English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 01 March 2008, 18:50   #1
Demiurgo

OS 3.9 Default Icon Viewing - I feel so stupid...

Hi to everyone....i've got a problem: I'm using amikit and i couldn't find where i can change the default icon (window) viewing (show all & icon action)...i've tried to search in the options with no results......thanks for the answers
Old 01 March 2008, 19:57   #2
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
I'm not sure what you mean. And i'm not familliar with amikit.
But if you are asking how to change the behaviour of drawers with no icon in it's parent drawer then you need to fiddle with ENVARC:sys/def_drawer.info

- create a new drawer in ram: (or wherever you like, for the purpose of this example i'll be referring to ram:rename_me as the drawer you just created.)
- open ram:rename_me/ in workbench and make the neccesairy adjustments (eg. Window position and size, show all files/only icons and view by icons/name/...
- use menu item window>snapshot>window
- open a CLI or shell and type: copy ram:rename_me.info to envarc:def_drawer.info
and you're done if i understood correctly what you were asking.
If you want to apply the change without having to reboot you should also copy ram:rename_me.info to ENV:sys/def_drawer.info

Last edited by smoorke; 02 March 2008 at 00:21.
Old 01 March 2008, 23:25   #3
Demiurgo

Thankyou for your answer...Yes, you've understand what i've said.
i've tried to do what you said but i found 2 dirs:

1 - Prefs/Env-Archive/Sys/
2 - Prefs/Presets/Deficons

in BOTH directorys are 3 drawers :

1 - def_drawer
2 - def_drawer_IconAction
3 - def_drawer_ShowAll

where i have to put the ".info" file? only ".info" or the icon too? thannkyou again
Old 02 March 2008, 00:14   #4
smoorke

Again i'm not familliar with Amikit so i'm not sure what this iconaction really is.
But reading your reply tells me you're not quite understanding how icons work.
Icons are special files with '.info' as extension, when workbench doesn't find these files it searches ENV:sys/ for the corresponding default icon (eg. def_drawer.info, def_project.info def_tool.info, def_disk.info and def_trashcan.info)

To come back to your question, open a CLI/Shell and type
Code:
cd envarc:sys/
copy def_drawer_showall.info to def_drawer.info
To see results without a reboot do the same but this time in the env:sys/ directory.
I hope i didn't confuze you and made some things clear about icons.

Reading my first reply made me realize i forgot to mention you need to do the last step from CLI so i edited it to include that.

Last edited by smoorke; 02 March 2008 at 00:27.
Old 02 March 2008, 09:35   #5
Demiurgo

ok...first of all thanks a lot....
The Icon Action is an option to see the window with the bar of directory opus...so my ideal config was window with icon action & show all...
if i try "copy def_drawer_showall.info to def_drawer.info" it works , but i can't have icon action...if i do "copy def_drawer_iconaction.info to def_drawer.info" it works but i can't have show all...
so i've tried to copy the entire drawer "rename_me" i've created and modified in ram (icon+info) in ENVARC:SYS/ and then (from cli) i've copied the info file to def_drawer (copy rename_me.info to def_drawer.info), now in ONE hard disk (windows hd) it works well, but not in the others!
i don't now if it's a (my) problem with amikit, os 3.9 or dopus...
please
EDIT: my previous settings in the others harddisk are "snapshotted" but i create a new drawer and it was all right (iconaction+showall).
so i think the problem was resolved...thanks a lot!

Last edited by Demiurgo; 02 March 2008 at 10:47.
Old 02 March 2008, 10:45   #6
smoorke

Sorry but i havn't got any clue as to why it still fails to operate properly. I don't use dopus so i don't know if the problem exists there or if you should look elsewhere.
Uhm, just maybe one of these will work:
- menu Tools>ResetWB
- menu Workbench>Update all
- and at the risk of sounding like a dumb M$ user, have you tried a reboot?
Keep us posted on your progress and maybe someone else will know where the trouble lies.

On a side note: icons are the '.info' files. I see you still refer to them seperatly.
Old 02 March 2008, 10:53   #7
Demiurgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoorke View Post
Sorry but i havn't got any clue as to why it still fails to operate properly. I don't use dopus so i don't know if the problem exists there or if you should look elsewhere.
Uhm, just maybe one of these will work:
- menu Tools>ResetWB
- menu Workbench>Update all
- and at the risk of sounding like a dumb M$ user, have you tried a reboot?
Keep us posted on your progress and maybe someone else will know where the trouble lies.

On a side note: icons are the '.info' files. I see you still refer to them seperatly.
i've edited the message when you post the answer! it's all right...all works fine...thankyou....yeah the icon file are the ".info" i mean (sorry for my english) the info file + the directory....however thankyou!