English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 28 November 2021, 18:36   #41
Thom87
LameUser

Crash on Linux

Hi Frode,

I've tried to run FS-UAE-Launcher 3.1.63 on Manjaro Linux KDE and it crashes. Same happens with version 4, however 3.0.5 installed from repositories works just fine.
It's set-up as portable (not 100% sure if file structure is ok so file list attached).
Attached crash log I getting from console and some files find in ~/.cache.
Logs shows some res files missing and some problem with fonts.

Can you advise how to fix this?

EDIT: Just installed manually FS-UAE-Launcher 3.1.46 & FS-UAE 3.1.53 from Arch Linux repos, those work too just fine.

Regards
Thom
Attached Files
File Type: 7z Logs.7z (18.1 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by Thom87; 28 November 2021 at 20:19.
Old 29 November 2021, 10:50   #42
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom87 View Post
I've tried to run FS-UAE-Launcher 3.1.63 on Manjaro Linux KDE and it crashes.
Thanks for the feedback! I managed to reproduce on a virtual machine with Manjaro here . It does seem to be an issue with fontconfig (or freetype), because it worked if I simply deleted these two bundled libraries. I'll investigate further to figure out what's the best way to deal with this.
Old 29 November 2021, 15:19   #43
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I managed to reproduce on a virtual machine with Manjaro here . It does seem to be an issue with fontconfig (or freetype), because it worked if I simply deleted these two bundled libraries. I'll investigate further to figure out what's the best way to deal with this.
Should be fixed in 3.1.64. I've dropped
libfontconfig.so.1
and
libfreetype.so.6
from the distribution. I've also removed Qt 5's GTK platform integration which caused crashes on some Linux distros.
Old 29 November 2021, 20:09   #44
fstarred

I'm on a i7 dell with win 10 installed. When I run launcher, display resolution of the window interface looks messy, with size that is bigger than screen resolution. This doesn't happen on fa 3.0.5
Old 29 November 2021, 20:57   #45
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarred View Post
I'm on a i7 dell with win 10 installed. When I run launcher, display resolution of the window interface looks messy, with size that is bigger than screen resolution. This doesn't happen on fa 3.0.5
Pictures please
Old 30 November 2021, 11:41   #46
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Should be fixed in 3.1.64. I've dropped
libfontconfig.so.1
and
libfreetype.so.6
from the distribution. I've also removed Qt 5's GTK platform integration which caused crashes on some Linux distros.
I forgot to mention: Since some files are removed in this update, it is important to not upgrade by simply extracting the new version over the old. You should delete the old version first and then extract the new version.
Old 30 November 2021, 18:36   #47
fstarred

Quote:
Pictures please

Here they are

EDIT
normal.jpg is from 3.0.5, so you can better compare with the newer version
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	huge.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	73973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	73974   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	73975  
Old 01 December 2021, 19:34   #48
fstarred

Another question: why don't make portable version as the standard version? I think that using documents folder in windows by default is not really wise.
Thanks for your work
Old 01 December 2021, 22:11   #49
Thom87
LameUser

Quote:
I forgot to mention: Since some files are removed in this update, it is important to not upgrade by simply extracting the new version over the old. You should delete the old version first and then extract the new version.
At first I've tried extracted/portable version while 3.0.5 was installed from repository but now just downloaded packages from Arch Linux and installed them manually using package manager (pacman -U fs-use*) on Manjaro - I know this is not way it should be done but works.
Old 02 December 2021, 21:54   #50
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Here they are ... normal.jpg is from 3.0.5, so you can better compare with the newer version
It looks like the Launcher interface is using 2x (or something like that) scaling. Maybe Qt 5.15 thinks it is running on a HDPI (high-DPI) display. What is your display setting in Windows with regards to scaling? Is it 100% or something else? Do you have more than one monitor connected, and is one of them an HDPI display?

Quote:
Another question: why don't make portable version as the standard version? I think that using documents folder in windows by default is not really wise.
Thanks for your work
The default is changing for FS-UAE 4. The default is planned to become
$HOME/FS-UAE
. Portable version as default could also be an alternative.
Old 03 December 2021, 21:08   #51
fstarred

Quote:
It looks like the Launcher interface is using 2x (or something like that) scaling. Maybe Qt 5.15 thinks it is running on a HDPI (high-DPI) display. What is your display setting in Windows with regards to scaling? Is it 100% or something else? Do you have more than one monitor connected, and is one of them an HDPI display?
Actually I'm just using the laptop with no external monitor connected, however the issue is that I'm using 150% text size scaled, which is the RECOMMENDED settings (I'd have very small text instead).

Quote:
The default is changing for FS-UAE 4. The default is planned to become
$HOME/FS-UAE
. Portable version as default could also be an alternative.
Well, actually Windows is organized in a different way from Unix.. personally I hate to use C: (which is the default drive for user's home), so this is the reason I prefer the portable package.
Probably my favourite app for this behavior is MAME; it behaves like a portable app, and if you want to externalize ini you have just to set to another ini file.

Last edited by fstarred; 03 December 2021 at 21:28.
Old 05 December 2021, 16:33   #52
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Actually I'm just using the laptop with no external monitor connected, however the issue is that I'm using 150% text size scaled, which is the RECOMMENDED settings (I'd have very small text instead).
I can confirm that the scaling is wrong on 150%. It seems that the UI it scales to 200% instead of 150% (perhaps only integer scaling works correctly). I'll need to investigate further. I created a GitHub issue to track the progress: https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/fs-u...her/issues/138. If you have an account, please consider subscribing to the issue to get updates on it!
Old 19 December 2021, 15:22   #53
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

I've published FS-UAE & Launcher 3.1.66 -> https://fs-uae.net/download

Main changed are:
  • Updated bundled SDL version to 2.0.18
  • Updated controller mappings

In particular, this should fix an issue with mouse cursor confinement on Windows, but the update to SDL 2.0.18 will probably bring with it other improvements as well, including improved controller support. Hopefully without introducing any issues.
Old 02 January 2022, 16:35   #54
OlafSch

Quote:
I've published FS-UAE & Launcher 3.1.66 -> https://fs-uae.net/download

Main changed are:
  • Updated bundled SDL version to 2.0.18
  • Updated controller mappings

In particular, this should fix an issue with mouse cursor confinement on Windows, but the update to SDL 2.0.18 will probably bring with it other improvements as well, including improved controller support. Hopefully without introducing any issues.
hi

thanks for your work

I just have one question... I want to run Aros Vision on it but it does not work (at least not with JIT). What have I to do? Or have to wait on future version 4?

Thanks for answering
Old 08 January 2022, 11:09   #55
fstarred

Just a dumb question: why homepage mention the latest release as 3.0.5 ?
Old 17 January 2022, 15:30   #56
urban

Fantastic edition of the emulator after trying again first time in a while, nice work guys. Unfortunately there does seem to be a significant issue with XBOX controller recognition which does appear to be version specific. Tried on two different systems one latest MAC OS Apple Silicon and the other standard high spec PC with windows 11. In both cases tried with 3 different generations of XBOX controller (XBOX one x2 and a 360) I tried both wired and wireless and in all cases none of them are recognised by FS-UAE. Managed to get it working in the end by simply finding a slightly older version of the emulator online where all the controllers were immediately recognised with no other action required. As a side note would be very handy and appreciated to have access to the official previous emulator versions for testing in situations like this.
Old 28 January 2022, 21:33   #57
infy

Hi, I have downloaded the latest version of FS UAE and the launcher:

FS-UAE_3.1.66_Windows_x86-64.zip
FS-UAE-Launcher_3.1.68_Windows_x86-64.zip

I have extracted them as per instructions.
When I attempt to run fs-uae-launcher.exe I get this error:

An error occurred starting FS-UAE Launcher:

ValueError('not enough values to unpack (expected 2, got 1)')

FS-UAE Launcher cannot start because of this.

then I click OK and:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "launcher\apps\fs_uae_launcher.py", line 29, in app_main
File "launcher\launcherapp.py", line 76, in start
File "launcher\ui\launcherwindow.py", line 73, in open
File "fsui\__init__.py", line 59, in open_window_instance
File "launcher\ui\launcherwindow.py", line 173, in __init__
File "launcher\ui\launcherwindow.py", line 476, in create_column
File "launcher\ui\launcherwindow.py", line 547, in add_column_content
File "launcher\ui\launcherwindow.py", line 692, in add_page
File "launcher\panels\mainpanel.py", line 19, in __init__
File "launcher\ui\config\InputGroup.py", line 59, in __init__
File "launcher\ui\config\InputSelector.py", line 85, in __init__
File "launcher\ui\config\InputSelector.py", line 116, in rebuild_device_list
File "launcher\devicemanager.py", line 173, in get_joystick_names
File "launcher\devicemanager.py", line 74, in init
File "launcher\devicemanager.py", line 137, in init_fsuae
ValueError: not enough values to unpack (expected 2, got 1)

I'm running a fresh install of Windows 11.

Any ideas why it wont run? I'm desperate to relive my Amiga days. It used to work for me on an old version of FS-UAE on a Windows 10 machine but havn't managed to get any joy with new installs since..

Please help!

Ben
Old 29 January 2022, 12:25   #58
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
hi thanks for your work

I just have one question... I want to run Aros Vision on it but it does not work (at least not with JIT). What have I to do? Or have to wait on future version 4?
Probably yes, but you don't have to wait until v4 has completely replaced v3. You can test the prerelease builds of v4 already now and let me know if any of the missing features are essential to you.

Quote:
Just a dumb question: why homepage mention the latest release as 3.0.5 ?
A combination of different reasons (none very good though). FS-UAE and the Launcher are built and released separately now, I have not worked out fully how to communicate and work with that. But definitively should fix the front page somehow. Maybe show both version numbers. And maybe today

(EDIT: Simply fix as first step, just put 3.1 there without exact version number. Then it's not misleading at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
Fantastic edition of the emulator after trying again first time in a while, nice work guys. Unfortunately there does seem to be a significant issue with XBOX controller recognition which does appear to be version specific. Tried on two different systems one latest MAC OS Apple Silicon and the other standard high spec PC with windows 11. In both cases tried with 3 different generations of XBOX controller (XBOX one x2 and a 360) I tried both wired and wireless and in all cases none of them are recognised by FS-UAE. Managed to get it working in the end by simply finding a slightly older version of the emulator online where all the controllers were immediately recognised with no other action required. As a side note would be very handy and appreciated to have access to the official previous emulator versions for testing in situations like this.
Since you have the same issue on both Windows/macOS; is the problem that the devices does not appear in FS-UAE Launcher (and not in the FS-UAE emulator itself)? Maybe the problem is that the Launcher does not find fs-uae-device-helper. Have you extracted FS-UAE side-by-side with the Launcher as described on the Download page?

Good point about the previous versions. I'll put on my to-do-list to fix links to earlier versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infy View Post
Hi, I have downloaded the latest version of FS UAE and the launcher:

FS-UAE_3.1.66_Windows_x86-64.zip
FS-UAE-Launcher_3.1.68_Windows_x86-64.zip

I have extracted them as per instructions.
When I attempt to run fs-uae-launcher.exe I get this error:

An error occurred starting FS-UAE Launcher:

ValueError('not enough values to unpack (expected 2, got 1)')

FS-UAE Launcher cannot start because of this.

then I click OK and:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "launcher\apps\fs_uae_launcher.py", line 29, in app_main
File "launcher\launcherapp.py", line 76, in start
File "launcher\ui\launcherwindow.py", line 73, in open
File "fsui\__init__.py", line 59, in open_window_instance
File "launcher\ui\launcherwindow.py", line 173, in __init__
File "launcher\ui\launcherwindow.py", line 476, in create_column
File "launcher\ui\launcherwindow.py", line 547, in add_column_content
File "launcher\ui\launcherwindow.py", line 692, in add_page
File "launcher\panels\mainpanel.py", line 19, in __init__
File "launcher\ui\config\InputGroup.py", line 59, in __init__
File "launcher\ui\config\InputSelector.py", line 85, in __init__
File "launcher\ui\config\InputSelector.py", line 116, in rebuild_device_list
File "launcher\devicemanager.py", line 173, in get_joystick_names
File "launcher\devicemanager.py", line 74, in init
File "launcher\devicemanager.py", line 137, in init_fsuae
ValueError: not enough values to unpack (expected 2, got 1)

I'm running a fresh install of Windows 11.

Any ideas why it wont run? I'm desperate to relive my Amiga days. It used to work for me on an old version of FS-UAE on a Windows 10 machine but havn't managed to get any joy with new installs since..

Please help!

Ben
Can you send FS-UAE-Launcher.log.txt (https://fs-uae.net/logs) to me - either here or frode@fs-uae.net?

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 29 January 2022 at 12:44.
Old 01 February 2022, 16:22   #59
infy

Quote:
Can you send FS-UAE-Launcher.log.txt (https://fs-uae.net/logs) to me - either here or frode@fs-uae.net?
Thanks Frode I’ve emailed you my log hopefully you can shed some light on it. Thanks!
Old 02 February 2022, 00:08   #60
lesta_smsc

Somehow missed this thread but great to see more developments. I'm still using an older version and it works fine for net play!

However, I've just learnt FS-UAE can run on RPi! @FrodeSolheim is there anyway that I could output at native resolution? My RPi4 runs at 240p via Recalbox. I'm not sure if FS-UAE is standalone or can be implemented in Recalbox like Amiberry?