English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 11 June 2002, 01:39   #1
Shadowfire

Stuff for trade... some books too

Since its been almost 8 years since I've stopped developing for the Amiga, I've decided to try to consolidate my setup for the only thing I want to do; play games. The Amiga 3000 I have, which has no 68000, is not up to snuff to play the older things I want to play. Likewise my CDTV can't do it without more hardware, and the CD32 needs rare addons.

So I'm looking to trade to get an kickstart 1.2 or 1.3 (NOTHING later than 1.3) NTSC A2000 with 1MB (or more) of RAM, and a Flickerfixer (necessary because I want to use a 21" monitor which doesn't sync down to 15.75khz). Other expansions would be nice but not neccessary.

Most of this hardware & books have been mothballed in my parent's attic for about 5 years now. I am going to be extremely honest about the conditions of all these items. ALL HARDWARE ITEMS ARE NTSC/NORTH AMERICAN.

The first item up for trades is a CDTV unit. It includes the unit itself (in Good condition, a few scuffs, nothing ugly, missing 1 screw for the cover on the side), the remote (including battery cover, good condition), power cable, a stereo audio/video cable (already separated to reach all outputs. It is shown here playing DOTC2 which is also included. The original box is available but beat up, because the original packing is gone. There are no manuals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cdtv_dotc2.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2720  
Old 11 June 2002, 01:41   #2
Shadowfire

Here is a shot of the back, and the motherboard. I took the cover off to check for battery leaks, but I was unable to see anything that looked like a battery. I did not bother to disassemble any further than this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cdtv_back.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2721  
Old 11 June 2002, 02:00   #3
Shadowfire

Added: 6/16 - Found the April/May & June/July Amigaworld Tech Journals (and disks)

Next up: books. Includes the following items:

A3000 system schematics, AmigaBasic, A2232 Mutiport Serial Card, AmigaTerm communications Software, Brooktree Bt459 Datasheet, AmigaWorld Tech Journal (June/July 91, August/September 91, December 91, February 92, October 91, April 92... I'm not sure if that was all of them, I remember it being published somewhat sporadically), Amiga Devcon 93 Orlando Binder (complete but none of the disks since I didn't get a chance to get a copy of them at the conference), "The AmigaDOS Manual, 3rd Edition", Motorola M68020 User's Manual.

From Texas Instruments: (used to develop software on the DMI resolver which I no longer have as it died a while back) TMS340 Family Graphics Library, TMS34020, TIGA Interface, TMS34010 Assembly Language Tools, TMS34010.

From Abacus: Amiga Machine Language, Making Music on the Amiga, Amiga Tricks & Tips, Amiga Graphic Inside & Out.

From Commodore: (All are part of the Rom Kernel Reference manual sets) Libraries & Devices 1.3, Devices 2.0, Includes & Autodocs 2.0, User Interface Style Guide 2.0, Libraries 2.0.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	books.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2723  

Last edited by Shadowfire; 16 June 2002 at 19:59.
Old 11 June 2002, 02:19   #4
Shadowfire

6/15 - modified post. I got out the soldering iron and verified the external floppy drive's statuses.

Next: Hardware addons. Clockwise from upper left.

1. Haitex X-Specs 3D. Includes glasses, Amiga interface, Amiga driver disk, and manual. Assumed working (I remember them working the last time they were used, then putting them away because the Amiga just didn't have the horsepower to render anything other than very basic stereoscopic images in realtime.)

2. Zoom 14.4k modem (v32bis), no power supply. Assumed working. I have absolutely no way to test this though.

3. Aegis Sound Magic (parallel port) stereo audio 8-bit digitizer and manual. No disk (probably buried in my boxes of disks). Assumed working.

4. ECE serial port MIDI interface with passthru. Assumed working.

5. Genuine IBM 5-1/4" SSSD floppy drive. Known working. Weighs a ton.

6. M.A.S.T. Twindrive. NOT WORKING. Both floppy drive units dead. Amiga-specific electronics inside OK.

7. External drive. This is a drive I took apart to put a 2nd floppy in an expansion chassis I had for an A500. Working.

8. Commodore MPS801 - status unknown - I don't know how the hell I got this one, I don't remember ever owning it - assume NOT WORKING (because I have NO clue).

9. Citizen 120D Printer with parallel port interface - Assumed working, but damn is it old, its a 9-pin dot matrix printer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	extra hardware.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	2725  

Last edited by Shadowfire; 15 June 2002 at 19:54.
Old 11 June 2002, 02:34   #5
Shadowfire

And finally (unless I find my CD32 or more stuff...) there's an A3000 in a PC midtower case. Yes the back is definitely a hack job (it was almost impossible to find a case that had enough space for the whole A3000 motherboard, the A3000's mainboar is wider than ATX spec) There are a number of problems which I will go into more detail later.

This is the front of the case. CD-R drive (2x write/6x read, which is currently disconnected from the SCSI bus, since when it is hooked up the Amiga waits a full minute after every reset trying to read the rigiddiskblock, which doesn't exist on a CD-ROM device... the A3000 is a softkicker, too, which means it does it TWICE when you first turn it on.) Below that, floppy #1 is drive DF0: (an PC 1.4MB drive, with an Aminet cable hack, and it works fine on the Amiga with 880K disks). Below that is an old 1.44mb floppy attached to the 2386SX-25 bridgeboard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a3000_front.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	2730  
Old 11 June 2002, 02:36   #6
Shadowfire

Here is a picture of the back. All Amiga ports are accessible as well as cards in zorro slots. The keyboard & joystick/mouse ports have been brought out to the back. Power is controlled by the power switch on the power supply, not the pushbutton on front. Hard disk & power LED's are hooked up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a3000_back.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	2731  
Old 11 June 2002, 02:54   #7
Shadowfire

Finally a pic of the side.

There are some problems with the unit.

After taking it out of storage, to my disgust the batteries on both the A3000 motherboard & A2386SX bridgeboard had leaked. I clipped the batteries, washed the PCB's and resoldered new ones down. The A3000 is ok but has some clock weirdness (it may need a new clock chip to clear things up, or it may just be that I don't turn it on every day & the battery isn't getting enough charge to power the chip correctly).

6/17 edited:
The A2386SX (25mhz 3MB RAM if I remember correctly) is now verified working. My prior problem was caused by a conflict between bios settings, the VGA card, and PCPrefs settings.

Also there is an A2232 serial card (assumed working), and an ISA multifunction VGA/parallel port/IDE? port card, assumed working.

The A3000 itself was a desktop model. It has 2MB chip, 8MB fast in 4mbit static column ZIP's. It was one of the earlier models, so I'm sure it doesn't have the more recent RAMSEY/DMAC/Kickstart chips needed for some of the later Zorro-3/CPU cards. It has a disk-based kickstart and will boot either 1.3 or 2.0. It's the 25Mhz model, 68030+68882. It has a 4GB Seagate Barracuda (7200rpm) hard disk. This hard disk is the whole reason I had to put it in a tower case, the stock 135 watt A3000 power supply was simply not cutting it when dealing with the Barracuda's spinup power demands. The current PSU is a 300 watt ATX powersupply wired to "always on", with the ATX power connector removed and the A3000 power connector spliced on. Motherboard jumpers have been moved to take the "tick" signal from VBLANK instead of PSU (because the ATX PSU has no "tick" signal). I have a 4-position SCSI cable in the box, but be aware that not all of the bays can have drives in them due to the shape of the A3000's layout. It comes with keyboard & mouse. All A3000 ports function.

I'll also throw in an external self-powered SCSI CDROM enclosure, with terminator and SCSI-to-DB25 connector cable (not pictured here, the CD-R drive was originally in this enclosure).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	a3000_side.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	2732  

Last edited by Shadowfire; 18 June 2002 at 03:30.
Old 11 June 2002, 03:00   #8
Shadowfire

And one last thing... it is very much a pain in the ass (not impossible, but enough to make you think twice about it) to take the unit apart & fool around with anything inside it.
Old 14 June 2002, 13:11   #9
Shadowfire

Just to clarify I am willing to part these things out separately (to obtain separate parts of my request).
Old 14 June 2002, 14:12   #10
Shadowfire

Ok... more vintage stuff....

This is a 486SLC-25 laptop. 20MB RAM, VGA LCD. I tried to get a good shot of the display... it is a NCR 3180. The LCD display can be taken off and put on in reverse (for presentations). It has a 540mb hard disk, and a spare 180mb hard disk. There are no problems with this unit at all except for the short battery life (it is an old Nicad battery power system). It has Windows95 installed on it. It also includes AC adapter, a parallel-port ZIP-100 drive, zip drive guesting software, some ZIP disks with an older version of Wordpervert, Win95 installation files & some floppies (Win95 boot disk, Zip guesting software).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	laptop_items.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2756  
Old 14 June 2002, 14:12   #11
Shadowfire

The laptop also includes a leather Targus carrying case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	laptop_case.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	2757  
Old 14 June 2002, 16:21   #12
Big-Byte
Long time member

Big grin

How much for the carpet?
Old 14 June 2002, 20:08   #13
Amiga1992

How about you giving me a tenner and I take that ugly awful XBox you got there?

I wish I had something to trade you for that CDTV.. I DIE for a CDTV!
Old 14 June 2002, 21:49   #14
ToTalXS

Smile

How much for just the zip drive? or would you consider selling it separately?....thanks...peace

Old 15 June 2002, 01:20   #15
Shadowfire

trades, trades, I'd much rather TRADE than sell. See first message for what I'm really interested in.

and I play that ugly X-box way too much to give it up, sorry
Old 15 June 2002, 04:45   #16
Amiga1992

Can you clarify a bit the trade, Shadow? It seems to me as if you would give out all that stuff, or any of that stuff, for a flickerfixer and a 1.2 or 1.3 rom!

Can I swap, for example, a 1.2 kick for the CDTV?
Old 15 June 2002, 16:59   #17
Shadowfire

I'm not sure I understood the question, akira. Are you proposing to swap an A2000 with 1.2kickstart & flickerfixer? Or just a 1.2 ROM chip & flickerfixer? If you are proposing the former, then yes, I'd definitely give you the CDTV & a pile of accessories.

More stuff, all is known working unless otherwise noted.... MS Sidewinder Precision Pro USB/Gameport joystick (with adapter), NEW IDE Zip-100 drive (never opened), A3000 floppy drive w/ A3000 floppy cable, Afreey 50x IDE CDROM, a ProAudioSpectrum-16 type card (status UNKNOWN it was given to me when I fixed someone's laptop & I haven't bothered to disassemble my only PC with ISA slots to test it out... so assume unworking), Vivitar Compact scanner (parallel port, I had to upgrade my scanner when I went to Win2000 as this had no Win2K drivers... so this is not useful for a Win2000 or WinXP system), then a Neo-Geo Home MVS joystick modded to USB, and a Sega Saturn ASCII stick modded to USB (both internally have Logitech USB gamepad circuits which tell the system that there's 10 buttons, all controller buttons are hooked up and readable. I did this before I got my arcade cabinets, now I don't use them anymore).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	controllers.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	2760  

Last edited by Shadowfire; 15 June 2002 at 20:07.
Old 16 June 2002, 03:13   #18
Amiga1992

I read the initial post the wrong way. I didnt read the A2000 part because it wasn't in bold!