English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 September 2017, 07:38   #41
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
That's a bit of an academic problem, isn't it?
Not since the AmosPro source code became open source. Development is ongoing.

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2017, 12:50   #42
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

As a "purely-ASM"-Guy, I am always wondering where these engines leave all these cycles.
Old 30 September 2017, 14:02   #43
LeCaravage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Nash View Post
If I can make my code more efficient and a bit faster then there could very well be a version for all Amigas.
My Amiga 500 OCS is crossing his fingers
Old 30 September 2017, 17:08   #44
Schlachtwerk
68k RULEZ

AMCAF overwrites nothing, copy lib in the amos pro system folder and than install it by hand at the right bank, Yeahh you speaking of Future AMOS Pro Updates, thats Intresting i looking over the years in the AmosFactory and nothing is going on, last time i look 3 month ago, i dont think thats will come a future update.
Old 30 September 2017, 17:50   #45
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlachtwerk View Post
AMCAF overwrites nothing, copy lib in the amos pro system folder and than install it by hand at the right bank, Yeahh you speaking of Future AMOS Pro Updates, thats Intresting i looking over the years in the AmosFactory and nothing is going on, last time i look 3 month ago, i dont think thats will come a future update.
BruceUncle has had health problems and is just finishing up AmosPro 2.10 bugfix release now even though most of it was done months ago.

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk
Old 30 September 2017, 19:09   #46
Schlachtwerk
68k RULEZ

I have read it hr was in Hospital on the Factory after i wrote the letters.
Old 30 September 2017, 19:59   #47
Jack Burton
It's all in the reflexes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCaravage View Post
My Amiga 500 OCS is crossing his fingers
Seems an Amiga user is/was working on an A500 (7 MHz) version of Double Dragon.

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 30 September 2017, 21:03   #48
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrinsic View Post
RTG possible?
Would allow quite a few A2000-Users and even some A500 (towered) users to enjoy this. And even the one Phoenix-User with a graphics adapter.
Not to mention the A3ks.
Yes all RTG 1200 Tower users would love this too!

Just one thing though please do not lose the Retro feel to the game, improve game play, graphics and even sound but keep the originality.

What I am trying to state is, don't do to this, what Hollywood usually does to old movie reboots.
Old 30 September 2017, 23:48   #49
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Yes all RTG 1200 Tower users would love this too!

Just one thing though please do not lose the Retro feel to the game, improve game play, graphics and even sound but keep the originality.

What I am trying to state is, don't do to this, what Hollywood usually does to old movie reboots.
I don't think it could be anything but retro feeling on an Amiga that isn't Vampire accelerated.

I'm an old school guy so I doubt I could do modern anyway. I just wanted to add a couple of new moves that were influenced by the NES games and that was it. The arcade game played fine as it was. A real dirty brawler!
Old 01 October 2017, 18:03   #50
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Make Billy and Jimmy two strong independent women ?
Old 01 October 2017, 20:44   #51
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Make Billy and Jimmy two strong independent women ?
Very funny Lord Aga !! But I am sure he has slightly less extravagant idea's for this version.
Old 04 October 2017, 10:08   #52
Brick Nash
Prototron

Bimmy Lee does sound somewhat like an old women's name. I doubt furious tea drinking would make much of a game though.
Old 10 October 2017, 14:10   #53
TEOL

Are we going to go the better than arcade better than console approch by 16-Bitting and tarting up some 8-Bit home version exclusive levels making it a bigger game using the 16-Bit arcade graphics and completely redrawn remakes of the console stages placing them in an area which works well or using the old Level 1-1 system to link em that way?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Dragon_(video_game)

As much as I'd love to have a full game with every game DD1 veriation of the game levels ever in it placed in areas that would blend with other areas well I understand us keeping with arcade or console only and minimising the gameplay to the levels of the arcade original only as it's easier than recreating completely the 8-Bit bonus console exclusive levels as well even though the full game with all the extras might be what we would love to play better than the consoles and arcade on an AMIGA all guns blazing version.

Recreating tiles from 8-16-Bit pixel quality to pull it off might be a huge task though as it's gotta match arcade style graphics to merge with the rest so it's imagination based thinking what those small 8-Bit tiles would look like in huge 16-Bit arcade tiles style.

Level 2-2 as I would call it can even be redone with Level 2-1 arcade tile graphics.

[ Show youtube player ]

Theres even a level 2-3 thats possible.

[ Show youtube player ]

2-4 the final stage for level 2 Factory would have to have colouring as well as slight remaking done to it's graphics for that to work as a stage but it looks more arcade level in the sizes already though.

[ Show youtube player ]

Darn it I shouldn't be talking about it as it's making me want a longer sub level splits style full game version like that with arcade level graphics even on the formally console excluve splits of the levels even more now especially since the tiles come to think about it for them are in the arcade stage so it's only a tile placements thing of the Level 2 tiles to make the other splits be able to happen for a full factory stage.

Last edited by TEOL; 10 October 2017 at 14:41.
Old 09 June 2018, 23:17   #54
zambot3

The end?
Old 13 June 2018, 03:27   #55
OmegaMax
Knight Of The Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambot3 View Post
The end?
Looks that way
Old 28 June 2018, 14:59   #56
Brick Nash
Prototron

Not quite. I was just hitting the same brick walls over and over again with the palette and the scrolling and it was getting frustrating.

Programming the moves and gameplay in is easy, but although I know the THEORY behind the stuff mentioned above, I just can't seem to wrap my head around how to practically do them.
Old 28 June 2018, 19:01   #57
LieutLaww

What problems are you having with the scrolling ?
Old 02 July 2018, 13:42   #58
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutLaww View Post
What problems are you having with the scrolling ?
In a nutshell, I don't know how to do it haha!!

As I say, I get the theory behind using tiles and maps etc. but doing it in cold hard code....well I don't have a clue. I'm sure it's one of those things where when it clicks it'll become easy, but as of yet I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. I have all the backgrounds and tiles, and I even have a program that saves a map file in ASM from a whole image. Just no idea what to do with it in Amos.

That leads to the other issue of setting up palettes for each level too, because every stage uses different colours which aren't in the other backgrounds, but the bob colours have to stay the same. Again, something which is easily understandable in theory, but actually doing it and coding it is a pain.

Last edited by Brick Nash; 02 July 2018 at 17:32.
Old 02 July 2018, 18:01   #59
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

The basic idea of scrolling tile map scrolling on Amiga is to draw ahead of you x tiles for every pixel scrolled and also draw behind you the same number of tiles so by the time you get to the end of your screen buffer you have an exact duplicate at the opposite side of the screen buffer.

It might be easier to make a 32x32 tile screen buffer for your map so you can blit exactly 2 tiles ahead and 2 tiles behind outside the visible display for each low resolution pixel scrolled and still have some vertical panning without having to blit additional tiles. This will allow screen shakes and taller-than-screen-size regions without having to worry about updating tiles both vertically and horizontally. Scrolling unlimited in the X dimension is complex enough. Likewise scrolling in the Y dimension becomes just as easy.
Old 02 July 2018, 20:27   #60
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
The basic idea of scrolling tile map scrolling on Amiga is to draw ahead of you x tiles for every pixel scrolled and also draw behind you the same number of tiles so by the time you get to the end of your screen buffer you have an exact duplicate at the opposite side of the screen buffer.

It might be easier to make a 32x32 tile screen buffer for your map so you can blit exactly 2 tiles ahead and 2 tiles behind outside the visible display for each low resolution pixel scrolled and still have some vertical panning without having to blit additional tiles. This will allow screen shakes and taller-than-screen-size regions without having to worry about updating tiles both vertically and horizontally. Scrolling unlimited in the X dimension is complex enough. Likewise scrolling in the Y dimension becomes just as easy.
This isn't an efficient method for horizontal scrolling because you'll use twice as much ram than needed and you'll use twice as many CPU cycles as needed.

A good example of how to do it properly is with Apidya. Boot the game up with the AR3 cart, Start the game, go into the AR3 by pressing page up (WinUAE), type P2 <enter>, then HELP (Page down in WinUAE) and look at the the number on the Bitplane pointers... if you repeat it you'll notice the pointers are going up by two bytes at a time as the game scrolls 16 pixels to the right.

I'll try and explain how it is done.

Consider if the start of your screen address is $60000, and you have 4 bitplanes and the bitplanes are interleaved (next to each other).

As you increase the horizontal scroll register you blit your next tile to the right that is just off screen. If for example you have a value of 4 in the horizontal scroll register then you blit 1 tile at position 4 on the Y Axis to the right just off screen, by the time the scroll register has reached 15 you have blit all 16 tiles to the right of the display window, you simply then add two bytes to each of the bitplane addresses ($60002,$60004 etc) and reset the h scroll register back to 0 and repeat.

For moving left you simply do it the opposite way and do the reverse to the left.

All you have to do is create a buffer at the end of screen memory to allow for the display window to scroll into.

Geezer

Last edited by mcgeezer; 02 July 2018 at 20:37.