English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 May 2015, 15:25   #1
Comiga

880 Gamer Issue 6 ... Finally out now!

Hi Everyone!

Issue 6 of 880 Gamer is finally ready to be downloaded for you all to read and find one of my many errors

http://www.users.on.net/~stanners/

At this very moment I am in Shanghai China which means I am behind the great firewall of China which means I can not access google, or even lemon Amiga. The EAB seems to be the only site I can access (after a very loooong wait), so here I am to let you all know

Please help spread the word that the magazine is out for anyone interested.

The download site is a bit rough due to limited access I have here, but hope it all works! Please let me know if you have any issues.

Anyways, hope you all enjoy the latest issue!

Cheers!
Mark
Old 13 May 2015, 15:46   #2
AF2013

I had good look and I like it but one problem thought....you forgot put Final Fight in!
Old 14 May 2015, 04:26   #3
Comiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF2013 View Post
I had good look and I like it but one problem thought....you forgot put Final Fight in!
And we have a winner!

As mentioned I am now in China, and just before I uploaded the final copy I picked up on this. Its a long store why it happened, but long story short I dumped eveything on my old laptop to take with me only to forget to include the Cover's folder containing all of the graphical files.

It is on my google drive, but the great firewall of china is blocking pretty much all google (have a small work around for gmail). As I wont be back home for 3 weeks, I thought I might as well upload it, leave a clue about it in the Talk Back section and see how long it will take for someone to pick up on it ... and looks like it only took a few hours

When I get back I will update the front cover accordingly which you can re download if that sort of thing drives you crazy

Anyways, hope you all like it! I will include Final Fight in the next issue for anyone who was looking forward to it
Old 14 May 2015, 09:07   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

And issue 6 is now on the Amiga Mag Rack for anyone that wants to just read an individual review or two...
Old 14 May 2015, 10:13   #5
liviux76

Great job Mark!
I can't wait to have some spare time to check it out!
Thanks!
Old 14 May 2015, 12:48   #6
Comiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
And issue 6 is now on the Amiga Mag Rack for anyone that wants to just read an individual review or two...
You are a legend! Just checked it out, looks awesome on the site as always!

For anyone looking for the disk scan, this was also not on my laptop so I will include this with the Zip when I update in a few weeks time (when I get home).
Old 14 May 2015, 12:50   #7
Gzegzolka

Nice
Old 16 May 2015, 00:15   #8
Reido

Nice work as always!
Old 16 May 2015, 01:01   #9
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Cool! I'm looking forward to getting stuck in, thanks. Anyone tried this on a Nook/Kindle? Sometimes PDFs are legible if you can't get hold of the ePub/mobi version.
Old 17 May 2015, 22:52   #10
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

To answer my own question, 880 Gamer can just about be read on my Nook, but it's a pretty messed up, frustrating experience. The text flows well enough, though everything else gets displaced and jumbled up so it's not clear which rating relates to which aspect of a game, or which caption should be attached to which screenshot.

Any chance of converting the .odt to the open source .epub format next time round pretty pleasums? Here's how you'd go about it.

Nevertheless, I persevered and really enjoyed your thorough, entertaining and well researched articles, thanks. I really do think the mag would benefit from letting a proof-reader/editor give it the once over before it's released though. I don't mind volunteering my grammar/spelling-Nazi services if it helps.
Old 18 May 2015, 09:23   #11
Comiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
To answer my own question, 880 Gamer can just about be read on my Nook, but it's a pretty messed up, frustrating experience. The text flows well enough, though everything else gets displaced and jumbled up so it's not clear which rating relates to which aspect of a game, or which caption should be attached to which screenshot.

Any chance of converting the .odt to the open source .epub format next time round pretty pleasums? Here's how you'd go about it.

Nevertheless, I persevered and really enjoyed your thorough, entertaining and well researched articles, thanks. I really do think the mag would benefit from letting a proof-reader/editor give it the once over before it's released though. I don't mind volunteering my grammar/spelling-Nazi services if it helps.
I was going to ask how you went with this, although it does not sound like it was a big success! It is a shame Libre Office currently does not have an option for saving out as EPUB as this would make life easier. Looking over the link it looks like there are a number of options to use, however each seems to have it's own quirks in the conversion, but I will give it a go when I am back.

As for always releasing an epub, at the moment I am using my personal web space from my internet provider, but its only 50mb and I am soon going to be out of space so not sure if I can really do it next issue until I work out where I am going to start storing all this stuff. I have a backup plan to get some more space, but its not going to last forever

And yes... my spelling and grammar I did warn everyone this issue would be a bit off.. I had to upload it before I left to China as most stuff here is blocked and I was unsure if I could access my web space to upload while here, but at the same time I did not want to wait 3 weeks until I got back, so it was a very hurried check that night while packing and trying to get ready for a 3:00am departure the next day

You will be happy to know I have already enlisted the help of another individual here for following issues to give a good proof read prior to releasing, which means issue 7 should be a lot tighter. I have been driving Codetapper mental over my spelling (it took a few issues before I finally started writing lose instead of loose ), and he has offered on a few occasions to help out which I have finally agreed to prevent further loss of sanity for people like you

Thanks for the offer, and glad you enjoyed the latest issue.

P.S. When I get back I will be fixing a few issues such as front cover mistake, and some spelling along with adding cover disk scan, so you can re-download then if my spelling drives you that crazy hehe! Cant say everything will be fixed... but might be a little better ... maybe...
Old 18 May 2015, 20:05   #12
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I've had good results with Calibre - that seems to be the one most people recommend, and it's multi-platform, which is a bonus. There are also online 'convert anything to anything' services. I think Zamzar is the most popular one, but a dedicated app is probably the best way to go.

Good to hear you're all sorted on the proof-reading front. Thanks Codetapper. Yes, it is quite jarring to read - my stupid brain keeps correcting and tweaking everything on autopilot rather than just absorbing and enjoying the content. Otherwise it would flow nicely, and I could pretend I'm reading Amiga Power back in '91.

Keep in mind there are quite a lot of instances where a spell-checker won't help e.g. choosing when to use 'to' or 'too', 'of' or 'off', correctly spelt words, but in the wrong tense or context. I'd also avoid using the same word two or more times in the same sentence. It's not exactly bad grammar, just not good form.

The content remains top-notch, which is the important thing.

Last edited by dreamkatcha; 21 May 2015 at 23:50.
Old 18 May 2015, 21:34   #13
AF2013

Had got final fight in?
Old 21 May 2015, 10:15   #14
Comiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF2013 View Post
Had got final fight in?
This will be removed from the cover... But will be in the next issue
Old 21 May 2015, 23:06   #15
SuperPlay

Great stuff, looking forward to reading this