English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 January 2022, 21:34   #1
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

A special DIY quick boot ROM for emu?

Hello Amiga fans,

For space considerations I mostly emulate Amiga these days. Got a 29.5 year old Amiga 1200 equipped with a slightly younger Blizzard I will hang on to till death tho. I emulate it's customized 3.1 ClassicWB Full installation (thanks Bloodwych!) on kick 40.68 in WinUAE. The real Lady boots fast (cf on internal ide), and on emu with JIT it's often pretty much a dream. Near-instant reboots and smooth demo/gaming experience.

However... scroll mouse only works in software with native support, like DOpus but not iGame, and on emulation it's tempting to use RTG. Big windows, lotsa scrolling. It works in WB on 3.9, so I suppose mouse support has to do with the exec and workbench libs and perhaps console.dev since they're in the ROM update? SCSI v40+ has the atrocious IDE timeout even when not using uaehf.device which I should probably prefer. I have to reboot quite often. Many demo's can't stopped, demo's cause guru's and crashes, etc. So when rebooting is and especially FEELS instant... you can't part from it. 40.68 is just so much faster than all higher ROMs. I tried poking around using Remus to get a ROM that enables scroll wheel and lightning fast reboot using uaehf only to be greeted by a lot of guru's and other problems.

So... is it possible to get a system wide third mouse button using the old seemingly zero timeout scsi.dev?

And... there's also this Blizkick/Remus whatever module called IDEWait or something, it comes with source. It has timeout values, or so it seems, can they both be lowered to zero or 0.1 seconds so the community can patch all 40+ scsi.devs to be lighthing fast in emulation using Remus or MAPROM? Perhaps even faster than 40.68? Is there someone here able and willing to create such a Blizkick/Remus mod from the source online?

Would be so awesome on a Mister. It already has an instant-on feel. Now add an instant Miggy OS3.1-3.9 boot and reboot, instead of that stupid ROM looking for obsolete devices.
Old 11 January 2022, 22:03   #2
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

OT, but I've never had problems with scroll mouse in iGame, but I also use MUI 5.0. You might need to update MUI to get scroll mouse support.
Old 11 January 2022, 22:20   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwir3d View Post
scroll mouse only works in software with native support
http://aminet.net/package/util/mouse/FreeWheel

Quote:
40.68 is just so much faster than all higher ROMs.
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php...51#post1524751
Old 12 January 2022, 18:45   #4
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
OT, but I've never had problems with scroll mouse in iGame, but I also use MUI 5.0. You might need to update MUI to get scroll mouse support.
Thanks coldacid. There's no MUI in my OS39.hdf and scrolling works system-wide there. When I use 40.68+ ROM I do have a scrollwheel in WB/iGame on the same installation but the boot time suffers and other probs arise. Scrolling also works in 3.1.4 and 3.2 without MUI. Seems the solution is IN the boing bag ROM update on my OS39 CD.
Old 12 January 2022, 18:50   #5
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You bet I got that in all my WBStartup drawers Ohh... thanks a lot for that.

BTW thomas, I'm not lurking around here often and I certainly communicate far less, but you're one of the Amiga Aces around here. Do you know why there's never been 'romfixes' that fix ROMs for lighting emulation after all other wonderful things that have been achieved by the Miggy community? Now I got that near instant 40.68 JIT boot I want more. No split second black screen at all. Click the icon and poof, there's a better past.
Old 12 January 2022, 19:22   #6
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwir3d View Post
Thanks coldacid. There's no MUI in my OS39.hdf and scrolling works system-wide there. When I use 40.68+ ROM I do have a scrollwheel in WB/iGame on the same installation but the boot time suffers and other probs arise. Scrolling also works in 3.1.4 and 3.2 without MUI. Seems the solution is IN the boing bag ROM update on my OS39 CD.

If you're using iGame, MUI has to be installed somewhere. iGame won't even run without it.
Old 15 January 2022, 11:50   #7
hardwir3d
Zone Friend

I know coldacid. That was just to mention the scroll wheel works w/o MUI using 40.68+ ROMs.