English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 July 2022, 04:49   #1
grelbfarlk

I have to get rid of some Amiga stuff.

I have too many Amigas and parts. But going down the list, I think I can't get rid of any of it. How to decide?
Old 23 July 2022, 04:57   #2
amiman99

Start with getting rid of multiples. Keep one of each, and pick best condition from your stash.
Old 23 July 2022, 06:26   #3
cloverskull

I'm in the same boat...I don't even use the CD32 I have, why the hell do I have two?! Hehe. And I have one A1200 I actually use with an 030 in a checkmate case. My other A1200 is towered with a BPPC and I haven't even bothered setting it up, which brings me to my A4000, of which I have three processors. Why? Who knows. Lol.

It's an addiction.

Don't get me started on PC hardware, game consoles...ugh.
Old 23 July 2022, 15:07   #4
Signman

well if you have an amiga 1000 floppy drive or the external 1010 drive start with that.
Can't find one.
Old 23 July 2022, 15:13   #5
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
Start with getting rid of multiples. Keep one of each, and pick best condition from your stash.

One is not enough, what if it breaks?
Need to have a spare for each item.
And a spare for the spare.
And...
Old 23 July 2022, 16:40   #6
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I have too many Amigas and parts. But going down the list, I think I can't get rid of any of it. How to decide?
The way I look at it, you can’t too much of a good thing Bromigo! Parts are getting scarcer.

I’m in the same boat. I horde too many things, by the time I decide to sell anything I then regret it as I tend to make use of it afterwards and kick myself for getting rid of it.

What I would do I check what you have now in your collection, then make the decision on what you need to keep to make that system has parts to function. Don’t forget a lot of parts especially on EBay are expensive at the moment. The other question to ask is, do you need to sell now due to needing money?

Laters Mang!
Old 23 July 2022, 16:57   #7
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Parts are getting scarcer.
Do you think there might be a connection between this and the topic at hand?
Old 23 July 2022, 17:11   #8
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Do you think there might be a connection between this and the topic at hand?
Bromigo! The Op has asked a question where there is no indication in what they get rid off. I can only make a assumption the owner has parts for standard Amigas where those parts are getting scarce. Or may have rarer parts that’s never been used.
Not sure what you are alluding to there Mang?!
Old 23 July 2022, 17:26   #9
Wrangler

Just give it all to me, gribble, that'll clear your conscience!
Old 23 July 2022, 18:26   #10
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Not sure what you are alluding to there Mang?!
Isn't it obvious? One of the reasons that "parts are getting scarce" is the fact that people are hoarding them, same goes for complete Amigas. This also makes the prices go silly.

I used to get mad about this rather simple correlation, but the truth is it probably doesn't even matter anymore. The market is so skewed now that the percentage of genuine first-buyers is most likely very small, and people who bid on things are either resellers/scalpers or hoarders.
Old 23 July 2022, 19:31   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I need to obtain some Amiga Hardware. I don't have a CDTV keyboard or CDTV external floppy drive. Or an A1200! I'm not a reseller or scalper I'm an Amiga user and a website creator http://thalion.exotica.org So if you'd like your old Amiga Hardware to be used to run Ambermoon beta's or Lionheart patches then get in touch

Last edited by alexh; 24 July 2022 at 12:41.
Old 24 July 2022, 03:57   #12
grelbfarlk

Even trying to remember it all is hard.
I think I have about:
9 A4000 accelerators, of 6 different makes
Can't say for certain how many PCI PPC accelerators, it's over 10.
4 RTG cards
Some A2000/A500 accelerators
Random Z2 boards
6ish complete A4000s, 4 with mediators
An A2000 and a CDTV, maxed to the gills.

No I don't need the money, I just have too much stuff.

Sorry Alex I don't have a CDTV keyboard. The only external floppy I have is my original A1010 and that's got to be the oldest Amiga thing I have. No, for some reason I still have the 256k A1000 memory that I yanked for some reason when we upgraded to an A2000.
I bought most of it broken as a project to see if I could fix it, so most of it was really cheap. Seems like it's scalping if something I bought for $100 and fixed up and flip it for $600, is kind of shitty. Some was donated, some was loot.
Originally I had an A4000 in an Elbox tower, it wasn't running for about 10 years. I fixed that up and realized I still had my desktop case and the busboard for it. So I looked for a motherboard, and I found one but it was in a tower with a broken busboard and motherboard. So I took that motherboard and built up the desktop again. Then I realized I now had to find another motherboard for the new tower and an accelerator. So I got a couple broken motherboards and eventually fixed them up. Now I have an extra motherboard and while I'm fixing it up, for a spare I see an empty case. So I buy the case and now I need a busboard as one of them was shot... Anyway a few more iterations of that and I have six A4000s.

The CDTV the only thing I want to do to it is replace the 1X CDROM with a slot load DVD drive.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 24 July 2022 at 04:23.
Old 24 July 2022, 06:16   #13
amiman99

I sold some spare Amiga parts and one A1000, so far I did not regret it, and someone is happy.
Old 24 July 2022, 12:52   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Can't say for certain how many PCI PPC accelerators, it's over 10.
I'm always watching eBay for one. A BigFoot Killer NIC M1 or a Sonnet Crescendo 7200 but too many Amiga users now know what to look for and the prices have gone mad. You can still bag PrPMC815 for under $200 but add in the PMC carrier board and the extra space it takes up.

Quote:
The CDTV the only thing I want to do to it is replace the 1X CDROM with a slot load DVD drive.
That might be possible in software in a few years with the work being done by http://cdtvland.com on the new Extended ROM.

I could probably make a hardware bridge (ATAPI<->Matsushita) given enough incentive. I have all the equipment on my desk. Just need time.
Old 24 July 2022, 13:32   #15
chucsmom69

I started collecting amiga stuff back in 2015 and now have got to a point where i like 2 of all my faves in case one gies tits up, my least used systems are my A600 and my Cd32 i have 2 amiga 500's and 2 amiga 1200s and one vampire 4 stand alone. I have had to pay through the nose for most of these and they all have various expansions so id keep doubles for redundancy if evwr the worst happens.
Old 24 July 2022, 16:00   #16
Jope
-

I also have a ton of Amiga stuff I need to sell, but I hate inventing prices for them. :-) Auctions are the best, but of course they mainly benefit the seller.
Old 24 July 2022, 16:12   #17
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I'm always watching eBay for one. A BigFoot Killer NIC M1 or a Sonnet Crescendo 7200 but too many Amiga users now know what to look for and the prices have gone mad. You can still bag PrPMC815 for under $200 but add in the PMC carrier board and the extra space it takes up.
There is a Polish user on EAB that designed a carrier card. Not sure what the status is.
Old 24 July 2022, 18:14   #18
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Isn't it obvious? One of the reasons that "parts are getting scarce" is the fact that people are hoarding them, same goes for complete Amigas. This also makes the prices go silly.

I used to get mad about this rather simple correlation, but the truth is it probably doesn't even matter anymore. The market is so skewed now that the percentage of genuine first-buyers is most likely very small, and people who bid on things are either resellers/scalpers or hoarders.
Bromigo! First off the Op has eluded to have horded parts as he has described now.
Secondly I’m seeing plenty of A600, A500, A1200, A2000 machines for sale. Yes EBay prices are what they are due to supply and demand. Don’t forget EBay charge sellers a fee also. Currently this on co.uk is 10.6667% of both end price and P&P, also V.A.T @ 20% and also a 30 U.K pence fee on top. There also a matter of cost of living crisis kicking off due to the current War in Ukraine. So Im not surprised prices are what they are at Mang!

Besides the Op is looking to get rid of stuff

My suggestion is he donates this to Chris Edwards who at the moment is helping Amiga owners by freely repairing classic Amigas for the community.

[ Show youtube player ]

You don’t see any certain Amiga Recappers/resellers offering that to poor Amiga Owners. They just want to stuff their pockets to make a living.
Old 24 July 2022, 20:58   #19
Signman

We all want to “stuff” our pockets to make a living.
As good a guy as Chris Edwards is, by doing it for free you get a lot of people clogging up the queue for help. In the end few people get things fixed. He says free but that shouldn’t stop people from donating nicely to his patreon when he does a service.

It’s always easy to spend other people’s money and to donate their time.
Old 24 July 2022, 23:22   #20
Locutus

As far as what to get rid off, i have a simple rule;

If i haven't turned it on in the last year, it's just hoarding not useful ownership as it will likely also go unused the year after.

...And at that point, it's best to let go.