English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 October 2014, 16:12   #121
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Where do you see 'steam key' on GOG?
Some people hate Steam so much they have it's logo perma-engraved on the eyeball to locate it more easily. The downside is that it sometimes appears where it doesn't exist...
Old 23 October 2014, 17:45   #122
Washac

Quote:
Think he is looking at the actual Grimrock site, it does make it look like you get a steam key with as he says all three options, bad layout.
Old 24 October 2014, 11:30   #123
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Possibly you still get a steam key with the non-steam versions so you can still link it to your Steam account?
Old 24 October 2014, 11:31   #124
IFW

Quote:
http://www.grimrock.net/buy/
"DRM-free + a Steam key"
"DRM-free and on Steam"
"DRM-free + Steam keys"

These are the only options.
It's not quite clear whether you get a download link plus a key for steam if you fancy that, or you have to have steam installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Some people hate Steam so much they have it's logo perma-engraved on the eyeball to locate it more easily. The downside is that it sometimes appears where it doesn't exist...
Some people use company laptops where anything like steam would be strictly prohibited. It has nothing to do with the merits of steam or the lack of them.
It's purely about security and data confidentiality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
Just buy the GoG version it does NOT need the steam key, I have it I am playing it, it does NOT need a the steam key to run.

http://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_grimrock_2

Read the box on the right hand side, DRM free no online activation required.

Their site does state DRM free + steam key, they add the key in case you want it I would say, just be safe and buy from the GoG link above.
Ideally I'd pay the developers directly, so nobody else would get a 30% or more cut from their well deserved income
So if there is any way without steam from their website I'd go for that.

Last edited by TCD; 24 October 2014 at 15:04. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 24 October 2014, 11:43   #125
ajk

From the "Read more" link on grimrock.net:

Quote:
If you buy now, you get the game for a special -10% discount and both a Steam key and a standalone installer. Buying directly from us is the best way to support the developers! You can also buy both Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 for a special bundle price.
Sounds like the key is just an extra, after all so many people like managing their games through Steam. Just email the guys if it still seems uncertain
Old 24 October 2014, 15:05   #126
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFW View Post
It's not quite clear whether you get a download link plus a key for steam if you fancy that, or you have to have steam installed.
DRM free means that you get a download link. Nothing else needed. In case of doubt always buy on GOG as they only offer DRM free games.
Old 26 October 2014, 05:41   #127
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

OMG ITS GREAT!!!!

Its Grimrock but so much more!!!!!
Old 27 October 2014, 09:41   #128
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah and its tough as nails too, once you get a little further into the game (basically after you collected the first 4 gems) it really does its best to murder you at every corner with epic traps and legions of enemies. Dumbly whacking at enemies is absolutely not enough, there have been plenty of moments where the game was designed to make you run and hide and pick your battles a little more strategically. At one point in time I ended up in a room filled with too many skellies to fight for any party and I just ran and snatched a key, jumped into a teleporter, jumped down a hole and fell in some water "ah, that was supposed to happen" I thought to myself. That was the 8th attempt after having died horribly 7 times trying to fight and cursing the game developers.

The game literally also has a new dimension with the whole ladder system and the ability to go under water - you don't have only floors like in the good old Dungeon Master, you have levels within the same floor which you can climb, look down and drop stuff in and plenty of pressure plate puzzles make good use of that. It adds another dimension to the puzzles and that makes it so the variation in puzzles is far greater than in the original Grimrock.

This game is HUGE and and is HARD. Absolutely love it.
Old 27 October 2014, 13:32   #129
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Playing the game in old-skool and hard mode!

It certainly is at that, I love the AI update of the creatures, literally jumping back as you try the four step shuffle!

And the frogs / toads - very clever so far!!!

Sunk about 8 hours into it so far (after character creation!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah and its tough as nails too, once you get a little further into the game (basically after you collected the first 4 gems) it really does its best to murder you at every corner with epic traps and legions of enemies. Dumbly whacking at enemies is absolutely not enough, there have been plenty of moments where the game was designed to make you run and hide and pick your battles a little more strategically. At one point in time I ended up in a room filled with too many skellies to fight for any party and I just ran and snatched a key, jumped into a teleporter, jumped down a hole and fell in some water "ah, that was supposed to happen" I thought to myself. That was the 8th attempt after having died horribly 7 times trying to fight and cursing the game developers.

The game literally also has a new dimension with the whole ladder system and the ability to go under water - you don't have only floors like in the good old Dungeon Master, you have levels within the same floor which you can climb, look down and drop stuff in and plenty of pressure plate puzzles make good use of that. It adds another dimension to the puzzles and that makes it so the variation in puzzles is far greater than in the original Grimrock.

+1 QFT!
Old 27 October 2014, 17:13   #130
Zandig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post

Have you been to the "Herder's Den"
Old 27 October 2014, 20:55   #131
RokChild
The One The ONLY

Send a message via ICQ to RokChild
I wish there was a version without Spiders in, I am a complete arachnophobe!!!!!!
Old 27 October 2014, 22:40   #132
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Bought and it's great so far. Had a character die at the first boss Terrible play there

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokChild View Post
I wish there was a version without Spiders in, I am a complete arachnophobe!!!!!!
Then do something about your phobia. These irrational fears can be treated.
Old 28 October 2014, 00:28   #133
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

A phobia against "Game Spiders", well I never
Old 28 October 2014, 00:43   #134
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
A phobia against "Game Spiders", well I never
It's a problem for people in the first Grimrock, too. Not funny when you have it, but treatable.
Old 28 October 2014, 09:02   #135
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah, with a flipping huge fireball!
Old 01 November 2014, 11:38   #136
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

If you liked Knightmare- you'll love this!

Good game!

Last edited by Mounty; 01 November 2014 at 13:19. Reason: Just because...
Old 01 November 2014, 12:17   #137
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i remember the TV show. also went to see Knightmare Live at the Edinburgh festival this year, it was a good laugh
Old 01 November 2014, 13:16   #138
Mounty
Hardware Design Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokChild View Post
But they're not spiders! Simply pixels on a screen!
Old 01 November 2014, 14:52   #139
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The spiders you see in the garden are just a collection of molecules. But together they form a spider - the same for the pixels on the screen.
Old 01 November 2014, 18:17   #140
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

If all else fails -

pixels or molecules...... arguably they will burn!