English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 June 2007, 15:20   #1
SWOS

Anyone has their Amiga connected to an LCD TV?

i am thinking about getting a 17,19 or 20 inch LCD tv since its the easiest way to connect the Amiga and i dont need any adapters like the PC LCD/monitor..

maybe a 20 inch Samsung but am not going for widescreen since no Amiga game supports widescreen and i can have empty edges on the screen(if i use the zoom feature i might loose quality?)

any tips would be great.

thanks

Old 30 June 2007, 15:23   #2
Graham Humphrey

I'm no expert on this but maybe this thread could help you out?
Old 30 June 2007, 15:29   #3
SWOS

i was just wondering if i would face any problems..but i don't think so since its running fine 100% on my 42 inch widescreen Sony Vega HDTV .. maybe some1 has a pic of an Amiga connected and running on a small (15-21inch) LCD TV?

thanks
Old 30 June 2007, 15:53   #4
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
Im using a LCD TV for my CD32 setup, check signature for link to picture.
Old 30 June 2007, 17:24   #5
SWOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss
Im using a LCD TV for my CD32 setup, check signature for link to picture.
cool looks gr8!

but i think u need another table or something that cabinet looks a bit crowded

BTW why isn't it fullscreen? (http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/c...iratesGold.jpg) top and bottom are black is it coz the TV is widescreen?

I just bought the Samsung LA20S51B , will connect it sometime tomorrow!

to check it out:

http://www.samsung.com/he/products/t...v/la20s51b.asp
Old 30 June 2007, 17:37   #6
TheBoss

Hehe thats what happens when you are a collector and gamer
It is fullscreen but the game itself has black borders to begin with so thats why it looks like that.

Here is a pic I just took in WB so you can see what it usually looks like.
Old 30 June 2007, 17:40   #7
SWOS

cool! looks much nicer than an old monitor (those old huge bulky ones!) or even a new CRT.

here is a pic of the LCD that i just got an hour ago(from a website):

Last edited by SWOS; 30 June 2007 at 18:00.
Old 30 June 2007, 17:44   #8
Graham Humphrey

I'm so jealous of you guys, all I have for my Amiga is a bog-standard 14-inch TV...
Old 30 June 2007, 17:46   #9
TheBoss

Looks good and Samsung is good quality
Graham : monitors getting cheaper, maybe you buy one soon
Old 30 June 2007, 17:53   #10
SWOS

Graham as long as it does the job its enough, but i always like to spend a lil extra and take something that would stay longer,look better and maybe even perform better.

i used to have a 21 inch Sony TV last year connected to my A600 , there was nothing wrong with it, had great sound and pic quality(for an Amiga) when compared to an old monitor but i got bored from the size and weight(maybe around 30KG?) of it and gave it for free to my nephew so he could watch dvds on it :P
Old 30 June 2007, 17:56   #11
SWOS

i was checking the specs on a US website it says that it has an PC (RGB) Input does that mean i can connect the Amiga using a cable directly? (or do i still need to get the VGA converter if i want to connect it other than using the RCA cable?)
Old 30 June 2007, 21:26   #12
Paul_s

I keep umming and arring about replacing my cm8833 with a LCD telly. Could hook the laptop upto it as well and save space.. but I still like pal crt's grrr
Old 30 June 2007, 21:39   #13
SWOS

i just got a Composite ("yellow plug") to S-Video cable for my A1200 , i will connect the yellow plug in my Amiga and the S-Video will go directly to my Samsung LCD TV , will this give me S-video video quality(which is better than composite) ? and i can use another composite cable(red and white) for audio.

the one i got looks really similar to this :
http://www.av-cables.net/compositevi...ble-27963.html

the brand is called DAIY its japanese.
thx

Last edited by SWOS; 30 June 2007 at 22:00.
Old 30 June 2007, 22:35   #14
andyr

The Amiga doesn't output an s-video signal - you can have composite or RGB. As it's a TV then it should have a scart socket or RCA (phono) AV connectors along with a VGA connector.

At the most basic, you can connect the RF (Aerial output) to your TV (not recommended) but you should have no problems connecting the composite out from your Amiga to the TV and the quality should be pretty good. You will probably need to source an Amiga to RGB lead though for best quality on that monitor. I could be a lot more specific to what you require if you give a link to the place you are buying the TV - it should list the specs.

I bought a new monitor recently for my PC and it has both VGA and DVI inputs. VGA (analogue) looked fantastic in comparison to my old CRT but I thought DVI (digital) should be even better so I bought a cable. The only difference beteen the two was that the communication between my PC and LCD meant the screen doesn't need adjusting for different resolutions. There is no visible difference otherwise - my point being the composite Amiga on a smaller screen should more than suffice.

To answer your original question - yes, you will be able to connect your Amiga to your LCD. If it's called a TV then it will basically do everything a CRT TV will do - except take up loads of space!
Old 30 June 2007, 22:51   #15
SWOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr
The Amiga doesn't output an s-video signal - you can have composite or RGB. As it's a TV then it should have a scart socket or RCA (phono) AV connectors along with a VGA connector.

At the most basic, you can connect the RF (Aerial output) to your TV (not recommended) but you should have no problems connecting the composite out from your Amiga to the TV and the quality should be pretty good. You will probably need to source an Amiga to RGB lead though for best quality on that monitor. I could be a lot more specific to what you require if you give a link to the place you are buying the TV - it should list the specs.

I bought a new monitor recently for my PC and it has both VGA and DVI inputs. VGA (analogue) looked fantastic in comparison to my old CRT but I thought DVI (digital) should be even better so I bought a cable. The only difference beteen the two was that the communication between my PC and LCD meant the screen doesn't need adjusting for different resolutions. There is no visible difference otherwise - my point being the composite Amiga on a smaller screen should more than suffice.

To answer your original question - yes, you will be able to connect your Amiga to your LCD. If it's called a TV then it will basically do everything a CRT TV will do - except take up loads of space!
i just tried to connect my A600 to my new Onkyo HDMI amplifier but the screen turned a bit red (was playing sensible golf) then i connected the amiga directly to my TV (42 inch Sony HDTV widescreen) and the screen looked okay but it had hmmm there was like a net on the image , its like small white nearly invisible squares covering the screen.. i haven't tried it on my LCD yet.

this is my Amiga TV that am getting this week(general specs):
http://www.samsung.com/he/products/t...v/la20s51b.asp

for more info check:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...3/EN/main.html

so u think a normal composite will do the job? (i have a few quality ones like Monster and Akai..etc) i was thinking about connecting the amiga(video) using RC to S-Video and having sound using normal RC (red and white) from my amiga to my LCD TV.

any info or tips would be appreciated,thanks

PS: on my current big widescreen TV i can see that the image isnt really 100% clear (it moves a bit and its not too sharp) hope u understood what i meant! will this go away with the much smaller 20 inch LCD TV?

cheers

Last edited by SWOS; 30 June 2007 at 23:23.
Old 01 July 2007, 03:49   #16
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

this is my 42" plasma amiga monitor

sometimes i have to share it with the wife and daughter so they can watch a show or two... but by and large this doesnt happen all that often
Old 01 July 2007, 09:41   #17
SWOS

Could anyone show me the difference in quality between using a Scart and a normal Composite cable? maybe they could take a screenshot of the same game in both cables and post a pic to compare... btw i will be using my A1200 ONLY for gaming (no music editing/writting/programing..etc) as i understood from other posts i will get nearly identical quality if i use a Scart or a Composite cable(if i will not be using workbench)?

thanks!

PS: if it helps this is the back of my LCD TV http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...3/EN/main.html

Last edited by SWOS; 01 July 2007 at 09:52.
Old 01 July 2007, 09:56   #18
TheBoss

Check this overview

Antenna:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...blcomp/nrf.jpg
Composite:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...comp/ncoma.jpg
S-Video:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...lcomp/nsva.jpg
Component 480P:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...omp/n480pa.jpg
Component 720P:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...lcomp/720p.jpg
VGA 1280x1024
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images...comp/n1280.jpg
Old 01 July 2007, 13:20   #19
DamienD
Banned

Nice comparison shots Boss

Thread also moved
Old 01 July 2007, 13:28   #20
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Sorry to say this but you have got the worse LCDTV for an Amiga (or in general for that matter, this model sucks!)

With no RGB input you will have to put up with composite. There is a composite (yellow) input.

You will get a very blurry screen with colour bleeding.

There is a VERY slim chance that the PC (VGA) input supports 15KHz video, you need to get a silver Amiga to VGA dongle and the appropriate cable and give it a whirl.

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showha...cgi?HARDID=733

They cost about £5-£10 (dont pay more than that) try to get a Commodore one.