English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 February 2012, 22:50   #1
Sandman

SCSI Hard Drive not recognized in A3000

Hi all,

I have a 73gb Seagate SCSI hard drive in my A3000 which was recognized but somehow I managed to screw up the rdb I think. The SCSI chain consists of the Seagate drive and a CF card via a CF-IDE -> IDE-SCSI adapter and an external SCSI CDRom. They were all working but I do get the occasional checksum error on the CF card and the machine doesn't like to boot with a cd in the CDRom drive.

Now it shows as 'unsupported drive' in HDInst or HDToolbox 3.9, it does show in HDToolbox 3.1 and will read configuration and I can edit partitions but when I save I get either a 'error 4 in drive description' or 'error 2 in drive description' and it won't let me save the partitions.

Other than removing the drive and wiping it on my PC, is there anyway to fix this while it is still in my A3000? I really don't won't to tear into this case again!

Thanks!
Old 24 February 2012, 16:28   #2
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Hi all,

I have a 73gb Seagate SCSI hard drive in my A3000 which was recognized but somehow I managed to screw up the rdb I think. The SCSI chain consists of the Seagate drive and a CF card via a CF-IDE -> IDE-SCSI adapter and an external SCSI CDRom. They were all working but I do get the occasional checksum error on the CF card and the machine doesn't like to boot with a cd in the CDRom drive.

Now it shows as 'unsupported drive' in HDInst or HDToolbox 3.9, it does show in HDToolbox 3.1 and will read configuration and I can edit partitions but when I save I get either a 'error 4 in drive description' or 'error 2 in drive description' and it won't let me save the partitions.

Other than removing the drive and wiping it on my PC, is there anyway to fix this while it is still in my A3000? I really don't won't to tear into this case again!

Thanks!
It sure sounds like you have some kind of hardware problem. HDToolbox should be able overwrite anything in the RDB. Try disconnecting everything in the scsi chain except the harddrive and make sure the scsi terminators on the motherbaord are plugged in, and the harddrive terminators are plugged in. You are using an external CD so the scsi terminiators on the motherboard may have been removed. The reason, you only want two terminators, one at each end of the scsi chain, nothing in the middle. The internal and external scsi are all the same scsi chain, if you are using both then you don't want the scsi terminators on the motherboard to be plugged in.