Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis21 View Post
One more vote for (against?) Sierra.
Yep completely agree the slow down where just painful
Old 05 April 2011, 12:41   #42
BippyM
Global Moderator

I don't think there is a worst developer.. If they were shit they were painfully shit.
Old 05 April 2011, 12:46   #43
BrooksterMax

I vote for Sierra too, some real woeful attempts there.

However don't forget "Sterling Games"
http://hol.abime.net/2979

They ported Championship Manager 2 for the Amiga and it was very very late, very very bad and rubbish! We already had a PC by the time it was released....

I am still angry today! I used to go to GAME in Chester every month asking for updates on the release (alhtough not any more!!)
Old 05 April 2011, 12:49   #44
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-Zark-7 View Post
Leisure Suit Larry 2 from Sierra wasn't perfect,but I'd still lean towards the Amiga version over the PC one due to the miggy version having better sfx.
Obviously you haven't played it with MT-32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda
Anco / Kingsoft
Agree with Anco, but Kingsoft made a few good games.
Old 05 April 2011, 17:29   #45
blade002
Zone Friend

"ICE"

I don't think they EVER produced a quality game and their graphics artist was appalling bad!.

Whoops, i just realized i already said this
Old 06 April 2011, 00:51   #46
CritAnime

having played Leisure Suit Larry 2 I know vote against Sierra.
Old 06 April 2011, 14:39   #47
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Big grin

@Hewitson.
Nope,can't say I had the pleasure,but in playing/owning the lsl collection a few years later on PC Cd-rom,I still rated the miggy version slightly ahead due to spot samples fx. Albeit the island sequence,(just after larry escaped the cruise ship),where you wander the jungle to each location the first time was MUCH less painful on a faster PC version!

Delphine's early adventure games,(esp. Operation Stealth),were probably even more of a teeth grinder towards the end,the shark sequences & mazes especially! (alongside a crappy menu control system), But the ST/arcade translations probably feature more prominently to one's mind as you had a greater expectation of what to expect. As mentioned earlier,Ghouls n' ghosts or likewise any tiertex game were especially bad for that.
Old 06 April 2011, 15:25   #48
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Anco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Agree with Anco
You're breaking my heart people.
Old 06 April 2011, 16:49   #49
hitchhikr

I was under the impression that Anco were more a publisher than developer of their games (like for Kick Off which was probably the best game they published or Player Manager).
Old 06 April 2011, 20:39   #50
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
ANCO were both the publisher and the developer of all Kick Off games, and Player Manager. No more than a handful of people in Dartford that managed to produce a series of games that were loved by millions, as well as some other decent titles like Highway Hawks and Death Trap. Sure, sometimes their lack of manpower and resources was evident but I don't know how anyone could call them the worst Amiga developer ever.
Old 06 April 2011, 21:09   #51
jimmy2x2x
Beyond Mutton

TITUS for me, I was always suckered in by the great looking screens usually with huge sprites then thoroughly disappointed with the games.
Old 06 April 2011, 22:53   #52
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-Zark-7 View Post
Leisure Suit Larry 2 from Sierra wasn't perfect,but I'd still lean towards the Amiga version over the PC one due to the miggy version having better sfx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Obviously you haven't played it with MT-32
Here's a little video I recorded showing both the Adlib and MT-32 versions of the Leisure Suit Larry 2 opening theme (recorded using a real MT-32, not crappy emulation).

[ Show youtube player ]

EDIT -
Quoted from the post below this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
I just checked LSL3 as well and LSL3 is my favourite Sierra game by far. The soundtrack in that is godly.
Recorded a video comparing the opening tune from Larry 3 using the Adlib and MT-32 as well, exactly the same as the other video only this time with the LSL3 tune.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by laffer; 07 April 2011 at 01:56.
Old 06 April 2011, 23:14   #53
StarEye
Zone Friend

The MT-32 is a beast, no doubt. Just about every Amiga game I've seen had better sound through that. I just checked LSL3 as well and LSL3 is my favourite Sierra game by far. The soundtrack in that is godly.

Oh, to stay on topic.... I don't know about developer, but they certainly weren't the best publishers on the Amiga. I give you Zeppelin Games: http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_publisher=648

Last edited by StarEye; 07 April 2011 at 00:07.
Old 07 April 2011, 10:25   #54
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
The MT-32 is a beast, no doubt. Just about every Amiga game I've seen had better sound through that. I just checked LSL3 as well and LSL3 is my favourite Sierra game by far. The soundtrack in that is godly.
When I mentioned Sierra as the worst it was LSL3 I was thinking about, the central forrest screen was so slow.
Old 07 April 2011, 12:50   #55
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicidal View Post
When I mentioned Sierra as the worst it was LSL3 I was thinking about, the central forrest screen was so slow.
Heh, I didn't notice when I played it back in the day with my 1mb ram A500. As a matter of fact, the only reason I can see Sierra as the worst Amiga developers is if you only look at the later Sierra ports (Space Quest 4, LSL5, Police Quest 3 looked horrible on the Amiga, and they were slow as hell).

It was when Sierra started with VGA games that the Amiga suffered. Imo. Sierra as the worst Amiga developer is pretty hyperbolic.
Old 07 April 2011, 14:36   #56
laffer
Zone Friend

Only the AGI Sierra games ran well enough for my tastes, everything else ran too slowly to be enjoyable in my opinion.

When you compare the 16 color SCI0 Sierra games with Monkey Island 1&2 and find that, despite both looking and sounding much better, they still run better... then I find the rather poor performance in any Sierra game besides the AGI ones too annoying to bother with.
Old 07 April 2011, 15:44   #57
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
When you compare the 16 color SCI0 Sierra games with Monkey Island 1&2 and find that, despite both looking and sounding much better, they still run better... then I find the rather poor performance in any Sierra game besides the AGI ones too annoying to bother with.
Completely agree I think the only point in monkey island that it go annoyingly slow was the rowing around monkey island, there must have been a strong tide or something at certain points of the island :P
Old 08 April 2011, 11:19   #58
StarEye
Zone Friend

Maybe you were one of those that didn't realize that you had to click on the end of the map to make Guybrush row faster?

But if you click in the middle of the ocean, Guybrush rows extremely slow. Click on a more specific place, like the beach or the end of of the map to get to other parts of the island, and he goes faster (I don't know if it's normal, but I generally walk a lot faster when I have a destination, rather than when I just walk around with no specific goal in mind).

Oh, and regards to the Sierra games, I seriously hope nobody played on the default walking/animation speed? Because I always set the walking speed to faster or fastest. Choosing fastest on my Amiga today though, will be makes the games way too fast. I honestly can't remember LSL3 and its like being particularly slow. Maybe loading and saving, but that's not something unique to Sierra.
Old 08 April 2011, 11:52   #59
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Maybe you were one of those that didn't realize that you had to click on the end of the map to make Guybrush row faster?
No it was deffinatly the strong tide that made him row slower
Old 11 April 2011, 09:53   #60
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Oh, and regards to the Sierra games, I seriously hope nobody played on the default walking/animation speed? Because I always set the walking speed to faster or fastest. Choosing fastest on my Amiga today though, will be makes the games way too fast. I honestly can't remember LSL3 and its like being particularly slow. Maybe loading and saving, but that's not something unique to Sierra.
Most of the time on faster yes. But for those fantastic "touch this pixel and you die" moments, it went on slow. And it went on slow quite often because of that.