English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 July 2003, 01:05   #1
MethodGit

Question Best way to burn Amiga CDs?

Sorry if this isn't the ideal section for a thread like this, but it's sort of a dilemma/problem, and it's related to WinUAE, so what the feck.

What would you say is the 100% best way of burning CDTV/CD³²/AmigaCD CDs? I have several choices:

1) Use CDRWIN and burn through the CUE.
2) Use Fireburner.
3) Mount the image to a virtual drive like the one provided by Daemon Tools, and then either:
a) Use Nero's Copy-CD-to-CD feature.
b) Make a new image out of the image (sounds funny to say that, doesn't it?) in CloneCD format with, well, try to guess.... and then use the same app to burn the new image to CD, without needing to fear about correctly setting up audio track positions, CUE listing, etc.

If there are other choices you could think of, or if you have any general advice regarding this matter, it would do me good to hear what you have to say, thankies.
Old 16 July 2003, 01:23   #2
Echo

Well unless Commodore used custom CDFS images back then, which I doubt, CDR-Win should do the job. Mode 1, 2352 blocks or Mode 2 (raw) should be the only possible two formats you need worry about. Trouble is, they probably have audio tracks. So a CUE file becomes more essential then.

Where have you sourced these images? Downloaded off the net?

My favourite method for handling today's games is Daemontools accessing .ISO/.BIN files stored on a DVD-R.
Old 17 July 2003, 21:39   #3
th4t1guy

I like CDRWIN the best for handling Amiga cds, as it seems to be the best at reading them. I have a CDTV title called Music Makers that could not be read properly by any other program except CDRWIN.
I use CDRWIN 4.0A beta, since after that I heard Goldenhawk got into some legal problems with their software (I think their product was based on licensed software, so later versions have been redesigned).

Another decent program for making direct copies of cds is Padus Discjuggler. It does a better job than Clone-CD or even CDRWIN at times, but I have not tried it with Amiga discs.
Old 18 July 2003, 09:20   #4
MethodGit

I know there are versions of CDRWIN like 4.0A or 5.0 floating around on the net, but these actually turn out to be older than, say, 3.9C and/or 3.9D. Rather confusing indeed.

Did 4/5 look significantly different from the 3.x series? Going backwards in terms of version numbers seems very much like the Coca-Cola and Winamp stories to me.
Old 18 July 2003, 10:47   #5
Tourniquet

Version 4 is still in beta, whilst 3 is stable.

Version 5 is completely different software written by a different company.

You think that's confusing you should read Nullsoft's plans for Winamp :P

(Winamp 5 will be the combination of Winamp 2 and 3 :P amongst others)

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....=67254#winamp5
Old 18 July 2003, 10:49   #6
th4t1guy

4.0a Beta is almost exactly the same as 3.x, except i think they fixed some bugs, added support for things like burn-proof, newer burners, and so on. I've never had any problems with it.

CDRWIN 5 is AFAIK not made by the same company that did CDRWIN 3.x. What happened is I think Goldenhawk used someone else's CLI burning program and just built a gui around it. They got sued, and after that, I think they had to redesign their burning program. I think some other company bought the rights or something, and released a 5.0. 4.0a beta was made right before they got sued.

Hmm...now that I think about it, I really don't know wtf I'm talking about, just spouting rumours I've heard on other forums. One thing is for sure though, CDRWIN 5.0 is a load of shit.