English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 10 July 2019, 10:34   #1
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

WHDLoad / CD32 Games that can be completed with only a joystick / gamepad

I'm updating my emulation pc at the moment and thought I'd get around to finally putting some Amiga games on it and could do with getting together a list of games that are fully playable without the need for a mouse or keyboard. I'll mostly be using WHDLoad games so if the game has been patched to work with a CD32 pad that's fine. If a game is mostly playable but you can't do certain things like enter a level code that's also fine.

There will probably be a lot of crossover with this thread here so I'll probably start adding those to this list in time.
EDIT: and this thread http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57540

With regards to CD32 games, I would assume most (all?) CD32 games can be played fully with a CD32 pad but there might be some strange ones out there that require a mouse or keys? Cannon Fodder perhaps?

The list is available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

The list below will be removed once the information has been added.

Games with CD32 Pad support added via WHDLoad
Bloodwych

Games with native CD32 Pad support
Worms DC - It asks you to click a mouse or press a cd32 button to proceed, and defaults the controller to what you choose.

Last edited by killergorilla; 12 July 2019 at 09:30.
Old 10 July 2019, 11:19   #2
Gordon
Settler

Worms DC. It asks you to click a mouse or press a cd32 buton to proceed, and defaults the controller to what you choose.

It is is nice to see you back on here. Your WHDLOAD packs helped me get back in to Amiga many years ago and I will always be grateful.
Old 10 July 2019, 12:26   #3
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Thanks man!

It's good to be back
Old 10 July 2019, 19:19   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

Maybe this thread is slightly redundant with that one? http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=68797

your list is missing a lot of games. Ex: Bubble Bobble, Jim Power, Rubicon... Maybe the list could be on a google drive somewhere instead, like for CD32load compatibility list.
Old 10 July 2019, 20:39   #5
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah, I mentioned above it has a lot of crossover with that thread. This is just a starting point, to get some interest, as it gets more complete it'll likely move to Google drive or somewhere similar.

It's missing lots at the moment, just started it at work
Old 10 July 2019, 21:41   #6
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Don't forget this thread. Which lists many CD32 controller patched games.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57540
Old 10 July 2019, 22:38   #7
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Mega Lo Mania

WHDLoad allows entry of the level codes via pad, as well as a pad-as-mouse option
Old 10 July 2019, 22:48   #8
jotd
This cat is no more

most of the updates I'm doing have full CD32 pad support so can be played without a keyboard. Next in line is Pinball Dreams.
Old 11 July 2019, 10:44   #9
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
most of the updates I'm doing have full CD32 pad support so can be played without a keyboard. Next in line is Pinball Dreams.
Awesome, that's probably the top of my list of games that need cd32 pad support

I've started a google drive spreadsheet, just sorting out what information I want to collect so I don't have to start this again in a year's time
Old 11 July 2019, 11:03   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

Pinball Dreams is near completion. Just have to find a way to map the ESC/Y sequence to return to the menu, and everything can be done with a pad.

A google spreadsheet would be excellent. Please share as soon as you have it, I'll contribute (don't make it too complex, as this is a common illness to create 32154 cells that noone ever fills properly)
Old 11 July 2019, 11:14   #11
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Right, this is it to start with...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I have a number of goals out of this project, but they all rely on having good information, which is why I wanted to start this list in the first place.

As you say, I don't want it to end up being some massive chore with a load of irrelevant fields so I've tried to only include the ones that I'm interested in. We can add more if needed but I don't want to just for the sake of it.
Old 11 July 2019, 21:57   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

good. What's with the colors? orange/green what's the meaning if any?

I'm personally trying to standardize CUSTOM2=1 for "2nd button jumps". But I cannot speak for others.
Old 11 July 2019, 22:05   #13
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

EDIT:
Green means it works as described in the readme
Orange means it works, but not entirely as described in the readme
Red means it doesn't work with only a pad for whatever reason

On a side note, if anyone fancies testing menace for me? I can't seem to get the cd32 controls to work. PLAY doesn't pause it and BLUE seems to just quit back to workbench.

Last edited by killergorilla; 12 July 2019 at 00:31.
Old 12 July 2019, 02:59   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Snos Bros v1.3: Works fine with my all pads i tried on my real A1200.
Xenon v1.2: No problems with the CD32 pause button.
Menace = Also no problems with all the CD32 control options. For exit to WB you have to first press "Play" for pause, then REV+FRWD+Green+Yellow+Blue+Red.

Tried that with my Honeybee CD32 controller and a Genesis to Amiga CD32 adapter+Sega 6-Button controller. For Snow Bros (2nd button for Jumping) it also works fine with my Tecno Plus controller and a plain Sega 6 button directly connected. ClassicWB LITE, ACA 1233n and WHDLoad 18.5.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 12 July 2019 at 03:20.
Old 12 July 2019, 08:34   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Cheers man! I was only testing under emulation and it wasn't the most compatible configuration. Will take another look later.

Not sure how realistic it would be but it'd be nice to have a little more consistency between slaves for button combinations!
Old 12 July 2019, 08:41   #16
jotd
This cat is no more

I'll adapt my slaves so they're consistent. But I can't speak for others.

BTW You'll make that sheet writable for others or you prefer maintaining that alone?

Also, it seems that the CD32 joypad fight is being won, but there are issues with 2 button joystick & honeybee & rev 1B whatever motherboards for slaves using lowlevel lib (when hardware/custom read works!!). I'm willing to fix the lowlevel thing, replacing it by something that works. But it seems that some 2 button joysticks are just too capricious even for my autodetect.
Old 12 July 2019, 08:52   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Ah yeah, making it editable, good idea, will do that later
It's Editable: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

It seems that Menace has trouble on WinUAE, I simply can't get it to work. I've tried a number of configurations but had no luck. EDIT: The game works, I just can't get it to use cd32 controls, and for some reason blue just quits the game.

JOTD, would it be easier to have a tooltype to force CD32 mode so that when autodetect fails it could still be set? Or am I missing something (it's highly likely )

Last edited by killergorilla; 12 July 2019 at 09:05.
Old 12 July 2019, 09:32   #18
wairnair

I made Superfrog orange because it works erroneously on real CD32. Pressing fire pauses the game (and shoots if you picked up the eye in the game). Strangely it works perfectly with WinUAE.

Thank you for the doc/effort
Old 12 July 2019, 16:00   #19
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I can confirm this for Menace with WinUAE, latest Beta zip. The CD32 controls don't work properly, Blue button quits to WB. Very strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
I made Superfrog orange because it works erroneously on real CD32. Pressing fire pauses the game (and shoots if you picked up the eye in the game). Strangely it works perfectly with WinUAE.

Thank you for the doc/effort
Are you sure that you use the latest patch version v1.4 (disk version)? Superfrog works fine on my A1200 with a CD32 pad.

edit: The CD32 version v1.3 works properly too. Looks like a hardware/software imcompatibility somehow.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 12 July 2019 at 17:01.
Old 12 July 2019, 17:39   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I checked Superfrog 1.4 code and it uses standard CD32 pad read code almost identical to code used in lowlevel.library.