English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 17 May 2022, 02:47   #1
oldschool

Dock icons wrong palette after upgrading from 3.9 to 3.2.1

I upgraded a 3.9 installation (on WinUAE with 32bit RTG) to 3.2.1 and I was glad to see it left the dock the way it was before. Unfortunately the dock icons all have the wrong palette or something, the colors are messed up. Is there a way to fix this?

I believe this is AmiDock that's installed. The developer's website doesn't have any downloads or newer versions that I can tell. Should I switch to a different dock?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amidock.png
Views:	112
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	75596  
Old 17 May 2022, 08:15   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

Best not to mix the two OSs, you will encounter other problems in addition to this.

OS 3.2.1 is an update to OS 3.1 and is not indicated to update OS 3.9
Old 17 May 2022, 10:34   #3
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
I believe this is AmiDock that's installed. The developer's website doesn't have any downloads or newer versions that I can tell. Should I switch to a different dock?
That doesn't look like AmiDock to me - have a look in WBStartup in your System partition and see if there is a dock app in there?

AmiDock usually has a small button to allow access to menus, and no separators between icons, like the following:
(note, the separators here are just an icon that does nothing)

I'm not sure why the icons are messed up palette wise, are the originals in the corresponding folders displaying properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Best not to mix the two OSs, you will encounter other problems in addition to this.

OS 3.2.1 is an update to OS 3.1 and is not indicated to update OS 3.9
I disagree, I went 3.9 -> 3.1.4 -> 3.1.4.1 -> 3.2 -> 3.2.1 and my system is working fine.

If you take your time it can be done and can work well
Old 17 May 2022, 13:58   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post

It can be done but it is not an easy task, there are native OS3.9 Applications that cannot work well, for example you lose the convenience of sizing GUIs, local files are not compatible, AfA OS extension is not compatible and many other things, mixes are never a good solution.

Menu that is being used by the "oldschool" user and WBDock

@oldschool

WBDock offers several skins and also supports DualPNG Icons, see my screenshot !

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 27 May 2022 at 21:30.
Old 17 May 2022, 20:26   #5
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
I believe this is AmiDock that's installed.
No, it's not. It looks very much like the ToolManager bar from Amiga Forever.

Does this happen always? I've seen this happen when I change Palette prefs or if the bar is iconified and re-opened. Normally it's fixed by stopping ToolManager and starting it again. Or by a reboot.

Anyway, WBDock has a ToolManager style which imitates this Amiga Forever look. It does not use ToolManager brush images, though. You have to drag & drop the original icons to the dock.
Old 19 May 2022, 03:33   #6
oldschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
No, it's not. It looks very much like the ToolManager bar from Amiga Forever.

Does this happen always? I've seen this happen when I change Palette prefs or if the bar is iconified and re-opened. Normally it's fixed by stopping ToolManager and starting it again. Or by a reboot.

Anyway, WBDock has a ToolManager style which imitates this Amiga Forever look. It does not use ToolManager brush images, though. You have to drag & drop the original icons to the dock.
Ahah, googling "Amiga dock" and "Amiga 3.9 dock" didn't provide a clear answer to what it is (looked at a bunch of results on google images etc.) and I saw that AmiDock was apparently included with 3.9. This is indeed from Amiga Forever - it's the default dock. It does happen always. Where are the brush images located, I don't see it in the ToolManager prefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM
It can be done but it is not an easy task, there are native OS3.9 Applications that cannot work well, for example you lose the convenience of sizing GUIs, local files are not compatible, AfA OS extension is not compatible and many other things, mixes are never a good solution.

Menu that is being used by the "oldschool" user and WBDock

@oldschool

WBDock offers several skins and also supports DualPNG Icons, see my screenshot !
I will try a fresh 3.2 installation, it's easy to try in WinUAE without losing what I've already made. I haven't run into any problems but I haven't done much with 3.2.1 so maybe I better switch over before I build much of an installation. I wanted to keep the extra programs that came with Amiga Forever. I will try WBDock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon
That doesn't look like AmiDock to me - have a look in WBStartup in your System partition and see if there is a dock app in there?

AmiDock usually has a small button to allow access to menus, and no separators between icons, like the following:
(note, the separators here are just an icon that does nothing)

I'm not sure why the icons are messed up palette wise, are the originals in the corresponding folders displaying properly?

I disagree, I went 3.9 -> 3.1.4 -> 3.1.4.1 -> 3.2 -> 3.2.1 and my system is working fine.

WBStartup did not have a dock program, not with an icon and I checked with Directory Opus to make sure there wasn't one without an icon. I'm not sure how to find the original locations of the icons. The prefs for ToolManger don't list an icon for each so like Clown.pic I have no idea where it got the icon. The icon in the Directory Opus folder is the same but without the messed up palette.

I went 3.9 (Amiga Forever) -> 3.2 -> 3.2.1 and it seems to be working ok aside from the dock. I'm going to try WBDock.

It seems like my other icons (the ones in WB that are working correctly) have a lot of dithering but I selected to install GlowIcons and have the quality set to best in WorkBench prefs. I'm not sure if it is normal or not, it looks a little worse than other people's screenshots but I might be mistaken about that.

edit: I found the ToolManager icons, they are ".anbr" in the ToolManager folder. It is in the prefs, I didn't see the "Object Type" option at the top. The display correctly when I open them from Directory Opus, although the program that opens them (whatever it may be) is going to a chipset graphics mode rather than RTG. ToolManager was also in the WBStartup folder as one might assume. I am just getting back into Workbench after many years so it is all a little foreign to me still.

Last edited by oldschool; 19 May 2022 at 09:00.
Old 19 May 2022, 09:47   #7
thomas

Here is a simple WBDock config to replace the tool dock you have now.

Drag the WBDock icon to Sys:Utilities. Move ToolManager out of Sys:WBStartup and put the TOOLDOCK icon in there instead. Then stop ToolManager and run TOOLDOCK. Or just reboot.

The two icons Lha->RAM and Clown don't work the same yet. I can work on that if you need them.
Attached Files
File Type: lha tooldock.lha (60.8 KB, 26 views)