Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 May 2003, 21:56   #1
frsoldier

PLatoon Dump Problem

just dumped this disk.
my crc is bb3769c2
tosec listed the game with 4C22BCB6
(Platoon (1988)(Ocean)[b].adf)
now I tried to run it in winuae, and I got the pic attached. the game seems to boot, but loops into the pic and the Platoon logo.
for you is it a original disk problem ?

Cya.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pl.gif
Views:	373
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	5136  
Old 23 May 2003, 02:29   #2
rbdgg

I tried dumping my US release of Platoon and mine would crash on boot. Probably some on disk copy protection. However, my adf was still usable by installing to the harddrive using jst install.

Old 23 May 2003, 06:00   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by rbdgg
I tried dumping my US release of Platoon and mine would crash on boot. Probably some on disk copy protection. However, my adf was still usable by installing to the harddrive using jst install.
Yeah, I have the US release, too, and it is definitely copy-protected, so a straight dump to adf is useless.
Old 23 May 2003, 09:31   #4
frsoldier

the strange thing is that the disk is not original, but cracked from another group. the disk work well on old amiga.
Maybe it could has a bad sector?
Old 23 May 2003, 10:08   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
Yeah, I have the US release, too, and it is definitely copy-protected, so a straight dump to adf is useless.
Two questions:

1. Are these versions actually different in gameplay or is it only other standard (PAL / NTSC)?
2. Does a cracked copy of the US version exist in TOSEC?
(I can't distinguish them (yet), so don't ask why I'm asking that "stupid" question )
Old 23 May 2003, 14:38   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Two questions:

1. Are these versions actually different in gameplay or is it only other standard (PAL / NTSC)?
2. Does a cracked copy of the US version exist in TOSEC?
(I can't distinguish them (yet), so don't ask why I'm asking that "stupid" question )
1. I played the original (NTSC) version when I first bought it and thought it was complete tosh. After reading a glowing review for the C-64 version in Zzap, I fired up WinUAE and gave the game another chance. I remained underwhelmed. That was the VF-Beyonders crack, which is PAL, if I recall. It looked just like I remember the US version, but last time I looked at my original was like 1990, so don't quote me. I'd guess no difference other than packaging and PAL/NTSC.

2. That I don't know. Most US versions didn't get cracked and instead, NTSC patches were released to make the PAL versions work proper on NTSC boxes. TOSEC has two additional versions, [cr 68 Darc], which is PAL, and a [b] version, which I don't have. Maybe the [b] is the US release and all it needs is to be booted in NTSC? If you have that one, give it a spin.
Old 23 May 2003, 14:47   #7
frsoldier

my Amiga is PAL. so disk/crack is PAL.
Old 23 May 2003, 15:56   #8
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Stick out tongue

Quote:
1. I played the original (NTSC) version when I first bought it and thought it was complete tosh. After reading a glowing review for the C-64 version in Zzap, I fired up WinUAE and gave the game another chance. I remained underwhelmed. That was the VF-Beyonders crack, which is PAL, if I recall. It looked just like I remember the US version, but last time I looked at my original was like 1990, so don't quote me. I'd guess no difference other than packaging and PAL/NTSC.

Twist, you clown, play the C64 version instead!!
Old 23 May 2003, 17:36   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
TOSEC has two additional versions, [cr 68 Darc], which is PAL, and a [b] version, which I don't have. Maybe the [b] is the US release and all it needs is to be booted in NTSC? If you have that one, give it a spin.
Yeah, thanks for the hint.
[b] version ZONEd.

[edit] Hah, I just LOVE hex editors!
This puppy emerged as a QUARTEX crack! I could also read 'CONVERSION BY CHOICE' at offset 0x1270a, but it much rather seems the case that this is a port from another computer system than a PAL-fixed NTSC version!

Last edited by andreas; 23 May 2003 at 17:48.
Old 24 May 2003, 03:37   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@7-Zark-7
Hehehe...yeah, I thought of that, but I can't imagine anything being different enough to make it a good game. Unless the enemy attacks were better implemented (it just seems so random and so easy to get killed unavoidably). The graphics were all samey and bland, there was nothing that gave me that "just one more go" feeling. Instead, it was more like "how much longer before I give up and reboot". So if the C-64 version can improve those flaws (and whatever other things I am forgetting), then perhaps I will give it a go.

@Andreas
Coolish, thanks for the fill. Will give it a (quick) once over after work. Although I am a little confused on your addendum...is it a Quartex crack? And I believe the C-64 version was the original source machine if I remember my history accurately.

They should have made a videogame of JFK.
Old 24 May 2003, 23:21   #11
andreas
Zone Friend

Confused? The disk is DEFINITELY a Quartex crack. Just look at the offset I mentioned above and go a few lines back. It should utterly pop into your eye