English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Music

Old 21 April 2018, 15:10   #1
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Lightbulb MaxTrax / MXTX Player

I remember having nightmares finding something to convert this format long ago, but I'm almost certain that on my music conversion server I managed to get UADE working with the MaxTrax EaglePlayer and used that for conversion because I've (at some point) converted A-Train.

Now for whatever reason, that no-longer works. UADE itself still works, but during playback it will bail out with...

Code:
Illegal instruction: 4afc at 00001306
uade warning: Song ended prematurely due to error: score crashed
... but only on MXTX files, other formats are fine so it must be the EaglePlayer for this format specifically.

Anyway, my question to you guys is: Does anyone know how to either fix UADE/EaglePlayer so that it doesn't crash out on this format, or alternatively know of another media player which can play this format? (with export functionality as I need to convert them).

Thanks.
Old 21 April 2018, 16:24   #2
meynaf
son of 68k

There is a Delitracker player for it. I remember having modified it for DT2's noteplayer interface (which UADE perhaps still does not support) and correct tempo for Kyrandia songs.

Now it depends on what kind of "export" you want exactly...
Old 21 April 2018, 18:54   #3
Don_Adan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enverex View Post
I remember having nightmares finding something to convert this format long ago, but I'm almost certain that on my music conversion server I managed to get UADE working with the MaxTrax EaglePlayer and used that for conversion because I've (at some point) converted A-Train.

Now for whatever reason, that no-longer works. UADE itself still works, but during playback it will bail out with...

Code:
Illegal instruction: 4afc at 00001306
uade warning: Song ended prematurely due to error: score crashed
... but only on MXTX files, other formats are fine so it must be the EaglePlayer for this format specifically.

Anyway, my question to you guys is: Does anyone know how to either fix UADE/EaglePlayer so that it doesn't crash out on this format, or alternatively know of another media player which can play this format? (with export functionality as I need to convert them).

Thanks.
MaxTrax player used audio.device. I dont think that UADE can handle audio.device. Same like Deliplayer.
Old 21 April 2018, 19:40   #4
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Now it depends on what kind of "export" you want exactly...
Basically to export the track as raw WAV audio (not extracting samples or anything like that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
MaxTrax player used audio.device. I dont think that UADE can handle audio.device. Same like Deliplayer.
That's what I saw when I looked into the Eagleplayer for the format.

I just wish I could remember how I did this before given the fact that nothing (on PC) appears to be able to play them at the moment.
Old 21 April 2018, 20:38   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Basically to export the track as raw WAV audio (not extracting samples or anything like that).
Delitracker2 on the Amiga can do this, thru the 14bit-noteplayer (the one from Chris Hodges).

If you prefer Deliplayer on the pc, then you can try my ntp converted player.
It's available here (as well as other players). Maybe it will work on dp, maybe not.
Old 21 April 2018, 21:02   #6
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Deliplayer seems to natively play them but it's rather janky and seems to want me to find the sample file every single time a file is played which is a bit silly. Anyways, it plays the right channel but not the left so that doesn't quite work.

I can't try your players as I literally cannot find a single program to open LZX archives on Windows (or Linux) these days.
Old 21 April 2018, 22:17   #7
kgc210

Quote:
I can't try your players as I literally cannot find a single program to open LZX archives on Windows (or Linux) these days.
I know it's long winded but you can use a setup on WinUAE an extract it to a PC folder
Old 27 April 2018, 10:45   #8
GraveR

To extract LZX on a modern machine, you could try unar, it's free and is for modern OSes, like Linux, Windows, and MacOS.

https://theunarchiver.com/command-line
Old 27 April 2018, 19:08   #9
mai

Quote:
Deliplayer seems to natively play them but it's rather janky and seems to want me to find the sample file every single time a file is played which is a bit silly. Anyways, it plays the right channel but not the left so that doesn't quite work.
Indeed, if i remember correctly Deliplayer for PC was able to play MaxTrax format, but cant check it anymore because i have not installed Deliplayer for PC anymore for Incompatibility with newer Windows Systems reasons.
Old 28 April 2018, 01:14   #10
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveR View Post
To extract LZX on a modern machine, you could try unar, it's free and is for modern OSes, like Linux, Windows, and MacOS.

https://theunarchiver.com/command-line
No need to mess with command line tools. Much easier to use something like Universal Extractor with a nice GUI that supports lzx plus a bunch of other obscure formats, as well as all the usual suspects (zip, rar, 7z etc.).

https://bioruebe.com/dev/uniextract/
Old 15 July 2018, 13:24   #11
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Thanks DrBong, that worked for extracting. Unfortunately I tried Deliplayer with that version of the MaxTrax decoder and it still did the same thing - one side was missing entirely and you couldn't turn off the LED/filter. It didn't work with UADE at all ("Got Amiga message before playloop: noteplayer warning" then "uade warning: Song ended prematurely due to error: score crashed").

Can anyone else think of a way of doing this? I know I did it at some point in the past as I already have it on the site (and I'm 99% sure I wouldn't have used an actual Amiga or UAE to do it).

Last edited by Enverex; 15 July 2018 at 14:14. Reason: Add UADE note
Old 16 July 2018, 10:21   #12
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Thanks DrBong, that worked for extracting. Unfortunately I tried Deliplayer with that version of the MaxTrax decoder and it still did the same thing - one side was missing entirely and you couldn't turn off the LED/filter. It didn't work with UADE at all ("Got Amiga message before playloop: noteplayer warning" then "uade warning: Song ended prematurely due to error: score crashed").

Can anyone else think of a way of doing this? I know I did it at some point in the past as I already have it on the site (and I'm 99% sure I wouldn't have used an actual Amiga or UAE to do it).
This MaxTrax player is for Amiga DeliTracker2, not PC Deliplayer nor UADE.
Old 16 July 2018, 10:25   #13
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Ah right. I thought those "Eagleplayers" were all the same and worked across all 3. Unfortunate that it's not the case.
Old 16 July 2018, 10:36   #14
meynaf
son of 68k

Right. Having them work everywhere is done by either using only basic features or making one version for each...
Old 16 July 2018, 10:43   #15
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Which is why MaxTrax is such a pain... makes sense. Thanks Maynaf.

If anyone finds a way to play them back on Linux or Windows, please let me know.
Old 16 July 2018, 10:47   #16
meynaf
son of 68k

The only way I know is DT2 under some UAE.
Old 17 July 2018, 23:38   #17
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Not sure Delitracker is going to be viable. It doesn't seem to have an export facility of any sort, doesn't have great track controls and can't do anything such as stereo join (at least that I've found anyway).

Absolutely amazed that there are zero PC players capable of the format.
Old 18 July 2018, 11:19   #18
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Not sure Delitracker is going to be viable. It doesn't seem to have an export facility of any sort, doesn't have great track controls and can't do anything such as stereo join (at least that I've found anyway).
There is a version of 14-bit Noteplayer able to do what you want (change stereo width, aiff export, and more). You wrote before you wanted raw WAV extract and it can do that. It's not easy to find nowadays, though, but i guess i could zone it for you.
Old 18 July 2018, 11:29   #19
Enverex
Fantasy Man!

Hmm, I'll look into the 14-bit noteplayer then. Having major issues controlling the Amiga though due to how I have to access this machine so it's rather painful to do anything on the Amiga itself (hence why I'm still looking for a PC player).
Old 18 July 2018, 11:32   #20
meynaf
son of 68k

This is what emulators are for