English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 April 2022, 19:12   #81
Havie

Got mine yesterday and had a bit of play. As others have said - looks lovely and gamepad/mouse look good too.

My main concern is that there seems to be emulation lag- all the games work but I find that Pinball Dreams has a definite lag on the flippers (always seems the case with emulation) and wouldn't have expected this. Mind you, haven't got round to trying WhdLoad games yet so can't access the advanced options as these could help?
Old 10 April 2022, 19:27   #82
Reido

So... I had the exact same issue with the lag on pinball Dreams, and noticeable on all others. Was very disappointed. I had set it up on my parents TV cos the mini had been delivered there. When I brought it home and fired it up the lag was gone completely. Can't explain it but was obviously very happy!!
Old 10 April 2022, 20:50   #83
Havie

Sounds like a telly issue then! Will try the bedroom Samsung and report back.
Old 10 April 2022, 21:01   #84
Reido

Yep I presume that's the issue, hopefully you're sorted!
Old 10 April 2022, 21:31   #85
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Just to let people know, beta testing of next update for Amiga Mini is about to happen.

Latest WHDLoad database will be added.

Testing of different and the best way to activate Virtual Keyboard for all WHDLoad installs.

Once the update has passed beta, then it will be published on Retro Games website.

If you can think of any other issues, sound off and details will be passed on.
Old 10 April 2022, 21:49   #86
Amigajay

Pasted these on the mini FB page, but if they are getting passed on here:

Option to save and continue, currently when you save a game you have to reload that save file to continue what you were playing!

More advanced options easy to change for end user for cpu cache on/off, cpu speed type 000/020 etc. Games like F/A18 and Vroom/F1 are running way too fast, none of the available options solve that issue.

Ability to screen resize when a game is live on screen (or use quick snapshot if technicalities come into it. Even a basic keep aspect ratio resizer would be better than nothing. The current automatic resizer is good for alot of games, but on lots of occasions it crops parts of some games top and/or bottom, having to manually adjust ‘blind’ and go back into a game dozens of times is cumbersome.

Larger folder game limit.
Old 10 April 2022, 22:09   #87
Superman

Nice to hear that the issues are being addressed fairly quickly.
Old 10 April 2022, 22:24   #88
mrv2k

I'm not sure on the licencing, but to get the best compatability with WHDLoad installs, there needs to be all the WHDLoad kickstarts in the Devs/kickstarts folder in the boot-data.zip file (if the deal is right with Cloanto). If these could be supplied or a wiki on how to install them is made, it would fix a lot of problems.

Also, if you download the latest version of Amiberry from the github page, you can already get an updated whdboot folder with the latest database.
Old 10 April 2022, 22:42   #89
CFou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Just to let people know, beta testing of next update for Amiga Mini is about to happen.

Latest WHDLoad database will be added.

Testing of different and the best way to activate Virtual Keyboard for all WHDLoad installs.

Once the update has passed beta, then it will be published on Retro Games website.

If you can think of any other issues, sound off and details will be passed on.
Hi Ian,
I dream of a 4:3 option for old CRT 4/3 VGA monitor
Old 10 April 2022, 23:29   #90
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Sounds like a telly issue then! Will try the bedroom Samsung and report back.
Yep - my 4k Panasonic was rubbish but the old not quite 4:3 Polaroid for my retro consoles works a treat with no lag. Loving the mini and just beat Little Hav at a game of Worms!
Old 11 April 2022, 09:02   #91
gizmomelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reido View Post
Can you remap joypad for Whdload games that you add via the USB stick?
yes.
Old 11 April 2022, 09:04   #92
gizmomelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivam View Post
I followed your guide but nothing seems to work. Just black screen
updated directions from the A500 facebook group:

OK, here my small tutorial to get your HDF hardfile running on your A500.
The HDF hardfile will be read & write so Workbench works.
The cropped screen was fixed, thanks Perifractic for the tips.
Let's go...
1. Put the THEA500 WHDLoad package on your USB stick (use the version from Retrogames, because that has the info of the bonusgame in the whdload_db.xml).
2. Put the Bonus USB games pack with Citadel on your USB stick.
3. Put your hardfile on the USB stick. You can create one with WinUAE on your PC.
4. Download my UAE config file from https://t.ly/AGsf
5. Copy my UAE config file to your USB stick. The *_ol.uae needs to be in the directory together with the Citadel_v1.3.lha game.
5. Load the game in you A500, the Amiberry configuration menu will now show.
6. Go to Hard drives/CD and delete every device (use a USB keyboard to navigate).
7. Choose Add Hardfile and change the path to mnt (this is your USB stick) and navigate to your hardfile.
8. Press OK and the chosen hardfile will become DH0:
8a. If you wish you can make a folder on your USB stick with Amiga software and add it. This will become DH1:
9. Press Esc on your USB keyboard to run the hardfile.
10. Press Home on your joypad and make a savepoint.
11. Now you can use the savepoint to start your hardfile. The Amiberry configuration menu will show up everytime, but just press Esc on your USB keyboard.
If you would like to enter the Amiberry configuration when you are in emulation press F12.
Please feel free to comment if you have issues or when you have additions or inventions.

the big thing is getting into the amiberry config via the save states.. there you have finer control over the blitter and other chipset emulation, as well as cpu speed etc. so that might be what is needed to get Barbarian, Jim Power, Battle Isle etc. all working.
Old 11 April 2022, 10:45   #93
gizmomelb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
More advanced options easy to change for end user for cpu cache on/off, cpu speed type 000/020 etc. Games like F/A18 and Vroom/F1 are running way too fast, none of the available options solve that issue.
make a save state for the game and then look on the stick for the *_ol.uae file (* being the filename of the .lha ) and edit the file, add any of these settings (and change to what you want) after the <hardware> entry:

comp_fpu=false
cpu_speed=max
cpu_throttle=0.0
cpu_type=68020
cpu_model=68030
cpu_compatible=true
Old 11 April 2022, 11:00   #94
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb View Post
make a save state for the game and then look on the stick for the *_ol.uae file (* being the filename of the .lha ) and edit the file, add any of these settings (and change to what you want) after the <hardware> entry:

comp_fpu=false
cpu_speed=max
cpu_throttle=0.0
cpu_type=68020
cpu_model=68030
cpu_compatible=true
Hi, thanks, but i know its possible manually, i just want them to add easy options for the end user in the advanced settings.

Also not related to the above which they could add to an update.

When loading games from usb, currently to load a saved game you have to load the game, then come out and then load the save. A better option would put the save states for each game in their own menu settings, so once you a highlight a game on the usb, go into the settings and select a save state to load.

Last edited by Amigajay; 11 April 2022 at 11:06.
Old 11 April 2022, 12:39   #95
ransom1122

I got it working, do you have to remap the Retro Games LTD THEController in input 1 after launching ADF's or HDF's. I cant seem to get the controller to work even when gamepad is set to port 1 as default/joystick\cd32 or gamepad?
Old 11 April 2022, 13:17   #96
Alpha One

Any tips what to add to the database file to play newer titles like ReshootR, Worthy and so on? I can lha the gamedirectories but I am overstrained when it comes to implementing them in the xml file. :-( ReshootR e.g. is included but only as demo.
Old 11 April 2022, 14:56   #97
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Yep - my 4k Panasonic was rubbish but the old not quite 4:3 Polaroid for my retro consoles works a treat with no lag. Loving the mini and just beat Little Hav at a game of Worms!
... so the TV (or monitor) you plug it into dictates how responsive the controls are?

That sounds like kind of an issue.
Old 11 April 2022, 15:02   #98
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
... so the TV (or monitor) you plug it into dictates how responsive the controls are?

That sounds like kind of an issue.
No - it's to do with modern TVs and how they process hdmi signals. That's wht TVs have a Games Mode which basically turns all the processing off as this reducing the latency. Old LCds don't do processing so that's why they can often work better.

After some research, discovered that my Panasonic has Games Mode but only becomes available if a console is connected. So turns on automatically for the PS5 - need to retry the mini and see if I can turn it on manually.
Old 11 April 2022, 15:11   #99
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
I tried my xbox one S controller, and although it vibrated on connection I got no response from the controller with the mini.

Hope they have a forum or some way of reporting problems so they can fix in future updates.
Most controllers can be connected using a Mayflash Magic NS for Switch key and have the key flash yellow. I used a PS classic controller as well as a Hori RAP IV arcade stick this way. What also works is the orange brick from 8bitdo and you can wirelessly connect a dualshock 4. Or use an 8bitdo arcade stick and wirelessly connect using the grey brick that comes with the stick. When connecting a new controller it is best to turn off the A500 mini first to ensure no glitches.
Old 11 April 2022, 16:10   #100
str0m

As Havie says above, you must look for Game Mode or something similar. My ~3 year old Samsung adds about half a second lag if I don't enable it, I thought my Xbox was broken the first time I plugged it in back then! Once set mine seems to remember it for the input ports.

Not sure if it's the same with this but the Taito Egret and to a lesser extent the Sega Astro City can run a bit slower or have issues if you use a low powere USB supply