extra features and FMV sequences. Although I think I remember the PC struggled with the different levels of parallax that the Amiga could do in the background. I think this feature was dropped from the PC version.
Old 22 June 2015, 09:37   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Although I think I remember the PC struggled with the different levels of parallax that the Amiga could do in the background. I think this feature was dropped from the PC version.
[ Show youtube player ]

It has some parallax levels, but perhaps less than the Amiga version.
Old 22 June 2015, 10:12   #7
beezle
Banned

For "vanilla" Worms1 I like the PC version best I think. Graphically it's nicer than Amiga versions (including DC), and on a rare occasion the faster cpu is noticed. They both play so similarly though that it's pretty much splitting hairs.

Worms DC however is my favourite Worms game. Not drastically different than Worms1 really, but the fine tuning and extras just give it that extra "something" in my opinion.
Old 22 June 2015, 10:42   #8
jack-3d
kLiker

Yes, Worms and then Worms DC was one of the games that helped me to decide buy Amiga 1200 back in 97.

I loved also the editor of own levels which I draw in DPaint. I sampled own sounds and shouts and its was so funny... Yes Worms DC rulez even these days when I play it with my 5 years old daughter.
Old 22 June 2015, 10:49   #9
Daedalus

Still my favourite version of Worms on any platform! The extras in the newer versions are nice and all, but I still come back to DC, occasionally playing it with a few friends and beers. The extra colours, effects and weapons made it pretty special over the original, it's quite sad that it didn't sell far more than it did since the Amiga was already pretty much dead at that stage - it deserved to sell huge numbers!
Old 22 June 2015, 13:08   #10
Total Eclipse

Pretty sure that Worms on the PC dropped the feature where the grappling hook would interact with the scenery. On the PC the rope was always in a straight line, but I know on at least some Amiga versions the rope would follow the line of the terrain and so affect how you swing.
Old 27 June 2015, 16:59   #11
SWIV

I have never really had a problem with any version I guess, The Jaguar version is pretty reasonable too.
Old 27 June 2015, 19:14   #12
JumpingJackson

I had a couple of games of DC yesterday. One difference I've noticed is the Air Strike is a lot more powerful, sending worms flying in the air. I quite like that, always felt it was a bit underwhelming on the PC version.

Does anyone know how to change direction of air strike?
Old 27 June 2015, 19:56   #13
darkwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonBible View Post
I had a couple of games of DC yesterday. One difference I've noticed is the Air Strike is a lot more powerful, sending worms flying in the air. I quite like that, always felt it was a bit underwhelming on the PC version.

From memory, I seem to recall a right click with the mouse changing the direction of the air strike. However my memory has become prone to errors lately due to the age of the brain installed.
Old 28 June 2015, 10:54   #14
JumpingJackson

Right click open the weapon menu again. I tried the arrow keys too but didnt have an effect.
Old 28 June 2015, 11:41   #15
john1979

Worms on the Playstation 1 is also very good. Probably my favourite version due to not needing a mouse to play.
Old 28 June 2015, 12:44   #16
daxb

Quote:
Right click open the weapon menu again. I tried the arrow keys too but didnt have an effect.
As far as I can remember yoy need to move the mouse into playfield where the direction of attack is shown. Right mouse click schould switch direction.

All weapon damage values can be changed somewhere in the options screen. Maybe you have enable this feature first.
Old 29 June 2015, 12:33   #17
gazj82

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
Worms on the Playstation 1 is also very good. Probably my favourite version due to not needing a mouse to play.
The PS1 version is very good. I was working from home with some younger colleagues not so long ago. They bought a PS3 and had it set up in the hotel room. The following week I bought Worms to play, for the next month working away those PS3 games barely got played at all.
Old 30 June 2015, 11:36   #18
Gordon
Settler

Yes it is. It had the holy hand grenade. Hallaluyah!
Old 30 June 2015, 13:25   #19
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:

Depends on the wind I think.
Old 30 June 2015, 23:41   #20
TheBilgeRat

On the miggy I believe its "z". Check Lemon Amiga.

My favorite worms version of all time is Worms World Party.