English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 03 June 2022, 12:29   #1
hop

68K register management

Are there any widely adopted, standard best practices for robustly managing register usage in 68K assembly? Hoping that the collective knowlege of years of game and demo coding can give me a few tried and tested guidlines to save me headaches down the line.

As I write larger programs with more routines I've found myself debugging a good few times, only to find a called routine is stomping a register that the caller is using to store state.

I add a comment block to each routine with which registers it uses as inputs, outputs and what it modifies (uses as scratch internally). For example:

Code:
; ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Reads a longword from trackBuffer into D0, loading another tracks worth of data if required
;
; D0 <- value
;
; Modifies: D0, D1, D6, D7, A0, A1 
;
readLongIntoD0:
This is the best approach I've come up with, but I've been caught out when a called function uses a new register, and I've made an error manually propogating it up the comments: missed adding it to one of the comments on a function that calls it the modifed routine.

I'm not sure if this approach would scale to a large (game sized) project with dozens of files and hundreds of routines.

I know that OS calls can always trash D0,D1,A0,A1 so it's up to the caller to preserve, but guarantees to preserves others internally. I'm not sure if this is a good approach for games - sounds a bit heavyweight, but at least it is approach that would work. Is there a good middle ground, or is it all a bit freeform in practice? Thanks for any tips.
Old 03 June 2022, 14:22   #2
Thomas Richter

The widely adopted standard you already mentioned. d0-d1/a0-a1 are scratches, everything else is preserved. It's not only the Os convention, it is also the convention adopted by most (if not all) compilers. Performance-wise, I doubt it makes much of a difference in most functions, and for low-level, high-duty functions, you can still document something else. Using a register allocation per-function is confusing and error-prone, so don't. As soon as you want to change something, you shoot yourself into the foot.

As suggestion, one could probably include a6 in the scratch register list if you call Os functions a lot. Or use a5 instead of a4 as base register for data, or...

But, as stated, consistency is most important. Select one convention, stick to it for a project, and for some low-level, heavy duty stuff, use proper documentation and reasoning.
Old 03 June 2022, 16:23   #3
NorthWay

I remember way back when BYTE used to have selected snippets from BIX that Jez San had some discussion he entered about this. I can't remember his approach right now, but it might be possible to find online.
Old 03 June 2022, 17:35   #4
paraj

For a set of functions working closely together I'll often have an entry function that adheres to the global calling convention, and then keep state/often used constants in fixed registers. For example in a decruncher you might keep the input buffer pointer in a0, output in a1 and the "current byte" in d0 (or whatever).

You can see an example of what I mean in Ross' Ocean Loader: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=88565 (might not be latest version)
Old 03 June 2022, 18:57   #5
meynaf
son of 68k

A good practice is to put same data in same register whereever you can. Like on-map coordinate pairs in D6-D7, input data in A0, output data in A1, etc. This way it is not only cleaner, but also faster as the relevant data will often be at the right place without having anything to move. This is something a compiler can not do.
For documenting your functions, don't just list the registers they currently do alter, but also the registers they are eventually allowed to alter - so whenever you have to change something, you have a few of them readily available (or you know that none is usable and you have to save something).
Old 03 June 2022, 19:09   #6
a/b

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
This is something a compiler can not do.
Completely wrong. These days we have AI code generated by AI compilers running on AI hardware and operating on AI cloud AI data. They can do all of that and more, can't you see?
Also, you're selling yourself short. Every time you write an IF statement, holy crap, that's AI. Every time you write a SWITCH statement, wowowoowoww!11! that's *advanced* AI.

/SARCASM_OFF
Old 03 June 2022, 19:14   #7
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/b View Post
Completely wrong. These days we have AI code generated by AI compilers running on AI hardware and operating on AI cloud AI data. They can do all of that and more, can't you see?
Also, you're selling yourself short. Every time you write an IF statement, holy crap, that's AI. Every time you write a SWITCH statement, wowowoowoww!11! that's *advanced* AI.

/SARCASM_OFF

And i suppose this AI is able to generate 68k code too
Old 03 June 2022, 19:46   #8
alkis

Well, I don't think it's the compiler that couldn't do it. The compiler is restricted by the language definition.

A C language extension, say:

foo(int x, int y):boo(),bar() {
}

denoting that foo is only callable from boo() or bar(), would allow the compiler to shuffle the registers cross-functions wide.

Just a guess!
Old 03 June 2022, 20:11   #9
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkis View Post
Well, I don't think it's the compiler that couldn't do it. The compiler is restricted by the language definition.

A C language extension, say:

foo(int x, int y):boo(),bar() {
}

denoting that foo is only callable from boo() or bar(), would allow the compiler to shuffle the registers cross-functions wide.

Just a guess!
Whole program optimization would (in principle) allow this without any extensions. But that discussion is as at least as old as the concept of a wiki (https://wiki.c2.com/?SufficientlySmartCompiler).

Fact is that even in 2022 this thread is still relevant if you care about trying to do performant stuff for real Amiga HW.
Old 03 June 2022, 20:53   #10
Thomas Richter

Even in 2022, the 80-20 rule applies, saying that in your typical program, 80% of the running time is spend in 20% of the code. For the 20% of the code that matters, optimize and worry about saving moves. For the remaining 80%, use a clean calling convention and don't worry too much about performance, or that 80% of functions will create 80% of the trouble later.

Compilers can remove registers moves by inlining functions, for example. That's not black magic.
Old 03 June 2022, 23:38   #11
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Performance-wise, I doubt it makes much of a difference in most functions, and for low-level, high-duty functions, you can still document something else. Using a register allocation per-function is confusing and error-prone, so don't. As soon as you want to change something, you shoot yourself into the foot.
You're absolutely right. It seems very easy to fall into the premature optimisation trap when programming at such a low level. I'll try adopting the OS convention for my next application and see how it goes - I think it will be relaxing to be able to focus on one routine in isolation.
Old 03 June 2022, 23:42   #12
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
For a set of functions working closely together I'll often have an entry function that adheres to the global calling convention, and then keep state/often used constants in fixed registers.
I like this idea. I just wrote a bootblock trackdisk hunk loader and it made sense to reserve a set of registers for global state throughout. I didn't think of doing this as part of a bigger program. I'll definitely keep this in mind thanks.
Old 03 June 2022, 23:49   #13
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
For documenting your functions, don't just list the registers they currently do alter, but also the registers they are eventually allowed to alter - so whenever you have to change something, you have a few of them readily available (or you know that none is usable and you have to save something).
I'm not sure I understand this. Would this mean that a function needs to be aware of everywhere it is called from and I need to look up and logically calculate the set of free registers? Sounds tough.
Old 04 June 2022, 00:06   #14
Auscoder

I have a macro that I use at each end of a function, this macro is not used for performance builds.

Said macro will push a copy of all registers I need preserved, and compare state of registers on function exit. It’s ok to push/compare all registers to start.
In specific debugging mode the exit macro will compare for changed or unchanged registers depending what I am interested in observing. This allows me to analizar register candidates for scratch or register stomps.

Overhead is adding macros to each call of interest, but it’s not much overhead really. Performance wise it is expensive, but in release build macro injects nothing so…. Perf cost is nill. It may be enough to just run this check once a frame at main loop if your conventions are strict enough. But still, it’s always too easy to scrub a register in the hunt for optimisations.
Old 04 June 2022, 09:04   #15
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop View Post
I'm not sure I understand this. Would this mean that a function needs to be aware of everywhere it is called from and I need to look up and logically calculate the set of free registers? Sounds tough.
Well, you have to do this in all cases otherwise you're at risk of a register conflict. The fact a register is really used, or could be used, doesn't change that.
Functions often aren't called from many places so it's usually not a big deal.
And for very common functions called everywhere it's best to alter as few registers as possible (ideally none).
Old 04 June 2022, 14:50   #16
Thomas Richter

But it can become a big deal as soon as you continue to update your software and don't check or don't remember. Having to keep track for each function which registers it "pollutes" does not scale well. As said, this is all acceptable for heavy-duty functions that are local to a particular source (aka "not XDEF'd" aka "static") and really intended to be "helpers" for some other function, but for functions that are intended "general purpose" or "cross module", it is really a bad idea.

As an idea, one should adopt a particular naming convention for such "local stuff" and for global functions that are intended to be used cross-module. It does not matter much which convention you adopt, but some convention is better than nothing. To give you an idea, you could start the name of such helpers with two underscores.

Most software isn't written once and is then complete. It is typically an iterative process that continues over many years, over multiple versions, and then you need a clean style you remember even after years.
Old 04 June 2022, 14:54   #17
Thomas Richter

*double post*
Old 04 June 2022, 15:35   #18
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auscoder View Post
I have a macro that I use at each end of a function, this macro is not used for performance builds.

Said macro will push a copy of all registers I need preserved, and compare state of registers on function exit. It’s ok to push/compare all registers to start.
In specific debugging mode the exit macro will compare for changed or unchanged registers depending what I am interested in observing. This allows me to analizar register candidates for scratch or register stomps.

Overhead is adding macros to each call of interest, but it’s not much overhead really. Performance wise it is expensive, but in release build macro injects nothing so…. Perf cost is nill. It may be enough to just run this check once a frame at main loop if your conventions are strict enough. But still, it’s always too easy to scrub a register in the hunt for optimisations.
I do this aswell, it is super handy for crash purposes and debugging.
Old 04 June 2022, 16:21   #19
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I do this aswell, it is super handy for crash purposes and debugging.
This does sound useful. Is this a pair of macros that bookend the function body? Would it be possible to share?
Old 04 June 2022, 16:28   #20
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
But it can become a big deal as soon as you continue to update your software and don't check or don't remember. Having to keep track for each function which registers it "pollutes" does not scale well. As said, this is all acceptable for heavy-duty functions that are local to a particular source (aka "not XDEF'd" aka "static") and really intended to be "helpers" for some other function, but for functions that are intended "general purpose" or "cross module", it is really a bad idea.
Of course. This is what well-documented interfaces are for.
Actually for cross-module i've often chosen to not alter any register at all unless it's an output. My OS wrapper does exactly that. For end-user call-back routines (f.e. a codec in picture viewer or sound player) all of them may be altered, it's the caller who saves them if needed.