English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What difficulty level do you usually play games on?
Very Easy (or anything lower than Easy) 4 7.14%
Easy 5 8.93%
Normal / Medium 38 67.86%
Hard 3 5.36%
Very Hard (or anything higher than Hard) 6 10.71%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 June 2007, 15:46   #1
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Big grin What difficulty level do you usually play games on?

So, which is it?

*poll idea stolen*
Old 15 June 2007, 15:50   #2
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I generally play em on the mode they are initially set on.

If it's a really good game then once I've completed it I'll play it again with a harder difficulty.

Something in my mind tells me not enjoy games at lower difficulty levels, it makes me feel weak.
Old 15 June 2007, 15:53   #3
laffer
Zone Friend

I usually play games on hard.. I never play them on very hard if that's available.
Old 15 June 2007, 15:57   #4
Ironclaw
Banned

I play on default setting. If it's too hard, I lower it. In general it's on normal.

My vote is on normal difficulty.
Old 15 June 2007, 15:58   #5
Dizzy
Pirate

I would say if they game dont give my anything extra playing it on hard I go for the normal, but if you get more when playing on hard (as some adventuregames) I prefer that
But if the diff is only that you die easier on hjard I dont see the point in playing it that way
Old 15 June 2007, 15:58   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Something in my mind tells me not enjoy games at lower difficulty levels, it makes me feel weak.
Yeah, it doesn't feel too good... "Hey! I've just finished <input name of the game here> on *VERY EASY*!!! WHOAaa!"
Not to mention the length of the game decreases drastically...

I usually try (or force myself ) to play on normal/medium, or - as KG said - the mode it's set on... SuperFrog on easy, anyone?
Old 15 June 2007, 16:10   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
I would say if they game dont give my anything extra playing it on hard I go for the normal, but if you get more when playing on hard (as some adventuregames) I prefer that
Yeah I forgot about Monkey Island and such having the harder option. If it's an adventure game then I pick hard!
Old 15 June 2007, 16:11   #8
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
Yeah I forgot about Monkey Island and such having the harder option. If it's an adventure game then I pick hard!
Me too everytime!.. I want it all in those games.

Because, if it's on hard difficulty, it usually takes longer to get through the game as more stuff will appear..

ehh, what mean is...:

I WANT IT LONG AND I WANT IT HARD!. (not referring to anything else but the game ).

Last edited by Ironclaw; 15 June 2007 at 16:23.
Old 15 June 2007, 16:21   #9
BippyM
Global Moderator

I usually play on normal
Old 15 June 2007, 16:44   #10
Legerdemain

Hardest available, to begin with. If it is too hard then I drop down to the pre-set difficulty.
Old 15 June 2007, 17:35   #11
keropi

I play in easy to see if the game is good , then go to normal... I wanna pass 1-2 levels easily at first to make a good judgement!
Old 15 June 2007, 17:39   #12
Paul_s

Normal here
Old 15 June 2007, 17:42   #13
TikTok

Hardest available, almost always. Most games these days (particularly first person shooters) are just too easy any other way - some you can run through to the end without ever dying.

Having said that, I am re-playing Doom 2 at the moment and would never consider playing that on "Nightmare"!
Old 15 June 2007, 18:47   #14
Graham Humphrey

I usually start on Easy and then make my way up. Easy is a good way of getting used to a game. And of course there are games like Project-X which only allow you to play a certain number of levels on a lower difficulty, you don't have much choice then.
Old 15 June 2007, 23:33   #15
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Initially I would play a game on normal, but if i find it too simple, I usually crank it up to hard, I have to admit, as it has been said here, most fps and rts games are too simple that I slam them on hard stright away. and yes...

I have beaten doom on Nightmare setting where the creatures respawn, it was far from easy! but that literally is kaning a game to death,

doom 3 and quake 3 arena (and quake 4) are two of the worse normal mode settings of fps i have played, to get any feeling of challenge you have to krank them right up the levels!!!

I am yet to find a good stratagy game that makes demands, since there all easy!

(if anyone mentions AOE or anything that uses the or like the AOE/2 engine i will strangle you with your own intestines, since they are over used CRAPOLA! putting it reallly nicely)

this being said, I recently got a copy of R-TYPE final for my PS2... that spanks the crap out of me on normal!!! but i REFUSE to try it on easy after all I am a gamming GOD not a newb!!!!!! (a gaming god that gets owned on normal and prolly easy if i tried it LOL )
Old 15 June 2007, 23:36   #16
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
this being said, I recently got a copy of R-TYPE final for my PS2... that spanks the crap out of me on normal!!! but i REFUSE to try it on easy after all I am a gamming GOD not a newb!!!!!! (a gaming god that gets owned on normal and prolly easy if i tried it LOL )
I can't even complete it on Easy!
Old 15 June 2007, 23:38   #17
Shoonay
Global Caturator

@Zetr0: May I propose C&C3 with the newest 1.5 patch?
I only finished the GDI campaign on normal and it was quite challenging, playing for the 1st time - tried a few 1st GDI missions again with the patch on normal - even better/harder/more playable!
HoM&M5 maybe?

@Graham: Likewise... damn hard shmup :/
Old 16 June 2007, 02:15   #18
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@GH

you know i have feeling that this would be the case for me also.... its a damn hard (yet tastey) shmup!

@Shoonay

I have been saving up for this, and when i get a little more pocket money i do so intend to buy it , my bother recomends it to, he said he had to put it on easy to beat it... but when I can roll him in under 5 mins, hmmmm.... I do look forward to owning this game, it will complete my C&C collection!

HoM ? M5 ? not sure what these are.

Battle for Middle Earth 2
Good but linear and predicatable but MUCH better than the original

Star Craft
Enjoyable with a good learning curve, lots of tactical employments wich give a good variety of game play. most RTS's i play I compare to this.

2100 / 2150
A great game, but damn long winded. where a multiplayer game can run into several hours!

some other classics i care to mention are Commando's and Hidden and Dangerious 2... both different variations on a theme lol but ironically the same... H&D2 had a slightly harder learning curve where by the top down view of commandos with the missions virtually explaned to you before you start!

hmmm i tihnk i shall have another crack at R-type Final
Old 16 June 2007, 02:34   #19
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
I do look forward to owning this game, it will complete my C&C collection!
...and a complete collection, hopefully, shall it be!
C&C3 is just awesome - like the good old C&C's with new eye-candy graphics (ION cannon! MAN!!! ), improved user interface and *GREAT* (re)playability. Aside the 1st and the 3rd, I liked Tiberian Sun only - no Red Alerts/Generals for me! yuck!!! (Yeah, I know C&C3 runs on a *much* improved Generals engine )

Quote:
HoM ? M5 ? not sure what these are.
HoM&M5 = Heroes of Might & Magic 5
Old 16 June 2007, 03:05   #20
captainxod
Just another angry gamer

I play them on their default settings, which is probably normal/medium. If the game seems too easy, then I jack up the difficulty. If it seems too hard, I persevere until frustration becomes unbearable. (When that happens, the game is put away and not touched for months, even years. Sometimes never again.)