English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 August 2024, 14:38   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Black Viper, any good?!

I had a few goes recently of Black Viper following my reviews of other bike racers such as Super Hang-On and Prime Mover and I'm not sure what my final thoughts are about it.

This game has more of a road rage feel to it where you must reach the check points whilst blasting certain vehicles before your hit damage reaches 100% when the game will end.

Released in 1996 (2yrs past It's sell by date in not only my opinion but even the programmer who left a comment on my longplay of it stating the same), the game is fast, really fast BUT It's still a little bit choppy, certainly not in the fluid league as say Lotus 2.

Any thoughts?!

"Lets Play" Black Viper Review: [ Show youtube player ]

Black Viper Longplay / Full Game: [ Show youtube player ]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bv.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	82895  
Old 12 August 2024, 17:11   #2
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

I like it. Long loading times, yes, but I like the atmosphere and the programmers clearly spent some attention with the controls with lots of options in that department. Other positive aspects: animated backgrounds, parallax, simultaneous music and SFX, etc. The fps is somewhat odd but not as bad as some other Amiga games. I always felt that it if it had come out exactly as-is in 1991 it would be hailed as an Amiga classic but it came after the Playstation was available. Of course it felt too little, too late.
Old 13 August 2024, 09:56   #3
CCCP alert

Hmmm not played this for well over a decade, waiting for when I finish the living room and I can set up my CDTV under the plasma TV via SCART RGB (looks perfect on A500 playing Lotus II I remember) and this is one of the games I am going to burn to a CDR and play on it.

Technically it's no Lotus II but then nothing else is on an A500 spec OCS machine really, it's actually not too shabby in the frame update and it's sort of like dystopian/overlander on 2 wheels type thing rather than F17/Lotus type pure racer from what I remember. Never had it back in the day because I had really lost touch with all my Amiga contacts by 1996....all my friends were on 32bit consoles by then.
Old 13 August 2024, 19:13   #4
Gzegzolka

I have already post my deep thoughts on YT, brief - I like it, I know it's pros and cons, I know what it is and what it was planned to be.
Old 14 August 2024, 06:13   #5
Adropac2
Zone Friend

terrific music and something I've wanted to play for years but never did. One day
Old 14 August 2024, 08:01   #6
vulture

Technically, a very impressive racer. Gameplay needed some tweaking, but overall, I like it a lot.