English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 12 September 2014, 20:47   #21
amigafreak68k

Just a question Toni:

For UAE RTG on AmigaOS 4 its "only" needed a native PPC driver for Picasso96 (AOS4 version) or is there even more work needed?
Old 12 September 2014, 21:22   #22
Sandro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Freeze as in doing nothing or using one (or more) CPU cores 100%?

seems it freezes using cores at 100%
also winuae crashes if I do a key reset (ctrl amiga amiga)

on the other way I solved the powerup problem, I run ppcinstall from cli and after that I can run powerup programs

btw Toni can you check this game :

http://aminet.net/game/shoot/VAxen.lha

using idem workbench installation:

on b12 the game run perfect
on b15 when I run vaxen.elf says "Bus clock is 32 mhz" then freezes ???
Old 13 September 2014, 19:35   #23
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigafreak68k View Post
Just a question Toni:

For UAE RTG on AmigaOS 4 its "only" needed a native PPC driver for Picasso96 (AOS4 version) or is there even more work needed?
I don't know. (Remember: I don't do PPC programs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
on b12 the game run perfect
on b15 when I run vaxen.elf says "Bus clock is 32 mhz" then freezes ???
Sorry but I don't debug PPC programs. Either they work or they don't work.
Old 13 September 2014, 22:15   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Just a note for better performance: I recommend to use CyberStorm SCSI instead of mainboard IDE (SCSI works since QEMU PPC was added). Select "Accelerator board SCSI".

SCSI is fully DMA, software basically only needs to say "transfer this much data from block x to block y, transfer all data to/from address z", everything else is done by UAE host side code.

IDE is PIO = emulated code needs to do everything "manually", (reading or writing requires word by word CPU reads or writes) and running emulated code is always slower than native code, especially JITs rarely work very fast when they need to continuously access IO addresses.
Old 14 September 2014, 08:57   #25
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I did another OS4.1 installation test with latest beta and SCSI: install took only 3 minutes! Previously it took about 1 hour..

I think performance is now as good as it can get.
Old 14 September 2014, 10:03   #26
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
I did another OS4.1 installation test with latest beta and SCSI: install took only 3 minutes! Previously it took about 1 hour..

I think performance is now as good as it can get.
Yes, it works finally well in my laptop, but I can't boot with scsi. Can you post your config with scsi?
Old 14 September 2014, 10:11   #27
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Yes, it works finally well in my laptop, but I can't boot with scsi. Can you post your config with scsi?
I don't post config files, "everyone" would then use it and no one would ever report non-working configs

But most important part is line like this: hardfile2=rw,DH0:.\hdf\os41.vhd,0,0,0,512,0,,scsi0_cpuboard

(only difference between ide and scsi should be scsi0_cpuboard vs ide0)
Old 14 September 2014, 11:47   #28
mulder77

Hm, same here. I manually modified the config file to "scsi0_cpuboard" and now OS 4.0 doesn't boot anymore. There is only the Kickstart screen.
Old 14 September 2014, 11:50   #29
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Perhaps OS4 needs to be installed using SCSI (cybppc.device). If installing to IDE boot kernel won't include any SCSI drivers?
Old 14 September 2014, 11:53   #30
mulder77

OK, I will give it a try.
Is it ok that my config is missing "Accelerator board SCSI ROM file"?

And is it the right way to manually modify the config, because I didn't find a way to do so in the GUI. I can only add CD images but no hard drives with this attribute.

Edit: Sorry, was too blind to find it in the GUI, forget my last question.

Last edited by prowler; 14 September 2014 at 22:44. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 14 September 2014, 11:59   #31
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
You can install via ide, but the os4 installer will ask if you want to keep cybppc.device or not. I did keep it enabled when I installed sometime ago and can switch between ide and accelerator scsi as I see fit and the boot speed is dramatically faster in the Qemu pcc than pearpc.
Old 14 September 2014, 12:43   #32
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Perhaps OS4 needs to be installed using SCSI (cybppc.device). If installing to IDE boot kernel won't include any SCSI drivers?
But there are several Scsi to choose and I don't know which work with cybppc or what is the difference between A4091 and A4091 #2, what is Oktagon.... Which can I try as example with an A4000?
Old 14 September 2014, 12:44   #33
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
But there are several Scsi to choose and I don't know which work with cybppc or what is the difference between A4091 and A4091 #2, what is Oktagon.... Which can I try as example with an A4000?
"Accelerator board SCSI": You want to use CyberStorm PPC onboard SCSI controller. (There is only one choice because it is impossible to have multiple accelerator boards connected at the same time)

EDIT: Someday useless options from SCSI list will be filtered out.
Old 14 September 2014, 13:15   #34
nikos.rizos

Quote:
Just a note for better performance: I recommend to use CyberStorm SCSI instead of mainboard IDE (SCSI works since QEMU PPC was added). Select "Accelerator board SCSI".

SCSI is fully DMA, software basically only needs to say "transfer this much data from block x to block y, transfer all data to/from address z", everything else is done by UAE host side code.

IDE is PIO = emulated code needs to do everything "manually", (reading or writing requires word by word CPU reads or writes) and running emulated code is always slower than native code, especially JITs rarely work very fast when they need to continuously access IO addresses.

Hey Toni.

A special ROM file is needed for this to work (like te blizzard SCSI, 4091 etc) or you just select it as an option and it works?
Old 14 September 2014, 13:19   #35
amigafreak68k

SCSI is always onboard of Cyberstorm MKIII/PPC boards, not optional like on Blizzard (and content of Cyberstorm ROM)
Old 14 September 2014, 13:48   #36
nikos.rizos

Cheers mate
Old 14 September 2014, 14:35   #37
Ami_GFX

This is much better than beta 15.

In OS3.1, 3.9 FXpaint still won't load. That didn't happen in the pre qemu betas.

I tried the no buffering and accelerator board scsi options with OS4.0 It still takes a long time to boot but is much more usable once it does. The OS4 68K emulation now works and all the programs that work on a real Amiga with cyberstorm PPC work in emulation. A bit slower than in a real Amimga on my system--1.8ghz dual Centrino Core Duo. And speaking of the real thing, I bought another A4000D last week and just moved my Cyberstorm, Cybervision 64 and CF drive onto it yesterday afternoon and now have a working setup to do one on one emulation vs. real Amiga comparisions. I also have a faster Core Duo laptop with a much better gpu to test on as well as recently purchased I5 laptop/tablet convertible to test the PPC emulation on. The I5 is rather slow as I5s go. The thing was designed for extremely long battery use and I'm not sure how much faster than my Core Duos it will be.

Log and configuration files attached from a quick test of FXpaint in OS 3.9. I quit Winuae just after trying to launch FXpaint.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (31.6 KB, 956 views)
File Type: uae A4KDOS39CGX_PPC_CGX.uae (17.7 KB, 981 views)
Old 14 September 2014, 16:37   #38
MickJT

Is it possible to boot OS4.1 using Blizzard PPC yet? I've tried and just get the disk animation (OS4 kernel). Will provide logs if it's been known to work.
Old 14 September 2014, 16:58   #39
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJT View Post
Is it possible to boot OS4.1 using Blizzard PPC yet? I've tried and just get the disk animation (OS4 kernel). Will provide logs if it's been known to work.
I only have 4.0 but it it does load ok with BlizzardPPC. Because I installed my image with cyberstorm, I don't seem to have access to Blizzppc.device so once the bootloader has done its thing, I get the os4 kickstart screen. IDE does however work and boots os4 to workbench. I am only getting AGA modes though as the zorroIII Picasso iv card is not being detected in this mode (bppc+os4). Any zorroII rtg crashes the emu after the pink screen.
Old 14 September 2014, 17:02   #40
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

BlizzardPPC: not supported.
- memory mapping is not correct enough (can't have >128M)
- use of Z2 or Z3 boards is impossible in real world. No one knows what should happen.