English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 13 March 2023, 00:20   #41
Pyromania

Mike Halvorson stories are always welcome. He was a colorful character.
Old 13 March 2023, 05:07   #42
Astrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Mike Halvorson stories are always welcome. He was a colorful character.
Yes he was
I called when they were still in Minnesota (I believe) complaining about how bad the manual for Imagine was, how disjointed and hard to follow. He quickly agreed sighing very loudly, 'yes you're right, we have REALLY let everybody down' and more to that effect. It was so off the wall that I started laughing, becoming quickly 'unarmed'. I finally got a chance to meet him and the crew at Comdex after they had moved to Las Vegas and he looked quite the total Hollywood star, all browned out in a brutal tan and wearing a white (naturally) suit to clash with the tan.

Now that I have your attention could you do me a big favor?

Ferocious posted some Imagine 5 Amiga stuff on his Google drive and I tried to install the Amiga 68k version, but it keeps asking for Disk 1 and Disk 2, so I'm not sure if I'm not understanding the install process, or there really should be Disk images in the package that perhaps Ferocious left out. Could you check it out? Shouldn't take to long to check out, it's a quick download.

Would be greatly appreciated as I'm currently stumbling around trying to get back up to speed on the ole Amiga.
Old 13 March 2023, 22:04   #43
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I am on holiday, but will check when I am back home.
Old 14 March 2023, 07:34   #44
Astrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
I am on holiday, but will check when I am back home.
Bless you my friend!
Old 15 March 2023, 11:11   #45
eXeler0

Im connected with Martin on LinkedIn but dont have Premium. Ill see if I can get some sort of response.
Old 17 March 2023, 15:14   #46
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrin View Post
Bless you my friend!

So had a quite check on the files I have with me on holiday. Yes, I am a saddo bringing my emulation files with me, he he. Anyway, I can V5.0 installed and V5.13 runs without installation. Both of these seem to be from the CUPS program and don't use disks. V5.0 uses Assigns which point to compressed files.

I got these files from Turrans FTP @
/Non TOSEC Applications/Archive/Imagine50.zip (1.7MB)

/Non TOSEC Applications/Archive/Imagine513_Update.zip (623KB)

I also managed to get V5.1 running which was also in those zip files.

Not sure if that helps. But going to explore further as I want to use V5

Last edited by fxgogo; 17 March 2023 at 17:54. Reason: Additional information
Old 18 March 2023, 01:31   #47
Astrin

Quote:
So had a quite check on the files I have with me on holiday. Yes, I am a saddo bringing my emulation files with me, he he. Anyway, I can V5.0 installed and V5.13 runs without installation. Both of these seem to be from the CUPS program and don't use disks. V5.0 uses Assigns which point to compressed files.

I got these files from Turrans FTP @
/Non TOSEC Applications/Archive/Imagine50.zip (1.7MB)

/Non TOSEC Applications/Archive/Imagine513_Update.zip (623KB)

I also managed to get V5.1 running which was also in those zip files.

Not sure if that helps. But going to explore further as I want to use V5
Thanks for getting back. You reference the TURRAN repo, which seems to have the same files that I got from the Google drive. But that means I am missing something. In the Imagine50 zip I get:

-ASSIGN_ME-
IM50_1 (LZH)
IM50_2 (LZH)
INSTALL
INSTALL.INFO
LHARC

In Amikit and PiMiga I tried double clicking the INSTALL but the system asks to put a floppy in the disk drive. I couldn't figure out what to do. I tried unzipping the IM50_1 and IM50_2 files but that didn't seem to help. Still asks for a disk. Can you step-by-step for me how you installed and got Imagine running?
Much appreciated. I really am rusty on Amiga.....
Old 18 March 2023, 03:34   #48
Etze
A3000-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrin View Post

-ASSIGN_ME-
IM50_1 (LZH)
IM50_2 (LZH)
INSTALL
INSTALL.INFO
LHARC

In Amikit and PiMiga I tried double clicking the INSTALL but the system asks to put a floppy in the disk drive. I couldn't figure out what to do. I tried unzipping the IM50_1 and IM50_2 files but that didn't seem to help. Still asks for a disk.

You need two assigns: "Disk1:" and "Disk2:". That's what the file "-ASSIGN_ME-" is for. Just open a shell, go to the Imagine-directory and start the script with "execute -assign_me-". After that the installer won't ask for these disks anymore and Imagine will be installed.
Old 18 March 2023, 22:47   #49
Astrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etze View Post
You need two assigns: "Disk1:" and "Disk2:". That's what the file "-ASSIGN_ME-" is for. Just open a shell, go to the Imagine-directory and start the script with "execute -assign_me-". After that the installer won't ask for these disks anymore and Imagine will be installed.
Thanks for responding!
Unfortunately, to my embarassment I, only vaguely understand what you wrote. I understand a bit about the ASSIGN file but 'just open a shell...etc' is kinda greek to me. Remember my time with the Amiga was in the 1980's so

I wasn't kidding when I said I needed a 'step by step' procedure.
The good news is all the files are there to install it, I just need to learn all the basics on the Amiga again.
Thanks again
Old 18 March 2023, 23:55   #50
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

It took me a little work to get it installed. I used the assign me file as a starting point. Basically, after a little work I wrote ‘Assign Disk1: DH2:Imagine5/Imagine_V5/‘ and ‘Assign Disk2: DH2:Imagine5/Imagine_V5/‘ into my User startup file found in S:

My location of the install files will need to be changed to where you have them. Make sure you reboot and then run the install again. Once installed, you can go delete the two lines from your user startup. Not elegant or fast, but it works.
Old 19 March 2023, 21:18   #51
Astrin

Quote:
It took me a little work to get it installed. I used the assign me file as a starting point. Basically, after a little work I wrote ‘Assign Disk1: DH2:Imagine5/Imagine_V5/‘ and ‘Assign Disk2: DH2:Imagine5/Imagine_V5/‘ into my User startup file found in S:

My location of the install files will need to be changed to where you have them. Make sure you reboot and then run the install again. Once installed, you can go delete the two lines from your user startup. Not elegant or fast, but it works.
Great! Now I have a few people helping me. Thank you!

What I need to do now is re-familiarize myself with the Amiga. 'Assign' and 'startup file' and 'S' will be things I need to understand, since I've spent the better part of the last 40 years playing in the PC world, with the occasional Amiga outing via Amiga Forever.

Even the most recent Amiga outings have been using Chris Edwards' PiMiga 3 running on a Raspberry Pi 400 (works great) and now a G4 mac mini running MorpOS 3.17 and Chrysalis (stunning and gorgeous). In fact, right at this instant I am getting ready to crack open the mac mini to 'pimp' it to a msata ssd and, eventually in a week or so, to a full 1 GB ram.

Fortunately I still have all the original Commodore Amiga books--500 manuals, BASIC manuals, even technical manuals like for Intuition.

And a lot of how this started was with the 'Holy Grail' quest on finding out just what happened to Imagine on the Amiga after CAD Technologies were the only developers on the '5 to 6' CUP program. The web site really sets off Norton but the few glimpses of what they were planning for Imagine was tantalizing.

Cheers everybody
Old 23 March 2023, 18:36   #52
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Im connected with Martin on LinkedIn but dont have Premium. Ill see if I can get some sort of response.
Just to follow this up, I didn't get a response but then again, seems his last activity on LinkedIn was 1 year ago..