English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 30 June 2021, 23:35   #1
8bitheaven

Looking for a couple of games in either .scp or .ipf format if anyone can help

Hi

I am slowly working my way through my old amiga original games collection to see what is working and what is not. If not working I am trying to clean them but I have a couple that I have not been able to breathe new life into.

I am looking for the games below in either .scp or .ipf format so that I can use donor disks to rebuild the originals. There are .adf images available but these are cracked versions and I would prefer to use an image of the originals if anyone can help.

The games are;

International Soccer (Amiga Soccer) by Microdeal
International Rugby Challenge by Domark

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
Old 12 July 2021, 20:21   #2
BarryB
Amigaholic

I have International Soccer as an 'unofficial' IPF from my original copies from the Goldrush Collection and Pocket Power Collection, just uses ADOS and PC/ST 10 sector tracks, uploaded it to The Zone!

How do I access The Zone?

What's the issue with International Rugby Challenge? Can you supply a dump of it so I can check what's wrong? I don't have this one but we'll see if your copy can be repaired!!
Old 13 July 2021, 11:33   #3
8bitheaven

Thanks for that. International Rugby gives read errors. I have tried cleaning the disk a few times but no joy. I can create an image and upload it to the Zone. Do you want it in .scp format?
Old 13 July 2021, 19:12   #4
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitheaven View Post
Thanks for that. International Rugby gives read errors. I have tried cleaning the disk a few times but no joy. I can create an image and upload it to the Zone. Do you want it in .scp format?
What are using to dump with? A Greaseweazle or Super Card Pro? If it's a Greaseweazle dump with something like: gw read rugby\rugby_.raw --revs=5 --tracks=c=0-83

Make sure the 'rugby' folder is created first before dumping!
Old 16 July 2021, 23:02   #5
8bitheaven

HI, I have created the raw file of International Rugby Challenge as requested and uploaded to TheZone. It would be great if you could repair it. Thanks for your help.
Old 16 July 2021, 23:29   #6
BarryB
Amigaholic

Nice one, thanks! I'll take a look tomorrow when I have more time!
Old 17 July 2021, 15:37   #7
BarryB
Amigaholic

So you have a Greasweazle? Well, 3 sectors are bad, one in each of tracks 12.0/12.1 (rugby) & track 13.0 (Shell-Seg). There are other bad tracks but when making an ADF from your dump only 2 files show as corrupt!

Looking at the PDX and TT 'cracks' the good sectors in those 3 tracks they are identical to the data in your dump so I just used those 3 tracks to repair an adf I made from your dump and that now loads OK. I also think the game is not protected and those 'cracks' are not cracks but just made out that way when they are just 'spreading' the disk!

I also compared all the files in the root directory to the PDX release and they are all identical so no other game files were corrupt! Have uploaded an ADF of the disk to The Zone.

Your disk also has an extra file, SnapShot.TB, so is that a save game?
Old 17 July 2021, 16:00   #8
8bitheaven

Amazing, thank you! I wish I understood this stuff and could try to repair them myself. I have looked for tutorials but could not find anything at all, just stuff about cleaning floppy disks and floppy drives.
Old 17 July 2021, 16:04   #9
8bitheaven

I am not sure what the extra file is. It has been some time since I used some of these. Maybe a save but I thought games saved to a blank floppy, maybe not.
Old 17 July 2021, 16:32   #10
BarryB
Amigaholic

I'm not sure either so I deleted the SnapShot.TB file and then saved a game and that file was created so it's a save game file! Quite a few originals allowed saving directly to the original disk and looking at the dump in HxC there are tell tale signs where the index marks are not aligned with the rest of them so I believe that shows it's modified!
Old 17 July 2021, 19:42   #11
8bitheaven

I use HxC to look at images once I create them and in the case of International Rugby can see the red bad sectors. I know how to create a file in a different format using HxC and if I create an .adf file using the .raw file I can see the damaged tracks you mention. How do you know which files they relate to, i.e. rugby and Shell-Seg? Also how do you then copy from one .adf file to another to replace them?
Old 17 July 2021, 21:24   #12
BarryB
Amigaholic

I use WinUAE and just file copied the disk in DiskMaster 2 to RAM: until I got an error, then saw what folder the file copy stopped on which was 'l' so opened that and file copied each file until and found Shell-Seg failed to copy, then carried on copying the rest of the folders/files until 'rugby' failed to copy from the root directory!

I also use a program called 'Discovery' that lets you examine the sectors of the disk, and seeing how tracks 12.0/12.1 and 13.0 were bad you can step through those tracks and see which sectors were bad, plus you can see the sector headers and see which block the directory entry is located so you can see which file it relates to, which was block 939 for 'rugby' and block 1128 for 'Shell-Seg'.

Seeing as the PDX 'crack' had identical sector checksums for all the good sectors in your dump on tracks 12.0/12.1/13.0, it was 'safe' to assume the bad sectors would have been the same checksums too so I just used X-Copy to copy those tracks to the ADF in WinUAE, after that the ADF booted just like the original!
Old 17 July 2021, 22:31   #13
8bitheaven

Thanks for that, I will have a play. The way that I convert to .adf is to load the .raw image in HxC and then select Export Disk / Save As and select .adf, is that the right way?
Old 17 July 2021, 22:48   #14
BarryB
Amigaholic

That's how I export any AmigaDOS dump to ADF.

Just be aware that Discovery works with the full 160 tracks not 80 tracks per side like HxC does, so track 12.0 in HxC is actually track 24 in Discovery, track 12.1 in HxC is track 25 in Discovery, track 67.1 in HxC is track 135 in Discovery, see how it works?
Old 17 July 2021, 22:58   #15
8bitheaven

Yes, thanks