English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 11 February 2020, 22:12   #21
bacteriu

Do you know if there is any possibility to compile FS-UAE 3.X with jit enabled?
Old 11 February 2020, 22:41   #22
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacteriu View Post
Do you know if there is any possibility to compile FS-UAE 3.X with jit enabled?

The JIT compiler in FS-UAE does not fully support ARM, so no for Raspberry Pi :-/
Old 13 February 2020, 23:48   #23
Welshieinnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
The JIT compiler in FS-UAE does not fully support ARM, so no for Raspberry Pi :-/
We would be eternally grateful if you could somehow find it in your time to update it to be compatible with Pi4
Old 11 May 2020, 11:31   #24
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

With Apple Macs due to switch to ARM processors in the next couple of years (and considerably higher power than the Pi) is it likely that JIT ARM compatibility of FS-UAE will become baked in when that happens?

I am a big fan of Amiberry for how well it performs on the Pi, but also a big fan of FS-UAE for its functionality, and in particular the netplay support. I would hate to lose FS it if i made the switch when the new Macs come out; otherwise I suspect i will be using a 'legacy' MacBook purely for this function!
Old 28 May 2020, 16:06   #25
Northgrove

I prefer FS-UAE over other ARM emulators due to the cycle-exact mode among other things and the good RPi 4 performance is interesting!

Has anyone tested FS-UAE with cycle-exact mode enabled and can report back? A500? A1200? With VSync?

I'm wondering which ballpark the RPi 4 is in exactly...

I found this blog post. There's this comment there:

Quote:
From Wikipedia I estimated BCM2837B0 (3 B+) at 1000 CPUmark. Raspberry Pi claim BCM2711 is 50% faster [sic: -> swifter], despite the integer benchmarks on this post, so that should be 1500 CPUmark, still 3/8 of the 5W and 4·5W CPU ultrabook speeds that folk said were too slow (not sure for what), on the i5–8200Y and i5–7Y57. 1500 is better than 3W SH-X4 RP-X, worse than Cortex-A53-A57 Typhoon A8, worse than 4W Atom Broxton T5700, worse than 7·5W Pentium Bay Trail-M N3540, and almost equivalent to 25W Core 2 Duo Penryn P8700.

I still need the CPU’s TDP tho; the last one was 3·5W. If it uses the same power it’s about as efficient as the 28W Kaby Lake R i7–8559U but half as efficient as 4·5W Kaby Lake m3–7Y30 and the two ultrabook CPUs and 1/3 to 1/4 as the top mobile CPUs.
I went to CPUBenchmark.net to check and that CPU scores 968 points. Comments on the FS-UAE performance page tell that ~900 points may be juuust enough to run the A1200 in cycle-exact mode with VSync although some more leeway is recommended. Ooof... A bit too close for comfort, but hey... Performance is reaching "interesting" levels!

So, I wonder if it can be concluded that the RPi 4 can manage this all the way for gaming and demos although just barely? Hmm, makes me wonder about heat and case recommendations since this board can get quite hot. I suspect one with both heatsink and fan would be recommended?

I suppose Amiberry will be faster (?) but on the other hand have a reduced feature set.

Last edited by Northgrove; 28 May 2020 at 20:44.
Old 14 June 2020, 21:15   #26
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
I suppose Amiberry will be faster (?) but on the other hand have a reduced feature set.

I'd genuinely like to know what features you feel Amiberry misses, that FS-UAE has.

I can think of;
- Cycle Exact
- Netplay
- Database/Artwork
- Serial/MIDI emulation (although this isnt covered on all builds of FS either)

Currently, the Netplay is the one i've been missing, and so I've been trying FS-UAE today on a Pi4 via the Desktop, installed over RetroPie.

The performance is... *just* about there. After pushing up the governor setting to 'performance' and enabling the OpenGL drivers i was jsut about able to play Midnight Resistance, although it started to slow down in the 'shop'. If i dropped emulation accuracy to 'Medium' it was considerably improved.

I was hoping we might be getting closer to AmigaLive / NetPlay working on the Pi... but without some optimisations, its maybe a little way off.

The other question is ... how do i get it to compile fs-uae 3.0.5 ? The Launcher is throwing up a message about finding the wrong verion (3.0.4) having followed the above guidance
Quote:
git clone -b fs-uae-3.0 https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fs-uae.git --single-branch

Similar to others, if i switch to compiling the master branch, it doesnt compile, so any help getting a build of 3.0.5 would be gratefully received.
Old 15 June 2020, 13:07   #27
Solskogen

amiberry supports JIT, which FS-UAE doesn't (yet), so if you use JIT amiberry will be faster.
Old 06 March 2021, 16:33   #28
ugrnm

Thanks to some of the tips in this thread, I was able to run fs-uae on a RPi3+

I've been using Debian for arm64 (as opposed to raspbian or whatever it's called now) which gave stable open source VC4 out of the box and ARMv8 support. I needed the new MIDI implementation of fs-uae as well. All together it boiled down to:

Code:
sudo apt install automake libtool gettext zip libglib2.0-dev libmpeg2-4-dev libopenal-dev libsdl2-dev libsdl2-ttf-dev libportmidi-dev libpng-dev
git clone https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fs-uae.git
cd fs-uae
git checkout fs-uae-3.0
git cherry-pick 57fc25e0b050572c55bae148a0f833f5281f25b6
git cherry-pick 4d928c2e648d5714ef0df4bf535da8ba6a7bdd1a
git add src/pcem/pcemglue.cpp
git cherry-pick --continue
git cherry-pick 94d790f65feb9da599a5381e5b652d209b6fd4cb
./bootstrap
CXXFLAGS="-march=armv8-a+crc -mtune=cortex-a53 -ftree-vectorize -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" ./configure --disable-jit
make -j2
more details: https://moddingfridays.bleu255.com/A600_on_Raspberry_Pi
Old 06 March 2021, 18:51   #29
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Cool I think you also should get a noticeable performance boost by using 16-bit color (R5G6B5). At least, that was the case when I was testing "FS-UAE 4" on Raspberry Pi 4.
Old 06 March 2021, 20:29   #30
ugrnm

Thanks, I did not know this option (you mean the "uae_rtg_modes = 0x602" that you mentioned in another thread here?). I will try!

BTW, thanks for this emu. FS-UAE is great to become familiar with the Amiga and emulate different equipment configs before committing to purchasing the same/equivalent hardware/mods (which I eventually did). Also super handy to prepare/config a full AmigaOS install on a SD from FS-UAE and then transfer to the machine. Super cool
Old 06 March 2021, 21:59   #31
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

No,
video_format = rgb565
(there is a GUI option for it in the Launcher settings somewhere as well).
Old 07 March 2021, 15:48   #32
ugrnm

Oh I see, of course :3
Will try!
Old 09 March 2021, 08:26   #33
maxfactor

Might someone help me to install latest 3.0.5 triplet (fsuae, launcher, arcade) on RPI4? I would install by sources to make it the more integrate as possible (if it does make sense). Thank you
Old 12 March 2021, 11:00   #34
maxfactor

I followed @tchulhu steps and all went good, some time ago.

Today I'm doing the same but when fs-uae starts (through the launcher) I can hear only sounds and game intro music but no gui window opens at all...

What can be the he'll guys?

POST EDIT

attaching noticed error

https://we.tl/t-iV6ht2T5wm

Last edited by maxfactor; 12 March 2021 at 11:25.
Old 13 March 2021, 10:59   #35
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

@maxfactor The errors you're seeing when compiling FS-UAE could be due to compiling with an SDL library without X11 support.

(Btw, if you're unable to compile fs-uae, how come you can start it and hear sounds/music but without any video?)

Also: For Raspberry Pi 4, I recommend using the master branch from git instead of compiling 3.0.5. The in-development 4.x version should work better on the RPi4.
Old 11 December 2021, 21:45   #36
aribeth23

I have been playing with FS-UAE on my RaspberryPI4 Rev1.1 board running bullseye 64bit lately and compiled 3.x from the stable branch using these CXXFLAGS:
Code:
export CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe  -march=armv8-a+crc+simd+crypto -mcpu=cortex-a72 -mfloat-abi=hard  -mfpu=crypto-neon-fp-armv8 -mneon-for-64bits -ftree-vectorize  -funsafe-math-optimizations"
I slightly overclocked my rpi rev 1.1 board:
/boot/config.txt:
Code:
gpu_mem=512
over_voltage=2
arm_freq=1700
gpu_freq=600
dtparam=random=on
[all]
dtoverlay=gpio-fan,gpiopin=14,temp=60000
Seems like this is a sweetspot for my configuration of my rpi4 in the armor casing using only passive cooling I never got over 75°C while running WHDLoad AGA demos and running this in the background for over an hour (performance mode):
Code:
stress --cpu 4 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout 1200s
Setting: over_voltage=4, arm_freq=1800, gpu_freq=650 was causing artifacts on-screen after a while during AGA demo runs.

UAE conf:
Code:
accuracy=1
deterministic=1
uaem_write_flags=0

amiga_model=A1200
cpu=68020
kickstart_file=kick3141_1mb.rom
chip_memory=2048
fast_memory=8192
jit_compiler=0

uae_cpu_cycle_exact = false
uae_blitter_cycle_exact = false
uae_cycle_exact = false
uae_cpu_compatible = true
uae_cpu_speed = real
I must say it runs quiet good looking forward to try FS-UAE 4.x does lowering the sound frequency offer more performance?

Warning: Do not overclock your raspberry if you dont have a cooling solution or be very careful and watch your temps!

Thank you Frode for this nice emulator and thanks to the others for pointing out CFLAGS
Old 12 December 2021, 00:28   #37
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

When I compile FS-UAE 4 for Raspberry Pi 4 I only (at the moment) use

Code:
export CFLAGS="-g -O3 -march=armv8-a"
export CXXFLAGS="-g -O3 -march=armv8-a"
I did *some* performance testing with other flags such as -mcpu=cortex-a72 and floating point options, but didn't see any significant difference. So I went with "generic ARM8" options for now, for builds intended for the RPi4. But my testing was mainly with A500 emulation. Floating point options can very well have a significant effect on FPU emulation (don't know, haven't tested)! But there was a noticeable difference going from -O2 to -O3.

I strongly recommend using options to enable 16-bits video and texture formats btw. This speeds up rendering and overall performance quite a bit.

Lowering audio frequency probably helps in theory, but I don't think there will be significant savings there. You could test though.
Old 26 January 2022, 13:29   #38
cyberhead97

Hi Frode,

I managed to get FS-UAE compiled (from latest master branch commit) and running on my Raspberry Pi 400. So far it works great, but I have leds in left and right side of the screen and wonder if it's possible to turn them off? The VSYNC led is blinking like crazy which seems to have a flicker effect on the mouse cursor in interlaced mode 640x512. Is it also possible to turn off VSYNC led and video sync in general. I have already tried options "video_sync = off", "video_sync = 0", "vsync = 0" without any effect.