English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 June 2007, 17:31   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Super Stardust HD (PS3) Review = Good

Looks like it's finished and it's finally been reviewed (by eurogamer), and it's apparently very good!

Some choice quotes:

Quote:
Let's not beat about the bush - this game is the best fun I've had on the PlayStation 3 since the machine launched
Quote:
Super Stardust HD is an absolute star, the jewel in the crown of the PlayStation Store and quite possibly the best purists' shooter to appear on console since the legendary Geometry Wars.
Full review: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=77354
Old 19 June 2007, 17:37   #2
Dizzy
Pirate

Old 19 June 2007, 17:38   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Great News.... how would you feel about other Amiga games being given a makeover and reissue like this - I think it would be good to see some more classics given this treatment.

Some games did not live up to the hype of being reissued on the newer platforms... speedball and sensible soccer IMHO didn't work but it would be good to see what the PS3 did with games like... Canon Fodder or syndicate.
Old 19 June 2007, 17:42   #4
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I liked this game on the amiga. I got quite close to finishing it. Its just a shame with the PS3 console price tag, I won't be getting to play it in HD.
Old 19 June 2007, 20:43   #5
Ian
Global Moderator

Convince yourself you need a blu-ray player and it ain't so bad
Old 19 June 2007, 21:09   #6
Dizzy
Pirate

WE NEED A BLU-RAY PLAYER AND IT AIN'T BAD

Old 19 June 2007, 21:20   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

@ Dizzy
Old 19 June 2007, 22:07   #8
IFW

Told ya it was very good
Old 20 June 2007, 09:33   #9
Graham Humphrey

Looks absolutely fantastic, but I don't think it's worth spending £23,794.53 on a console just to play one game.
Old 29 June 2007, 21:13   #10
StarEye
Zone Friend

Just got released here today, and being an avid Amiga fan, and seeing great reviews, I just had to buy it - even if it meant buying a game in a genre I usually don't like. My verdict?

WOW!

Absolutely love this game! Much more than Geometry Wars, which I wasn't extremely impressed by. So incredibly addictive and fun... it's got that "just one more go to see if I can beat my highscore".

My first goals are:

Primary Goal: Open up the second planet (which means, complete all five phases on the first planet).

Secondary goal: Get a score high enough to gain an extra life. Only halfway so far. :P
Old 29 June 2007, 21:51   #11
Jimbo

Seems like thats the best PS3 game there is. Next Gen consoles reverting back to older games is so corny. Glad I own a proper next Gen console. 360 all the way

Before anyone mentions the live market place games, these are true originals that cost about £5 to download with the exact same graphics they had back in the arcades just in a higher res
Old 29 June 2007, 22:50   #12
StarEye
Zone Friend

Seriously, that's just bullshit. To me, Motorstorm and Virtua Fighter 5 is better than most of what the X360 has to offer.

And it's not an "older game" either. It's a full-blown sequel. If this was released on the PS2 (although it would struggle to handle the graphics, I think) it would've been full price. Instead it costs £8.

Right now though, I'm playing Gears of War co-op with my wife. Good game, worthy of an 8/10. Extremely overhyped, but good nonetheless. Before that, we played through Resistance, which was very good as well. We're on Act 5 on GoW now, so we'll probably finish the game soon. Then it's over to Rainbow Six Vegas... recently bought on the PS3.

Good reasons to have a PS3 right now:

Motorstorm
Virtua Fighter 5
Super Stardust HD
Resistance
The Darkness (also on the X360)

Coming next week: Ninja Gaiden Sigma (just a remake, but still excellent)
Old 29 June 2007, 23:46   #13
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
Good reasons to have a PS3 right now:

Motorstorm
Virtua Fighter 5
Super Stardust HD
Resistance
The Darkness (also on the X360)

I'm really interested in Virtua Fighter 5, but I'll wait until the XBox360 version comes out, though, since they probably will have updated some bits and pieces (and I do hope the sparring-AI-partner from Virtua Fighter 4 will be reinplented, that would be awesome).

Motorstorm just didn't cut it, in my book. What I do like about it? Well, for starters the controls are awesome. Heavy vehicles feels like heavy vehicles and light-weight ones feels like light-weights ones. The amount of detail in the graphics (mud, dust, what.not) is really high. The general feel when driving is excellent... but, the fact that there are way too few levels doesn't manage to keep my interest up. Oh, let's do this specific stage some 25 times with different vehicles and different difficulty level... no, seriously, they should have included more levels. Also, why does the game run in 30FPS? Why? I mean, the hardware SHOULD be capable of running it in perfect 60FPS, but no... and while it doesn't make the gameplay suffer, it does make it seem a tad unpolished. But, what annoys me the most is the really odd colission detection. Oh, well, here I just ran into a mountain but I just barely bumped... but, oh, well, here I ran into a tiny little stump of tree sticking out of a bridge and my vehicle exploded and threw me some 30 meters up in the air. Why? Once you learn how the colission detection works, it doesn't offer any problems, really, but why did they do it this way in the first place? And, also, compared to Excite Truck it just lacks the speed. It isn't really a fast game. So... no, while it feels like a decent game with wonderful controls, and overall feel in the gameplay (besides the colission detection), I felt rather 'done' with the game after just a couple of hours of playing. Also, the graphics didn't really impress me much at all, only the level of details (dust, mud, tracks, whatever) making it feel more 'realistic'. It didn't deserve the hype. If it hadn't been for the hype I would probably have been more satisfied with the game... since it wouldn't have had anything to live up to.

Concerning racing games and Motorstorm, Excite Truck wins hands down according to me. Excite Truck may suffer from 30FPS and some minor screen-tearing, but the speed! The controls! The hysteria when reaching the later levels when things go so fast that one barely can understand how one manages to keep track of what is happening (but still manage to do just that very thing)... well, uhm, I'm in a trance. I've never had so much fun with an arcade racer, ever. I don't play Excite Truck. I live it. I'm jumping up from the sofa, standing up playing the most intensive parts, and my friends do the same when watching... they just seem to, uh, 'move' with the twists and turns... almost to the extent of getting a little workout themselves while only watching. Aaaaaaaaah, I want to play it right now but I can't... I'm not even at home.

Super Stardust HD, well, I'm drooling.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma, well, I've been thinking about playing the original on the XBox, and now comes this remake... which probably be just as good as the orginal (if not even better), so, yes... this will be interesting to give a go. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 30 June 2007, 00:30   #14
StarEye
Zone Friend

I understand your opinion on Motorstorm. I agree it does feel a bit unpolished at times, and it suffers from the first-gen decease. Still, like it for what it is. They really should have added a two-player split-screen as well, then it'd be close to perfection.

Anyway, I've tried the Colin McRae Dirt demo, but I wasn't overly impressed by the direction they took. Colin McRae Rally 2.0 is still the best one yet. I really want Flatout Ultimate Carnage, but right now I'm too into VF5 and co-op games. Also played Flatout 2 on the PC, so I'm not sure if the upgrade is worth it.

By the way, I downloaded Championship Sprint on the PSN as well, was great fun playing again. Fast and furious as ever, and it's got online multiplayer as well, which is a great plus.

But Super Stardust HD.... wow.

DamienD: I'll pick up a Wii eventually, but right now there's not on it that I want. Also, I have a LCD HDTV, and I'm afraid the picture will look like hell on it, being an SDTV console and all. Twilight Princess is the only game that really interests me (and I already have a GC, so I could just buy the GC version)... that and Wii Sports, but that will probably only be fun for a short while until the novelty runs off.
Old 30 June 2007, 00:32   #15
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Ninja Gaiden sequal on PSCrap3... Ninja Gaiden was one of the many reasons why I purchased an Xbox over PS2...
Well, it isn't a sequel... it is a remake of Ninja Gaiden, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 30 June 2007, 00:32   #16
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
WTF... Ninja Gaiden sequal on PSCrap3... Ninja Gaiden was one of the many reasons why I purchased an Xbox over the PS2...

Trust me, I've played on a Xbox360, PS3 and Nintendo Wii (my crazy friend has all 3 connected to his 60" TV). If I was to actually shellout some cash it would definitely be for the Wii, best fun handsdowns
Old 30 June 2007, 00:35   #17
Legerdemain

How could my reply position itself ABOVE the post I quoted?
Old 30 June 2007, 00:36   #18
StarEye
Zone Friend

Magic. Only possible by the CELL!!!!

:P

Seriously though, it's weird.
Old 30 June 2007, 00:39   #19
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legerdemain
And I'm sure Damien posted something similar to that post earlier... where's it gone?
Old 30 June 2007, 00:45   #20
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legerdemain
Explanation to all... LOL

Easy, me drunk and totally removed my post... Made some changes and then re-posted again with slight changes

You had already quoted my old post... Sorry, shouldn't have really done that