English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 May 2022, 15:00   #1
kad3t

Top 10 Best VS and Tournament Fighting Games on Amiga

Hey,

Have a look at my take on the very best 10 Commodore Amiga's VS and Tournament Fighting Games. There will be a separate video for walking beat 'em ups, so none of these here. I'm confident that many of the titles on the list are quite obvious choices to most Amiga players. But I'd risk saying that you wouldn't expect one or two of these. Especially the first spot may be considered an unexpected choice...

Anyway, let me know what you think and if possible, enjoy the video.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 May 2022, 15:53   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

What, no Pit Fighter!?!?

Good, because ho boy that game was a turd Speaking of Primal Rage, it's quite interesting to see the history behind that game. I got a new found respect for it afterwards. I did enjoy the PC version quite a bit.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 02 May 2022, 17:57   #3
Weasel Fierce

Will be watching this over lunch today, nice work man.

While tournament fighters were not our main jam, the ones we played the most back in the day were Mortal Kombat 2, Body Blows Galactic and a bit of Street Fighter 2.

In later years, I played a fair bit of Fighting Spirit.

Will be interested to see what surprises are on your list
Old 02 May 2022, 19:58   #4
Anubis
Retro Gamer

When I read title, it was like - were there more than 10 fighting games on Amiga. Somehow 10 sounds a lot.

Nice list...
Old 03 May 2022, 14:43   #5
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
What, no Pit Fighter!?!?

Good, because ho boy that game was a turd Speaking of Primal Rage, it's quite interesting to see the history behind that game. I got a new found respect for it afterwards. I did enjoy the PC version quite a bit.

[ Show youtube player ]
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Pit Fighter port that was any good. Truth be told, arcade original wasn't anything special either.

And Primal Rage's PC port was very close to arcade original, so had to be better. But I kinda always hated the way the game played and moves were executed. But that's, I suppose, is on me and not the game itself.
Old 03 May 2022, 14:49   #6
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Will be watching this over lunch today, nice work man.

While tournament fighters were not our main jam, the ones we played the most back in the day were Mortal Kombat 2, Body Blows Galactic and a bit of Street Fighter 2.

In later years, I played a fair bit of Fighting Spirit.

Will be interested to see what surprises are on your list
I remember when back in the day a friend living near by told me to come over as he had Mortal Kombat II. I never knew first part was on the Amiga either and thought that he was taking a pi**. But when I got there and saw it in action... I stayed for like 12 hours straight and didn't mind a second of what must've been hundreds of disk swaps over the hours. We played it to death in vs.

And as for the surprise, I just think that most people would not see the first spot coming. It's not what most would've picked but it's a title that when given a chance shines above all other.
Old 03 May 2022, 14:50   #7
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
When I read title, it was like - were there more than 10 fighting games on Amiga. Somehow 10 sounds a lot.

Nice list...
Yeah, I and there are quite a few more actually. I'd say there are probably close to 40-ish but most (not all) not shown in the video were not great or pretty simple.
Old 03 May 2022, 15:10   #8
Seiya

for me, the best Figthing game on Amiga for great graphics, sounds and especially gameplay are: Shadow Fighter, Street Fighter II: The New Challengers and also Fighting Spirits.

The other games are very technically good, but very poor gameplay and absurd combos
Old 03 May 2022, 15:47   #9
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I heard using Disk Doctor on Pit fighter improves it. Better try Street Fighter 1 much better.
Old 03 May 2022, 16:04   #10
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Personally I would have had Shadow Fighter at number 2 and RISE at the number 1 spot.
Old 03 May 2022, 19:15   #11
dreadnought

I much prefer Pit Fighter to most of the established 2D fighters. It's dumb and somewhat clunky, but still fun. Probably because a) it's more of a brawler really, and I love this genre b) it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. The Amiga port is actually quite decent.

If I had to pick one from the "proper" fighters it'd be Body Blows, I guess. This game was at least made for Amiga and is actually fun even with that silly curse of a one-button joystick present (though I haven't tried all of these games so maybe there are other better ones).

I had a (very) brief MK phase, but it was more just going on with the crazy hype, and after a short while I got tired of trying to pull the ridiculous combos and never bothered with it since.
Old 03 May 2022, 19:48   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

I loved Mortal Kombat on arcade and on amiga.

MK2 was really too hard for me with CPU opponent (arcade and amiga...)
Old 04 May 2022, 02:26   #13
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
for me, the best Figthing game on Amiga for great graphics, sounds and especially gameplay are: Shadow Fighter, Street Fighter II: The New Challengers and also Fighting Spirits.

The other games are very technically good, but very poor gameplay and absurd combos
Now, that's an excellent trio. Each game great for something different, each very good in its own way.
Old 04 May 2022, 02:27   #14
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
I heard using Disk Doctor on Pit fighter improves it. Better try Street Fighter 1 much better.
Street Fighter 1... Oh my days, now that was a stinker.
Old 04 May 2022, 02:29   #15
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I loved Mortal Kombat on arcade and on amiga.

There's a very interesting pseudo documentary on YouTube about how Mortal Kombat was badly designed from ground up as it was cheating. It read players inputs and reacted before the animation frames even had a chance to complete playing out. Something that player's character couldn't do. That's why it was and still is not a very good game against a CPU but an amazing one against a friend... or someone with whom friendship you'd like to end.
Old 04 May 2022, 05:11   #16
Weasel Fierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad3t View Post
I remember when back in the day a friend living near by told me to come over as he had Mortal Kombat II. I never knew first part was on the Amiga either and thought that he was taking a pi**. But when I got there and saw it in action... I stayed for like 12 hours straight and didn't mind a second of what must've been hundreds of disk swaps over the hours. We played it to death in vs.

And as for the surprise, I just think that most people would not see the first spot coming. It's not what most would've picked but it's a title that when given a chance shines above all other.
Yeah, for a couple months, every weekend me and a friend would spend all night at his place just playing MK2 and Transplant. Amazing stuff.
Old 04 May 2022, 17:16   #17
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I don't like to use the word "hard" there. MK2 and MK3 are huge cheaters.
Old 05 May 2022, 19:16   #18
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel Fierce View Post
Yeah, for a couple months, every weekend me and a friend would spend all night at his place just playing MK2 and Transplant. Amazing stuff.
And these days everything's played online and couch competitions as back then are a rarity.

That's why, despite being in our late 30's and early 40's, my best friend and I make sure to meet at least once a week on a weekend to play either board games ore old computer/console classics in couch-vs/couch-coop style. With a nice whiskey on a side, it's a blast and something that online play can never replace really.
Old 06 May 2022, 09:45   #19
vulture

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post

Old 06 May 2022, 18:51   #20
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

good video.