English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL contributions

Old 31 July 2004, 20:31   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Max Rally Screens

Hi,

I've attached a load of screenies for Max Rally.

There are loads in the zip so take your pick.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MaxRally.zip (1,016.5 KB, 266 views)
Old 31 July 2004, 21:09   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Cool!

Out of curiosity...the game is from '98, so does it happen to be still sold?
Old 31 July 2004, 22:34   #3
kolorabi

Hmm, the website (http://www.allcomm.co.uk/~fortress/) says all distribution rights are with Crystal Software and Electronics, but their website just contains a text about the Amiga and a bunch of weird links.. (it's here: http://www.csande.co.uk/ ). So the answer is probably no, though I bet it can be found somewhere if you're desperate for a boxed copy. AFAICT, there's no contact information on either site except a snail mail address to CSandE (on the Max Rally site, not their own). :-/
Old 01 August 2004, 00:43   #4
RetroMan

Still being sold ....

here -> http://www.sintech-shop.de/amiga_cd3...ftware_m-n.htm
... and here -> http://www.mmd-shop.de/games.htm
........... and -> http://www.eternity-computer.de/frames_e.html

..... and maybe elsewhere
Old 01 August 2004, 01:19   #5
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Just download it. pfft to all this bying malarkey.
Old 01 August 2004, 02:12   #6
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Just download it. pfft to all this bying malarkey.
Words of a real dumbass
Old 01 August 2004, 02:13   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Oh well.

Don't then.
Old 01 August 2004, 03:43   #8
Amiga1992

After checking out the demo I say this is not worth buying at all... Unless you are one of those zealot amigans that buy any sort of shit that gets released.
Old 21 August 2004, 12:15   #9
StarEye
Zone Friend

It's a game from '98 that should have been released in '93 or '94. It was outdated already when it arrived, and we already had so many good top-down scrolling racers on the miggy, like Turbo Trax, Overdrive, ATR, Nito etc etc. There really was no need for Max Rally. But it's okay I guess. I'll buy it eventually, just to have it in my collection.

Currently playing Payback on my miggy. Very good game. Even though I have to use it on 320*240 (or something) to get some decent speed out of it. I wouldn't particularly recommend it if you want decent graphics too, on a high spec game like this.
Old 01 October 2004, 05:58   #10
J-K

Big grin Absolutely Astonished!

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but had to join after having a quick search on google for a game that's close to my heart. I was the sole artist that did all the graphics and design for Max Rally. In case any of you are interested I'll give you a little bit of background information about the game..

I'm 25 right now but at the age of 16 I wanted to be a graphic artist and make games more than anything. I was an amiga fanatic and spent lots of time playing games and using d-paint. Sooo, I asked my dad if he'd place a small advertisement in a local newspaper here in england for a programmer of a similar age with the intention of making games for fun. I had 1 reply . Anyway, the point came where we believed we were capable of making a really good game that we hoped to release into the public domain scene. This was the start of Max Rally. To cut a long story short, the game was made by 2 young guys that were self taught, trying hard to make a worthwhile game that played well. Obviously 8 years later I have nothing to gain from saying this but I can tell you we did genuinely try really hard with that little game, sacrificing a good number of teen years to do it. It may seem sad in one respect now that I look back at it but I'm also very proud! We took a long, long time to develop MR as we faced problems we had never encountered before and our main priority was to make it the best we could. Obviously with no one to tell us what to do or help, we often struggled - designing and making things like map editors for the tracks and so on. Not an easy task when you consider the only reason we made a map editor for example, was because we read that's the way Team 17 did it! With no idea how it was supposed to work we found ourselves experimenting a lot over the course of development. For a couple of very young lads I don't think we did too badly. Stareye is very accurate in his summary, sadly it took us too long to make and was released way too late. But we didn't worry about timescales too much and tried not to sacrifice the quality etc. When we finally finished the game we were pleased with it enough to sell anything we had in order to buy some cases, get some covers printed and then try and sell the game with the hope of making a little bit of money. Unfortunately it didn't quite happen like that.. lol. We got pretty good reviews from the major mags like Amiga Format.. and it was a joy to just be featured in print in the same christmas issue as Worms . My Amiga 4000 is in the loft and I might just drag it down sometime soon to have a game! It does work pretty well with a 4-player adapter :P.

JK
Formerly of Fortress!

My personal website where you can contact me if you wish: http://www.j-k.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

P.S I have quite a few copies of Max Rally packed away somewhere. If anyone is really desperate for the game, I suppose I could post one or two copies.. lol

Old 01 October 2004, 08:24   #11
Amiga1992

Thanks for sharing that story with us, it always is nice to hear the "true story".
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-K
We got pretty good reviews from the major mags like Amiga Format.. and it was a joy to just be featured in print in the same christmas issue as Worms
Well, at 1998, amiga mags were almost instructed, I think,. to give good reviews to anything that was being released, having in mind the dire commercial state of the Amiga by then.
Quote:
P.S I have quite a few copies of Max Rally packed away somewhere. If anyone is really desperate for the game, I suppose I could post one or two copies.. lol
You could probably dump them for the CAPS team to preserve!

Cheers,
Old 01 October 2004, 20:03   #12
dwood

J-k

great story. are there any other game designers who want to share their story?
Old 01 October 2004, 20:39   #13
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
Yeah, stories like that should be added to HOL somehow
Old 01 October 2004, 21:44   #14
J-K

I'm glad you guys found it mildly interesting! I actually wrote more than that but because of how long it took to write I lost the text, and had to log back in. Luckily I didn't have to write it all again as I had copied it before clicking submit. Somehow I managed to lose a paragraph though.. ah well.

I made a friend for life out of the experience - Mark, the guy that coded Max Rally and who now works as a lead programmer for a major UK games developer. I went on to work for a few games development companies as a graphic artist and worked on some games that have since been published for PC, Playstation, X-Box and so on. So all in all MR served as an ideal launch-pad for our careers and yet it's still the game I'm most proud of as it was the most personal.

Akira: Whilst I'm aware the quality of games dropped a lot during the end of publications like AF, CU Amiga and so on. I don't think it's entirely fair to say they awarded any game high marks. There were other games in the same issue of AF the month our game was reviewed and they didn't score too highly at all. It's possible that during better times it may not have scored quite so well but who knows. I believe it was fair (80% for those that don't know) - but I would as I'm biased! At the time we released it the Amiga was crying out for games to show off the new hardware available but Max Rally wasn't technically superb, it didn't take advantage of new graphics cards. It came on 2 disks and worked on your Amiga 500. Obviously as 2 relatively naive lads we had no idea that the scene was going to decline in such a dramatic way when we first started development. Fact is we'd have continued making that game until completion had the Amiga completely died before we had chance to finish. In my opinion we made a simple solid game that was and is playable - especially to fans of the genre. Give it a chance and you'll find a few original ideas in there too . Obviously not everyone will agree but that's to be expected and is perfectly fine of course. Somewhat interestingly I've since worked on cutting edge technology based games where I've been able to fully exploit my creative abilities as an artist and yet I still find myself drawn back to many classics. With the exception of Q3 and a few others!

Cheers
J-K

Old 02 October 2004, 03:18   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
After checking out the demo I say this is not worth buying at all... Unless you are one of those zealot amigans that buy any sort of shit that gets released.
And I'd also say you are a bit of an arsehole because you haven't looked at the game for more than 2 seconds.

Oh well, I'm sure you are reasonable to most newcomers so I'll let you off.
Old 16 October 2004, 21:53   #16
cv643d

I played the demo when it was reviewed by AF. I love top down racers and I think it the demo was fun!

I was planning to download it from a BBS or from the Internet back in the day (sorry ) but never found it.
Old 17 October 2004, 19:37   #17
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-K
I made a friend for life out of the experience - Mark, the guy that coded Max Rally and who now works as a lead programmer for a major UK games developer. I went on to work for a few games development companies as a graphic artist and worked on some games that have since been published for PC, Playstation, X-Box and so on. So all in all MR served as an ideal launch-pad for our careers and yet it's still the game I'm most proud of as it was the most personal.
Thanks for that!
Could you please specify the exact credits for HOL? The obvious "who-did-what", that is? There are none atm, and in my opinion in-game credits are always second best if you can get 'em first-hand
The game is an Amiga original, isn't it? To my knowledge, there have no conversions to other systems been done yet.