English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 24 July 2015, 20:41   #1
dex
Eat Electric Death

Hooooo Hired Guns - full walkthrough or guide book?

Was there ever a full walkthrough for Hired Guns? Everything you can find on the net explains that the game is not that linear and can get quite complex at times so most solutions or FAQs provide basic and advanced tips/hints at most.

Was there ever a guidebook like for the Eye of the Beholder series? Is there any "complete" FAQ on the net? Or does anyone remember a walkthrough in one of the magazines at that time?

...and yeah basically I'm asking because I so love the game but never quite finished it. Actually I am somewhat intimidated of its size and difficulty - what if I make a mistake early on which cannot be undone later? Like not getting something, a char gets killed etc. Maybe I worry too much about that, though - but who knows
Old 24 July 2015, 21:00   #2
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I do not remember I would meet any complete walkthrough anywhere, but if you play according some basic rules, you will succeed. One of the best possibilities the game offer is saving to a RAM disk. So save your position frequently into it, then save it to the disk every level completed and it should allow you to complete the whole game. If possible, take a friend to participate, two player cooperative game is the best experience you can get. We completed HG even in thee players mode, but 2pls is imo much better.
Old 24 July 2015, 22:14   #3
dex
Eat Electric Death

How difficult is it (in your opinion), you know I play through Dark Souls or Bloodborne but these games are nothing compared to some Amiga games I played back in the day Can you actually mess up your game in Hired Guns if you don't do certain things in a map? Do all the items carry over always? Will the player be at a disadvantage if not all items are found in a maze before going to the next and so on?
Old 24 July 2015, 22:25   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

you can watch a longplay on [ Show youtube player ]
Old 24 July 2015, 22:42   #5
dex
Eat Electric Death

Thanks Arnie, it's a bit difficult to play it through while constantly switching to the playthrough and back. Also you have to pause quite a lot and can easily get confused where you were etc. (in that kind of dungeon crawler anyway). Still, a good way to get some hints on riddles etc. I wish I had something like that in plain text form...
Old 24 July 2015, 23:11   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Most important is a good backpack management. Carry only the ammo needed for weapons you have, sort medikits, guns, grenades etc. in order, always be sure to have a map module, always have both robots in your party (they can carry much more than humans, are not vulnerable to poisons, can operate under water). It is always possible to restart level when you do something wrong, but this doesnt happen so often. On the other hand - if you are HG noob, you will die relativelly often, so really use that ramdisk saving frequently.
Old 24 July 2015, 23:38   #7
dex
Eat Electric Death

Not a problem with getting killed often - just with being unable to finish the game because I screwed up in the second maze I visited or something That won't actually happen... or is it possible?
Old 25 July 2015, 00:02   #8
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Consult a map. The goal is always the same - locate the exit. Except four special levels, where it is find a nuclear device AND locate the exit (okay, except very last level, where all the nuclear devices have to be used).

Between you and the exit are: enemies, locked doors, teleports, traps, switches. Deal with it and you will win

First level is almost a tutorial and you should understand the whole game mechanics here. Use RMB to collect items and reload / recharge wepons. LMB for movement, fire / use items and access map, backpack, statistics etc.

Sometimes it is a real fun to set a trap to enemies - using mines or sentry guns, especially together with an elevator
Old 25 July 2015, 12:34   #9
dex
Eat Electric Death

Alright, giving it another go soon, guess it will work out just fine! Thank you
Old 25 July 2015, 22:20   #10
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I am not a Hired Guns expert, but it is my most beloved game ever, so if you have any question, feel free to ask.
Old 26 July 2015, 10:12   #11
Cherno

When I first played through the campaign a few years ago I downloaded all the maps as GIFs and opened each layer seperately in Photoshop. Some levels can get very confusing with all the stairs and mazes, so it's good to have a reference... The temple is one of the worst in that regard, IIRC.

The Hired Guns Operations Center has all the maps.

Some of the puzzles are quite difficult; whenever a block is moved, you have to plane beforehand where it will go, and what to do with any other blocks in the vincinity, so a passage, bridge or whatever is created. This is the main thing that can screw up your game: Making blocks fall into stairscases and narrow passages so they block the way or are in the wrong place.

Last edited by Cherno; 26 July 2015 at 10:20.