English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 February 2012, 17:51   #1
brett71

A3000 RTC issues

Greetings,

Some time ago I picked up an A3000D from eBay and have done some upgrades/refurbs to it. One of the changes I had made was replacing the NiCad RTC battery with a more modern NiMH battery in the same form factor by a guy who used to be an authorized Commodore service tech back in the day, so I'm relatively confident the work was done right. However, both before and after the battery change, the clock behaved erratically.

The clock would of course keep perfect time while the machine was powered on. If I turned the machine off for an hour or two and powered it back up again, the clock would still have the correct time. However, if I left the machine off for a day or two, when I turned the machine back on, the clock would be several hours off. I attempted to find the amount of time that had to pass for the clock to start malfunctioning, but was never able to find that sweet spot.

I'm unsure where the fault is. Could the battery not be charging correctly? I've left the computer on for a week straight once to try to give the battery a nice charge-up, but then the clock would start misbehaving almost right away. Could there be a fault in the recharging circuit? Could the RTC chip be bad? Anyone have any other ideas? What else can I do to troubleshoot? I don't own a multimeter or even know how to use one to check to see if the battery is even getting any juice.

Thanks!
Old 01 February 2012, 19:18   #2
Jope
-

There's not much we can say if you don't have a multimeter, but you sort of narrowed it down. Either the clock chip is shot or it isn't getting enough volts.
Old 01 February 2012, 19:47   #3
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I had the same issues with an coin battery which was replaced on my A4000 mobo.
Turned out to be a discharged battery cause when I measured it, it was 2.4V while a new one was 3.2V.
Once I changed it I never experienced a time change again.

Imho, replace the battery with a new one and you'll be set.
Old 01 February 2012, 19:57   #4
mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
I had the same issues with an coin battery which was replaced on my A4000 mobo.
Turned out to be a discharged battery cause when I measured it, it was 2.4V while a new one was 3.2V.
Once I changed it I never experienced a time change again.

Imho, replace the battery with a new one and you'll be set.

There is a better solution in coin batteries than the CR2032 hack out there now. a 3.6V lithium coin cell called the LIR2032. Because of the higher voltage the amiga clock will be happier longer because the voltage will not drop too low as soon.Do not let the motherboard charge the LIR2032! you must still use a diode.
There are separate wall chargers to re-charge the LIR2032 it if it ever goes low.

Mech
Old 01 February 2012, 20:07   #5
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

Nice I didn't know that Mech mate.
Is it a compatible coin drop-off? Meaning is the size the same with the CR socket so it would be just a matter of replacing the CR one with the LIR one?
Old 01 February 2012, 21:33   #6
mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
Nice I didn't know that Mech mate.
Is it a compatible coin drop-off? Meaning is the size the same with the CR socket so it would be just a matter of replacing the CR one with the LIR one?
Yep,the size is the same, will fit your old coin holder if it used a cr2032. Drop in replacement.

Mech
Old 02 February 2012, 01:13   #7
SpeedGeek

The battery voltage is certainly something you should try verify and you don't need an expensive DMM for that... the el-cheapos will work just fine for this task. The other possible besides the RTC (and I would try reseating before replacing the chip) is to look for possible corrosion on traces caused by the original battery. Your tech may have installed the replacement battery correctly but may not have bothered to clean the PCB before doing so.

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 03 February 2012 at 23:17.
Old 02 February 2012, 23:53   #8
brett71

The amazing thing about the 3000D I picked up was that the original NiCad battery was actually in fairly good physical shape (very little to no acid leakage) and I didn't see any corrosion on the topside of the mainboard.

Another 3000D I had prior to this one and I resold also showed the same symptoms, but that battery was in visibly worse shape and showed signs of corrosion on the board.

I'll try to pick up a multimeter from Radio Shack and see if I can pick up any voltage in the battery. Is there a way that I can also check to see if the clock chip is getting juice like it should?
Old 03 February 2012, 07:48   #9
Jope
-

Yes, select 20VDC on the multimeter, the black probe goes on the minus terminal of the battery, and the red probe goes to pin 18 on the RTC chip U190.

How to count pins in chips:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_in...lead_numbering
Old 25 June 2021, 19:29   #10
reinauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech View Post
There is a better solution in coin batteries than the CR2032 hack out there now. a 3.6V lithium coin cell called the LIR2032. Because of the higher voltage the amiga clock will be happier longer because the voltage will not drop too low as soon.Do not let the motherboard charge the LIR2032! you must still use a diode.
There are separate wall chargers to re-charge the LIR2032 it if it ever goes low.

Mech
What part of the battery specs and/or the Amiga charge circuit make the LiR2032 incompatible w.r.t in-system charging?

I have read in several places that this is the case, but nobody ever gave an explanation. Is this a matter of limiting the charge current?
Old 25 June 2021, 21:34   #11
gdonner
Ancient Amiga User

A weird problem I've had with my A3000 RTC is that although the original Varta battery was removed (area cleaned) and replaced with a coin cell/diode (and the clock chip replaced too), when cold booted the date always reverts to February 28, 2018.

I've tried resetting the AMNESIA bit with SCSIPrefs and SetBatt, but to no avail. I can only assume it's a hardware issue that's cropped up since the repair a year or two ago. :-|
Old 26 June 2021, 05:48   #12
Warty

err, doesn't that mean that it's not maintaining time at all when computer is off, but is instead reading from disk, the last known date of Feb 28, 2018? When I redid my A3000 battery, the 3.x install worked fine, and the 1.3 install would be stuck at a date a few days ago (I think when I first did it, but don't remember). It essentially wasn't reading the clock at all. (after I found the right piece of software for 1.3, it stopped being a problem).
Old 26 June 2021, 06:09   #13
pipper

When the clock stores the last written time but does not advance it during machine power off, it is likely that the circuit providing the external 32khz is broken. Check very carefully around that. This happened to me and I found a broken trace around a via that previously had battery-green corrosion on it.
Old 27 June 2021, 17:45   #14
whaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinauer View Post
What part of the battery specs and/or the Amiga charge circuit make the LiR2032 incompatible w.r.t in-system charging?

I have read in several places that this is the case, but nobody ever gave an explanation. Is this a matter of limiting the charge current?

the way LiPo need to be charged is very different.
you need to control voltage and current in different state of the charge.
and this is done by a smart controller which sense what happen and physically stop charging when full, lithium don't like overcharging at all.

for charging NiCd/Mh you can do this with a very simple circuit, by only limiting the current very low, then this allow to let it in floating charging without any risks, and this is what amiga do.