English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 04 May 2010, 13:57   #1
Amiga4ever

Programming IDE and compilers

Hi..
Long (long long) time ago, i programmed the amiga. now i wanna do it again (I hope i'll have the time, between programming the SNES, XNA and playing with my kid )

Can you direct me to a compleat DevKit with the IDE included? Or (if not any) to a good IDE that is free (i know about Cube - somthig, but it's cost money).

I'm looking into programming in C and assembly.

thank you everyone.
Old 04 May 2010, 14:11   #2
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Your profile - Something strange your location just has a blank
Old 04 May 2010, 14:13   #3
Leffmann

I've uploaded SAS/C in The Zone for you, and on http://www.theflamearrows.info/ you can download ASM-One, a very rich IDE for assembly programming on the Amiga. There's also an assembly suite called Barfly which is available for free on the Aminet.

If you're looking to link assembly and C together then ASM-One won't do. At least I've never gotten any linker to accept its object files, and in any case it's a less elegant solution. If you want to look at cross development then you can download vbcc, vasm and vlink from http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/ to get a portable C compiler, assembler and linker that work together.
Old 04 May 2010, 14:46   #4
Amiga4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
I've uploaded SAS/C in The Zone for you, and on http://www.theflamearrows.info/ you can download ASM-One, a very rich IDE for assembly programming on the Amiga. There's also an assembly suite called Barfly which is available for free on the Aminet.

If you're looking to link assembly and C together then ASM-One won't do. At least I've never gotten any linker to accept its object files, and in any case it's a less elegant solution. If you want to look at cross development then you can download vbcc, vasm and vlink from http://sun.hasenbraten.de/~frank/ to get a portable C compiler, assembler and linker that work together.
I found my old (very very very old) books. "Amiga hardware refrence manual" (amizing book) and the "Amiga Rom kernel refrence manuel"... two different aproches to program the amiga.

I'ts been a very long time since i did my last demo/intro, so which is the prefered way to do it? using the Rom kernel libraries or work directly to the hardware? I know working directly on the hardware is faster, but what is the best productive way?
Old 04 May 2010, 14:56   #5
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga4ever View Post
I'ts been a very long time since i did my last demo/intro, so which is the prefered way to do it? using the Rom kernel libraries or work directly to the hardware? I know working directly on the hardware is faster, but what is the best productive way?
To hit the hardware. If you were to use the AmigaOS APIs for all your graphic effects it would eventually amount up to tons of code, not to mention that it would animate at a snail's pace.
Old 04 May 2010, 16:16   #6
Amiga4ever

I love programming directly to the hardware, that's way i just did a new intro to the SNES ...

What about the old tools, like Lattic C, Hisoft Devpac assembler metacomco assemler and more others?
Why using new tools?

Are the new tools includes the original headers, with the original memory constants?

Last edited by Amiga4ever; 04 May 2010 at 16:31.
Old 04 May 2010, 16:44   #7
Amiga4ever

can someone help me get the HiSof Devpac assemller? also looking for lattice C .
Old 04 May 2010, 16:51   #8
Leffmann

As for the C language there's just one, but different standards. The current C standard is C99 and is partly implemented by vbcc, but not by SAS/C. Both vbcc and SAS/C support C89.

The various M68K assemblers are mostly compatible, and I think they should all be able to parse Commodore's standard include files without errors. You may have to change specific things as section statements and macros.

Some assemblers feature more relaxed syntaxes, f.ex in Devpac you're not allowed to put operand spaces anywhere, but in ASM-One you may do so at some places. vasm allows you to format your code and expressions freely, and as far as I know it has the best macro support. vasm also has Devpac and PhxAss compatibility support for older source codes.
Old 04 May 2010, 17:04   #9
Leffmann

Quote:
What about the old tools, like Lattic C, Hisoft Devpac assembler metacomco assemler and more others?
Why using new tools?
Because they're usually better than the old ones.

Quote:
Are the new tools includes the original headers, with the original memory constants?
Yes, and the original memory maps and headers don't change, they are just added to in order to support new hardware and APIs.
Old 04 May 2010, 17:31   #10
Amiga4ever

the Aone i've downloaded seem to be missing the headers and a source disk. can you help with that?

thanks.
Old 04 May 2010, 17:57   #11
Leffmann

Victim linked to this in another thread: http://www.savage-crew.de/include.zip

source: is just a default path ASM-One uses, and you can change it to whatever you like in the settings.
Old 04 May 2010, 19:57   #12
Amiga4ever

Quote:

I have no privilages to access the zone :-( is there other way to download sas/c?
Old 04 May 2010, 21:21   #13
Graham Humphrey

Aargh!

Read the 'Rules & Help' link at the top of the page...
Old 05 May 2010, 00:56   #14
Amiga4ever

Leffmann: can you upload to the zone a good IDE? apearently the SAS/C don't come with one.
Old 05 May 2010, 01:50   #15
Leffmann

I don't have any other. SAS/C comes with an editor with syntax highlighting and has GUIs for many of the other tools included, but it's nothing like Microsoft Visual Studio of course.

SAS/C is the best C compiler for the Amiga, but some of the alternatives like StormC might have better IDEs if that's what you're looking for.
Old 05 May 2010, 02:43   #16
NovaCoder

Your only options are CubicIDE, StormC V4 or AmiDevCPP.

Read all about my pain right here
Old 05 May 2010, 03:10   #17
Amiga4ever

Quote:
I don't have any other. SAS/C comes with an editor with syntax highlighting and has GUIs for many of the other tools included, but it's nothing like Microsoft Visual Studio of course.

SAS/C is the best C compiler for the Amiga, but some of the alternatives like StormC might have better IDEs if that's what you're looking for.
Where is the IDE locaetd? i serched everything....
Sorry for asking this, but it's been 15 years since the last time i worked on the amiga: the SAS/C keep asking for sc volume. how do i make one or change it to hdo:MyFiles/sc?

evrything i've tryed faild.

thanks..
Old 05 May 2010, 12:11   #18
Leffmann

Quote:
Where is the IDE locaetd? i serched everything....
Sorry for asking this, but it's been 15 years since the last time i worked on the amiga: the SAS/C keep asking for sc volume. how do i make one or change it to hdo:MyFiles/sc?

evrything i've tryed faild.

thanks..
First, if you don't have a decent Workbench setup then get ClassicWB from http://classicwb.abime.net/

In the SAS/C archive I uploaded there is a file called "startup-sequence", open it and add those lines to your own DH0:S/startup-sequence or user-startup file, and change the first line so it points to where you unzipped SAS/C, f.ex assign sc: HD0:MyFiles/sc

Open the sc/c drawer and run the scsetup program, enter RAM:test and SAS/C will create a project located in RAM:test for you. Open the RAM:test drawer and run the edit program. You need to select rename from the menu to set an initial filename, after that you can just click on your source file to open the editor again.

There is additional help material in the sc/help drawer.
Old 05 May 2010, 16:57   #19
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
The GoldEd text editor can be set up to do quite a few things like colour`d highlighting and even compile you code
Old 05 May 2010, 17:11   #20
Amiga4ever

If i understand correctly, after modifying the startup-sequence file , i need to put it in the S: drawer?

I know that the S: Drawer is a script drawer. but does putting it there makes it autorun in each boot?

thanks