English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 08 March 2023, 18:21   #1
kremiso

Longtime problematic games to correctly emulate?

the target of the question is not WinUAE, almost if not perfect to correctly emulate all the miggy games

but all the other emulators released also on other platforms, back in the day
and all the other ways to emulate the Amiga that you are using / have used

which games do you have encountered the most as not running at all like on real hardware, during your personal retroemulation journey?

specific sequences into a game are also accepted thanks
Old 08 March 2023, 18:40   #2
Seiya

i tried several games trough WinUAE and i not yet found a game that not run like real hardware.
A500 games run in identical way a part some games that could have some slight difference in perfomance that depends from cycle_exact emulation.
AGA games run in indentical way, but cycle_exact in some games make more difference in performance so some times could be little faster or little slower.

If you intend 68030, 68040 and 68060 emulation there is big difference instead because WinUAE not emulate Mhz and so if you set 68030 you could have performance much more faster than real 68030@50.
Old 08 March 2023, 20:11   #3
shelter

Yes I had to set cpu MHz to 20 in WinUAE to be closer to an 030@50 MHz.
Keep in mind that this doesn't mean it's exactly like an 030 on the original hardware as the emulation isn't cycle exact for that cpu yet. The 68000 is though as far as I know.
Old 08 March 2023, 20:14   #4
chip

A500 emulation is cycle-exact accurate
Old 08 March 2023, 20:45   #5
kremiso

guys, i'm not asking for WinUAE, but mainly for all the other ways to emulate the Amiga, so also on other platforms than just PC

i choosed the otherUAE forum on purpose lol
Old 09 March 2023, 11:47   #6
shelter

Besides WinUAE, I use FS-UAE and Amiberry too.
But I have to say, WinUAE is still the most stable of them all, it just works.
The other 2 emulators, while they work too, I tend to ran into more compatibility problems.

Like, I can run ADoom fine in WinUAE and on a real amiga, but it hangs when using one of the other emulators.
I can run a working OS3.2.2 installation on a real amiga, works in both WinUAE and another emulator, but not the third one.

I don't want to name the ones that aren't working with what because things tend to change very quickly.
Old 09 March 2023, 11:52   #7
chip

WinUAE rulez !
Old 09 March 2023, 13:26   #8
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelter View Post
...Like, I can run ADoom fine in WinUAE and on a real amiga, but it hangs when using one of the other emulators.
I can run a working OS3.2.2 installation on a real amiga, works in both WinUAE and another emulator, but not the third one.
you started with a massive one

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
WinUAE rulez !
im a fan too, but here i would like to focus just on games.
A couple i remember i have encountered recursively in past, trough different devices :

- Turrican 1
not the standard platform levels, but the two flying sequences
seemed to have inside some tricks that a good bunch of emulators failed to make run correctly

- Ghost n Goblins
i remember also this one as always been slower than real hardware
i have read some threads that says about a bug in the sfx code, i don't know if that was be the cause of the emulation issue

- Jim Power
another one i remember problematic bitd, also on Atari ST
i remember this running extremely slow on a couple of emus (Android the last one iirc)

i know that the cause is probably the not updated cores in the other devices emulators, but i would like also discuss to the maybe other reasons that 'locks' some titles more than others

what tricks they hide inside?
Old 10 March 2023, 14:19   #9
giantclam

I'm also interested in this, wrt testing *uae engines -- which demos/games out there really suffer badly in emulation?
Old 11 March 2023, 09:49   #10
kremiso

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantclam View Post
I'm also interested in this, wrt testing *uae engines -- which demos/games out there really suffer badly in emulation?
another reasoning i would like to put aside is also the lack of cpu power of some devices too, to grant a decent running of the demanding titles

this (outdated?) compatibility list, also based on an old core, in reality i think it could be very useful to understand that a large part of miggy titles seems to require from 250 to 300 mhz to have a good emulation

http://www.wiki.gp2x.org/articles/u/a/e/UAE4all.html
Old 15 March 2023, 10:03   #11
kremiso

if you are on something different than WinUAE or FS-UAE, or even better not emulating the Amiga with a PC, here, something for you to test

the Turrican 1 flight sequence mentioned above
please report how it does run on your side

Turrican 1 flight sequence adf

1MB to load it
Old 09 April 2023, 21:36   #12
yesplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
if you are on something different than WinUAE or FS-UAE, or even better not emulating the Amiga with a PC
@kremiso I got your idea ... you want exotic platforms and non mainstream emulators and problematic testcases

platform iPadOS/iOS

emulator https://vamigaweb.github.io added/installed as PWA on iPads home screen

test turrican 1 flight ADF -> runs fine.

vAmiga emulation core shares no code with UAE

Last edited by yesplease; 09 April 2023 at 21:47.
Old 11 April 2023, 09:51   #13
kremiso

thank you for the test report @yesplease, appreciated

if you have encountered some specific points in some games that you remember a lot worse than real please share

i think your device just have the power but if you want check for the other mentioned go on
ie >jim power<

---
another one i remember problematic (in past btw) was It Came from the Desert, for the speed it was running

ie the intro and the action sequences runned a lot faster on some emulators, make them unplayable like the big ant battle