English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 17 June 2023, 19:00   #1
Nightfox

Cool AmigaGPT - ChatGPT client for AmigaOS 3.2

CURRENT VERSION: 1.4.6

Hi all!

I have worked on a fun project for a few months now and pleased to make a first release for it! I will continue to develop and update the app.

AmigaGPT is an app for AmigaOS 3.9+ and PPC AmigaOS 4.1 that lets you chat to ChatGPT or generate images. Supports saving conversations and text to speech!

It requires AmigaOS 3.9 (Cloanto's Workbench 3.X will also work) or above (including AmigaOS 4.1) and AmiSSL 5.9 to both be installed.

Read more here:
https://github.com/sacredbanana/AmigaGPT

You can download it from:https://github.com/sacredbanana/AmigaGPT/releases or http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/AmigaGPT

Please do let me know what you think of it

VIDEO REVIEWS:

Proteque - Classic Beige Nostalgia:
[ Show youtube player ]

Dan Wood:
[ Show youtube player ]

Les Docs (French):
[ Show youtube player ]

Official song of AmigaGPT:
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Nightfox; 13 April 2024 at 10:09.
Old 17 June 2023, 19:11   #2
trixster
Guru Meditating

Good stuff. Why does it need 3.2?
Old 17 June 2023, 22:42   #3
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
I guess it uses Reaction from 3.2.x for the GUI

@NightFox
Thanks a lot mate for that program.
Sadly my trial API has expired so can't test it atm
I also made an OS4 (MasonIcon) icon App/Drawer in order to match my iconset for 3.2

I'm attaching it here for anyone interested.
Attached Files
File Type: lha AmigaGPT_OS4Icon.lha (16.4 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by mfilos; 17 June 2023 at 23:19.
Old 18 June 2023, 01:50   #4
Nightfox

Quote:

mfilos is correct. I built the GUI with 3.2 gadgets and the window is the new window.class. This was my first time building an Amiga app using BOOPSI and I wanted to use all the new shiny BOOPSI gadgets that Hyperion had updated. Although texteditor.gadget doesnt have all functions implemented yet so changing the pen colour for example just doesn't work. Hoping Hyperion will update the gadget in the next release of AmigaOS

@mfilos

Nice! Those icons look great. Would you like me to add them to the AmigaGPT repo? Happy to put it in for you, or you can create a pull request. Or it doesn't have to go in if you don't want that
Old 18 June 2023, 01:57   #5
Pyromania

Nice, thanks a bunch for doing this. I didn't even know this was possible to do.
Old 18 June 2023, 02:01   #6
Nightfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Nice, thanks a bunch for doing this. I didn't even know this was possible to do.

Anything is possible if you believe <3
Old 18 June 2023, 09:21   #7
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
@mfilos

Nice! Those icons look great. Would you like me to add them to the AmigaGPT repo? Happy to put it in for you, or you can create a pull request. Or it doesn't have to go in if you don't want that
Feel free to include them in the archive mate
Old 18 June 2023, 10:11   #8
trixster
Guru Meditating

@nightfox thanks for the explanation. My machines use either 3.1.4 or 3.9, so a shame I can’t try your programme! But nice work!
Old 18 June 2023, 10:21   #9
Nightfox

Quote:
@nightfox thanks for the explanation. My machines use either 3.1.4 or 3.9, so a shame I can’t try your programme! But nice work!
Thanks very much and sorry for using Hyperion's new shiny features. I do recommend upgrading to 3.2 though, it's a huge improvement
Old 18 June 2023, 19:10   #10
pixie

We already have a tiny market, perhaps it could also be made with MUI. Anyhow good to see asoftware in touch with today's reality
Old 18 June 2023, 20:55   #11
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
The GPT part of this isn;t what impresses me, it's the fact the JSON biindings compile for amiga/68k
Old 18 June 2023, 22:04   #12
StevenJGore
Amiga Fanatic

I have translator.library 43.1 and narrator.device 37.8 installed but they aren't detected. It's says neither are installed.

Also, should it save the font prefs?
Old 18 June 2023, 22:37   #13
samo79

Nice, I wonder if it also works under AmigaOS 4 ... considering Reaction gadgets was directly backported from OS4 to OS 3.2 ;-)
Old 19 June 2023, 04:38   #14
Nightfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
The GPT part of this isn;t what impresses me, it's the fact the JSON biindings compile for amiga/68k
Haha yes I had to port the json-c library over to get it to compile. I was so sick of parsing json strings manually so spent a day finding a library to use and then getting it to compile.

I should put this ported library in its own repo for others to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenJGore View Post
I have translator.library 43.1 and narrator.device 37.8 installed but they aren't detected. It's says neither are installed.

Also, should it save the font prefs?
As per the readme, the narrator.device needs to be installed in the same folder that AmigaGPT lives in. I did it this way so you can use either one by switching the speech system in the menu. so an example of where narrator.device will live:

SYS:Utilities/AmigaGPT/devs/speech/34/narrator.device

and for v37

SYS:Utilities/AmigaGPT/devs/speech/37/narrator.device

Yes, it should save the font prefs. Fonts are a little buggy in this first release, and dont always get applied unless you restart the app. I will work on fixing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo79 View Post
Nice, I wonder if it also works under AmigaOS 4 ... considering Reaction gadgets was directly backported from OS4 to OS 3.2 ;-)
I have tested it. The app works in OS4, but speech doesn't work at all (causes a crash), and the chat output shows asterisks instead of making user prompts bold

Last edited by Nightfox; 19 June 2023 at 05:05.
Old 19 June 2023, 23:45   #15
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

Quote:
mfilos is correct. I built the GUI with 3.2 gadgets and the window is the new window.class. This was my first time building an Amiga app using BOOPSI and I wanted to use all the new shiny BOOPSI gadgets that Hyperion had updated. Although texteditor.gadget doesnt have all functions implemented yet so changing the pen colour for example just doesn't work. Hoping Hyperion will update the gadget in the next release of AmigaOS

@mfilos

I totally agree with your decision to require Amiga OS 3.2 - If people don't start using the new tools, then nobody will be motivated to upgrade.
I would guess that most people that have their Amiga on the Internet are already using one of the more modern versions.
Old 19 June 2023, 23:57   #16
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_Computi View Post
I totally agree with your decision to require Amiga OS 3.2 - If people don't start using the new tools, then nobody will be motivated to upgrade.
I would guess that most people that have their Amiga on the Internet are already using one of the more modern versions.
I am wondering what features which are present that 3.1 doesn't present. One thing is taking advantage of the extra features of 3.2, but is this the case? This is just for the sake of alienating sake?
Old 20 June 2023, 02:52   #17
Anakirob
Unregistered User

If you can get ChatGPT to generate AmiBlitz code that looks even halfway close to functional without hand feeding it a ton of working source code then you're doing better than me

AMOS is a different story, but AMOS is lame :P
Old 20 June 2023, 03:06   #18
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
I am wondering what features which are present that 3.1 doesn't present. One thing is taking advantage of the extra features of 3.2, but is this the case? This is just for the sake of alienating sake?
No, it's the usual reason - laziness. Making GUI elements from scratch is hard work, so when the OS already has one ready to go...

But upgrading to Amiga OS 3.2 isn't particularly difficult or expensive. We should all do it, just so we can stick it to the naysayers who insist the Amiga can't be used for 'modern' applications.

ChatGPT for the Amiga is awesome! I can't wait to tell people how I got it to write my code for me. Laziness squared!
Old 20 June 2023, 08:20   #19
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
No, it's the usual reason - laziness. Making GUI elements from scratch is hard work, so when the OS already has one ready to go...

But upgrading to Amiga OS 3.2 isn't particularly difficult or expensive. We should all do it, just so we can stick it to the naysayers who insist the Amiga can't be used for 'modern' applications.

ChatGPT for the Amiga is awesome! I can't wait to tell people how I got it to write my code for me. Laziness squared!
Well I can't agree more with you, it's good that is brought to Amiga, I have no doubt it can be hard work, but if I told you the amount of times I saw back then, a given program having support for multiple gui libraries, when we had a much bigger user base, that's why it puzzles me. Regarding OS 3.2 I won't talk about your points because I would be going off topic and I don't want to derrail the thread, as you've put so we'll "ChatGPT for Amiga is awesome"! :-)
Old 20 June 2023, 08:57   #20
Locutus

Quote:
Haha yes I had to port the json-c library over to get it to compile. I was so sick of parsing json strings manually so spent a day finding a library to use and then getting it to compile.

I should put this ported library in its own repo for others to use

Please do!

I started out diffing the changes, but if you could move your changes into a fork of the json-c repo so some git history is maintained that'd be superduperawesome.