English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 28 September 2004, 10:25   #1
Oxygene

Workbench On Windows

Well,not just a request,but a question also.What happened to WOW?
I found link on mmhart's site,it points to commodore-ale,which is no longer there.
Just curios,what was it exactly,and could someone upload it,since I couldn't find it anywhere on internet?
And I also remember a thread on some newsgroup very long ago,I don't remember which,about "cooperative run-time emulation" of AmigaOS,that would make possible to run Amiga apps as "normal" Windows apps,at least ones that a fully Workbench compliant,and don't rely on custom hardware...I guess it never saw light of the day.Or am I wrong?
Old 23 September 2008, 00:26   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

I have a copy of this app if you're still interested.
Old 23 September 2008, 01:41   #3
AlfaRomeo
A1200 040 SAM440EP 667

Hey prowler, why do you donĀ“t upload it to THE ZONE??
Old 23 September 2008, 10:27   #4
Oxygene

Yes,upload,please.
Thanks.
Old 23 September 2008, 13:37   #5
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
what kind of windows does this WoW need?
minimum requirements?

i'm wondering how compatible it will be.
does it have support for all amigaos versions or only a specific subset?
Old 23 September 2008, 14:12   #6
Oxygene

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoorke View Post
what kind of windows does this WoW need?
minimum requirements?

i'm wondering how compatible it will be.
does it have support for all amigaos versions or only a specific subset?
AFAIR,there were two apps named "workbench on windows" : one was an attempt to replicate workbench look on windows,sort of skin,and another was some sort of emulation layer,which allowed amiga apps tu run natively on Windows desktop.Was the second one for real,or just a hoax,I can't tell.
Old 23 September 2008, 14:18   #7
DamienD
Banned

There's this as well:

Quote:
WINDOWSBENCH
A pretty imitation of MICROSOFTS WINDOWS(tm), but that is all. It doesn`t actually do anything else but it makes your system look ace!
Uploaded "WindowsBench v1.0 (1991)(MikeSoft).zip" to The Zone! in case anyone wants to take a look.
Old 23 September 2008, 22:07   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

@Oxygene:

I'll seek out my copy and upload it to the Zone ASAP (probably tomorrow).

My file is not the same as DamienD's WindowsBench v1.0, but actually Workbench On Windows (beta version 0.8 or 0.08, I think).
Old 24 September 2008, 20:51   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Thumbs up Workbench On Windows uploaded!

OK, I've uploaded the Workbench On Windows Beta 0.08 package to the Zone, but be careful what you do with these files as I suspect this may be a hoax after all.

I'm sorry this has taken so long, but I've had problems getting my upload submission acknowledged.

All the 'programs' in this package when executed terminate with the messages "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" and "Runtime Error 217", except 'testing.exe', which terminates with the error message "Missing WBCONTROL.DLL file".

I have been unable to find such a file anywhere, hence my suspicion that this is a hoax.

So far, I have only tried it on Windows 95 with a Pentium MMX processor, and this may be the problem as the files are dated February 2001 and may have been compiled for a later operating system or processor.

The package has been repeatedly scanned for viruses along with everything else on my system since I obtained it and nothing has been flagged, so I'm assuming it's OK.

Users are welcome to have a play with this, but please proceed with caution!

If anyone can make any sense of this, I'd welcome your observations.

Last edited by prowler; 27 September 2008 at 01:28.
Old 24 September 2008, 21:07   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Really looks like a Hoax. With XP and using all compatibility nothing happens except the error you decribed for 'testing.exe'. The executables are done with Delphi (nothing bad about that per se, but... ) and the screenshots all show WinUAE. Maybe someone else can figure out what that is supposed to do
Old 25 September 2008, 01:29   #11
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Here is the home page for WoW... As it was in 2001

http://web.archive.org/web/200106191...e-ale.com/wow/

Its a pity - but the original zips are not archived
Old 25 September 2008, 13:36   #12
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
There's this as well:

Uploaded "WindowsBench v1.0 (1991)(MikeSoft).zip" to The Zone! in case anyone wants to take a look.
I remember this one It got me started on customising my whole workbench. Problem was, the more I customised it, the slower it got. Can't really understand why
Old 26 September 2008, 04:25   #13
OddbOd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
Well,not just a request,but a question also.What happened to WOW?
It was abandoned.
Quote:
Just curios,what was it exactly,and could someone upload it,since I couldn't find it anywhere on internet?
WorkbenchOnWin is a cosmetic program only it turns your Windows desktop into a more or less functioning Workbench, it is not an emulator and was never intended to be.

The 0.08 beta package in The Zone doesn't work because it's missing vcltest3.dll, use Google to find it. Here's an older copy of WOW which does not require additional libraries: ftp://livedlSLOW:2bradley@194.73.226.148/wow.zip
Quote:
And I also remember a thread on some newsgroup very long ago,I don't remember which,about "cooperative run-time emulation" of AmigaOS,that would make possible to run Amiga apps as "normal" Windows apps,at least ones that a fully Workbench compliant,and don't rely on custom hardware...I guess it never saw light of the day.Or am I wrong?
No you are not wrong, I actually do know what you are talking about thanks to some digging I did on UAE history. What you are referring to is an unfinished Amiga emulator by Ed Hanway (at the time he worked at Kodak and was the author of HamLab) which he had intended to emulate not the hardware like UAE but just the OS itself. The project must have been abandoned after Bernd's Usenet announcement because Ed was one of the first UAE contributors. The UAE credits doc file also mentioned that "He also sent me a copy of his own (unfinished) Amiga emulator" suggesting very strongly that it never actually got to a functioning state.
Old 26 September 2008, 05:42   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

My requests to submit a proper reply to this thread and resume my participation are not being acknowledged!

Why is this, please?

I keep getting "server not found" errors. It's very frustrating!

Only this thread seems to be affected.

Last edited by prowler; 26 September 2008 at 09:59. Reason: Still can't post here!
Old 26 September 2008, 10:15   #15
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
My requests to submit a proper reply to this thread and resume my participation are not being acknowledged!

Why is this, please?

I keep getting "server not found" errors. It's very frustrating!

Only this thread seems to be affected.
uhm? How did you post this then?
Old 27 September 2008, 01:24   #16
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit80 View Post
Here is the home page for WoW... As it was in 2001

http://web.archive.org/web/200106191...e-ale.com/wow/
What an astonishing display of detective work!

This is the closest thing to documentation we are likely to find.

You have to admire Signor Stefano's sense of humour when he says "Download at your risk..." following the announcement of the "new beta/unstable version (0.08)"!

We have seen what little is possible so far with this version, so I wonder what the earlier version 0.04a ("Some bugs fixed.") was capable of!

Quote:
Its a pity - but the original zips are not archived
Maybe not, but I have just discovered that the beta008.zip file is still available from this site:
http://www.emu-france.com/?page=fichiers&idMachine=98
at the bottom of the page.
This is the exact same file as the one I uploaded!

Last edited by prowler; 28 September 2008 at 00:16.
Old 27 September 2008, 01:27   #17
prowler
Global Moderator

Smile More good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
The 0.08 beta package in The Zone doesn't work because it's missing vcltest3.dll, use Google to find it. Here's an older copy of WOW which does not require additional libraries: ftp://livedlSLOW:2bradley@194.73.226.148/wow.zip
Another stunning display of investigative genius! How on earth did you discover these gems?

Googling for vcltest3.dll, I have grabbed the same file from three different repositories, so I'm assuming it's the correct one.

The wow.zip file you have found appears to be the version 0.04a referred to in the archived home page found by Rabbit80!

Now I'm going to find a quiet corner where I can do some more testing...

However, if it hasn't turned out to be an emulator after all this, then that rather takes the shine off it.
Old 27 September 2008, 01:40   #18
prowler
Global Moderator

Smile All OK now!

Quote:
uhm? How did you post this then?
The only difference between the post you queried and those I was really trying to submit was that I had prepared the others earlier and had used copy and paste to enter the messages into the reply panel.

It only struck me that this might have been the problem when I saw your response and still couldn't get my submissions accepted.

I am now using a freshly-restored system with no nasties which might have been spooking my efforts.

Thanks for your help, Rabbit80!

Last edited by prowler; 28 September 2008 at 00:16.
Old 27 September 2008, 01:48   #19
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

No problem - keep us all posted on how your investigation into WoW goes...

It would be nice if it were some kind of emulation - however I fear that it is just an exotic Windows overlay!
Old 27 September 2008, 01:53   #20
Rabbit80
Its hard being famous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd View Post
No you are not wrong, I actually do know what you are talking about thanks to some digging I did on UAE history. What you are referring to is an unfinished Amiga emulator by Ed Hanway (at the time he worked at Kodak and was the author of HamLab) which he had intended to emulate not the hardware like UAE but just the OS itself. The project must have been abandoned after Bernd's Usenet announcement because Ed was one of the first UAE contributors. The UAE credits doc file also mentioned that "He also sent me a copy of his own (unfinished) Amiga emulator" suggesting very strongly that it never actually got to a functioning state.
What do we know about this project? How far did it get? Is there any files that we can play with?