English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 29 December 2012, 19:36   #1
DarthKaal

Some issues with CD32 and WHDLoad [Solved]

Hi there!
First, I'd like to thank you, it's a real pleasure to use FS-UAE on Mac.

That said, I've encountered some problems, don't know if they are known (I haven't seen any thread about them) or if I just did something wrong (more likely).

Game saves on CD32
It seems that I can't make any saves on CD32.
In Diggers, for example, I can't play it cause I have to save my profile at the main desk before beginning any digging mission. In the save book, I click to save but nothing happens.
In D/Generation, there is an option to save your progress, but even if it says "game saved", when I restore it goes back to the beginning...
I know I could use FS-UAE's state save option instead, but to be honest, the few times I've used it in D/Generation, I had state saves that just reset the CD32 when restored.

Loading freezes in WHD games
Using different configurations, and launching whd games from a virtual hard drive or directly from the whd option in the launcher, I always have screen freezes and flashes during a loading. It can be very frustrating during cutscenes, like in Epic intro (the screen flashes, the music stops)...

So, is there something I did wrong, or just something I can do to fix those issues?

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 03 January 2013 at 14:59. Reason: Changed title

Old 29 December 2012, 21:43   #2
nexusle
Banned

Which version of FS-UAE do you use? Official or development release? Which Mac and Mac OS do you use?
Old 30 December 2012, 00:24   #3
DarthKaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusle View Post
Which version of FS-UAE do you use? Official or development release? Which Mac and Mac OS do you use?
I'm using FS-UAE 2.0.1 and I believe it's the official release (the app bundles from the official website, not the source code).
And I'm on a 2007 iMac using OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

Old 30 December 2012, 03:35   #4
Dic_Ray

Okay, then please give the actual development version from http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/download-devel a try.

Last edited by Dic_Ray; 30 December 2012 at 11:45.
Old 30 December 2012, 13:15   #5
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Diggers: I tested this with Diggers (1993)(Millennium)(NTSC)[!], and the game works without saving the profile first. I just had to select workers, and then a map region. The save option did not seem enabled (perhaps you must have some game progress first?)

D/Generation: I tested this and when restoring the game, it restored at the start at the game and not where I saved. Perhaps it's not a bug, and the game always restores to the start of the level where you saved? Have you tried saving/restoring on a later level, and/or know that the save mechanism should work differently?

Epic: See my post further down.

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 31 December 2012 at 21:14. Reason: Refer to later post for Epic
Old 30 December 2012, 16:41   #6
DarthKaal

About CD32 saves, it seems that you're absolutely right, and Diggers and D/Generation were not the most obvious choices to test that...

In Diggers, I didn't remember that you have to exit the building after choosing race and location in order to start a mission. And yes, you can only save after you've finished a mission. The weird thing being that you have to put the exact same name to load a saved game. Just pushing the load button give a in-game "general error" message.

For D/Generation, you might be right, maybe it has some checkpoints you have to reach before saving. I'll see.

EDIT: launching the CD32 without CD and looking in the save menu shows indeed that the saves have well been created for both games.

And another trouble I've seen on the CD32 emulation (yeah, sorry, I'm a bit hardcore when concerning emulation...^^): concerning the audio tracks, and comparing with what a real CD32 did, it seems that there is a bit of delay before an audio track starts. Most of times, it's not a problem, it's even pretty invisible, but you can clearly see it in cutscenes using the audio track not only for the music but also for the sound effects.
For example, you can clearly see it in the Liberation: Captive II intro sequence, where the sound is completely out of synch.

Old 30 December 2012, 17:04   #7
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Please try with the latest development version: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/download-devel
A CD32 audio timing issue was fixed in WinUAE 2.5.0beta26, and the fix is included in the FS-UAE development versions.
Old 31 December 2012, 01:35   #8
DarthKaal

Works real better with this version, thanks.

Old 31 December 2012, 01:39   #9
lesta_smsc

Frode! Good to see you still developing! I've been busy with work so not had time to experiment any further with FS-UAE but once I get a moment, I'm looking to play multiplayer again! How about Silkworm next time! :P
Old 31 December 2012, 21:09   #10
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Epic: The flickering is probably due to the WHDLoad slave loading data for the next cutscene (see http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=858743&postcount=2 for reference). Add "PRELOAD" to the WHDLoad arguments like this:
Code:
Epic.slave PRELOAD
Also you may need to give the Amiga some more memory, for example 8 MB fast RAM. when using PRELOAD (with sufficient memory), the flickering disappears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Frode! Good to see you still developing! I've been busy with work so not had time to experiment any further with FS-UAE but once I get a moment, I'm looking to play multiplayer again! How about Silkworm next time! :P
Fine as long as I get to play with the chopper

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 01 January 2013 at 14:58.
Old 01 January 2013, 14:50   #11
DarthKaal

Works great with the PRELOAD argument, even without fast RAM.

Old 05 January 2013, 12:08   #12
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Fine as long as I get to play with the chopper
OOh... now that might be a difficult compromise! :P Can we switch controls (so basically swap sides) during gameplay on FS-UAE? lol.