English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 17 November 2016, 14:05   #21
pixSCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhead97 View Post
The github repository https://github.com/henrikstengaard/a...d-game-scripts contains powershell scripts and data files I developed to find matching screenshots/details, convert screenshots to AGS2/AMS/iGame screenshot formats. Note that readme for this repository has not been updated for a while. To have something real to work with I did develop a script download_aeb_whdload_packs.ps1 to download, unzip and combine whdload and update packs. You can use this to get whdload games and demos and note it will most probably take 1-2 hours to complete depending on your internet connection speed. It requires 7-zip installed in program files. The script will produce directories "aeb_whdload_packs\demos_whdload\combined\", "aeb_whdload_packs\games_whdload\combined\" and "aeb_whdload_packs\games_whdload_aga\combined\" containing all games and demos with update packs applied.

You can give that a try if you want an automated download of eab whdload games and demos from eab ftp server.

I plan to make a special version of that script to build the output as package, which can be used by hstwb installer.
Thanks! I have all the games, though, it seems. I've got too many harddrives. I guess I was thinking more of the other packages mentioned in the readme: "HstWB AGS2 EAB WHDLoad Games v2.6: Arcade Game Selector 2 menu generated for WHDLoad games", "HstWB AGS2 EAB WHDLoad Demos v2.6: Arcade Game Selector 2 menu generated for WHDLoad demos. This contains screenshots and details like name, group and party and year for each demo" etc. Are these also generated by your Amiga WHDLoad Game Scripts? Again, sorry if I'm asking about something obvious. Been way too long since I tinkered with stuff like this.
Old 19 November 2016, 00:24   #22
cyberhead97

All of these packages are located in separate github repositories. Here's direct links:
EAB.WHDLoad.Games.AGA.Menu.2.6.0.zip
EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.AGA.Menu.2.6.0.zip
EAB.WHDLoad.Games.OCS.Menu.2.6.0.zip
EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.OCS.Menu.2.6.0.zip

Since the installation is a bit techinal, I have started building a Windows installer to create start menu items for easy use. It will also include all packages and target size will be ~250mb.

Last edited by cyberhead97; 19 November 2016 at 00:25. Reason: Corrected wording
Old 19 November 2016, 00:59   #23
pixSCN

Quote:
All of these packages are located in separate github repositories. Here's direct links:
EAB.WHDLoad.Games.AGA.Menu.2.6.0.zip
EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.AGA.Menu.2.6.0.zip
EAB.WHDLoad.Games.OCS.Menu.2.6.0.zip
EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.OCS.Menu.2.6.0.zip

Since the installation is a bit techinal, I have started building a Windows installer to create start menu items for easy use. It will also include all packages and target size will be ~250mb.
Doh. I should've poked around more. I just checked your "popular" github repos, it seems. Gave the packs a try now. Stops when the install script encounters the nonexistent WORKDIR: etc. I wasn't sure if these paths were supposed to be path variables (which you assigned or set in your scripts somewhere), or if I should edit the install scripts with the paths I want.

A Windows installer sounds great, btw.
Old 19 November 2016, 05:26   #24
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
However you could look at licensing Workbench 3.x from Cloanto and develop a good upgraded and honed 3.x Workbench for people to buy.

WHDLoad games however are still under copyright for the most part - as such including them in any distro (without permission from the IP holders) would be illegal as such you could start a crusade to contact as many authors and IP holders as possible for inclusion of their Amiga games - some might be interested others will decline but I think it would be a valiant use of ones time =)
Yup, I think it would be a very worthy and meritorious effort.

Also note that downloading WHDLoad games explicitly makes the process automatically illegal. The user has to be the one which provides the download address in order for your program to stay legal.

From a legal perspective, pre-installing packs of WHDLoad-ed games requires the user to own these games already, if they do not own them then the legal question which pops up is why would they expect to be able to install them automatically?
If they own these games they likely already have a WHDLoad library which you could use to build the HDF.
An alternative would be to script WHDLoad to install the games one by one into the HDF with the user providing the original floppies.
And the better alternative would be Zetr0's proposition to obtain proper licensing from the owners. You could then have a "free but with floppy based installation" version or a "fully pre installed version with a fee to cover the licensing cost".
Old 19 November 2016, 09:48   #25
pixSCN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
Yup, I think it would be a very worthy and meritorious effort.

Also note that downloading WHDLoad games explicitly makes the process automatically illegal. The user has to be the one which provides the download address in order for your program to stay legal.

From a legal perspective, pre-installing packs of WHDLoad-ed games requires the user to own these games already, if they do not own them then the legal question which pops up is why would they expect to be able to install them automatically?
If they own these games they likely already have a WHDLoad library which you could use to build the HDF.
An alternative would be to script WHDLoad to install the games one by one into the HDF with the user providing the original floppies.
And the better alternative would be Zetr0's proposition to obtain proper licensing from the owners. You could then have a "free but with floppy based installation" version or a "fully pre installed version with a fee to cover the licensing cost".
The HstWB install script doesn't download any games, though. That's a different set of scripts.

If I understood cyberhead97 correctly, he wants the HstWB install script to just set up a framework for starting games (in addition to having a light but powerful WB install), using properly licensed Amiga Forever kickstarts and Workbench disks. You'll have to copy over your games yourself.
Old 20 November 2016, 22:18   #26
cyberhead97

Quote:
The HstWB install script doesn't download any games, though. That's a different set of scripts.

If I understood cyberhead97 correctly, he wants the HstWB install script to just set up a framework for starting games (in addition to having a light but powerful WB install), using properly licensed Amiga Forever kickstarts and Workbench disks. You'll have to copy over your games yourself.
I did actually plan to make a script that download whdload games and prepare them as a package, that could be preinstalled using the installer by adding the package. I would never release the resulting package because of its content, only the script that can make the package. But I can see the legal issues doing that, so consider that idea scrapped.

Using WIX I have managed to build at msi installer so installation of hstwb installer is similar to any other Windows program installation with start menu shortcuts created to run scripts and edit settings file. I hope users will find this approach more user friendly than downloading or cloning github repository. You can download the release here hstwb-installer.1.0.0.zip .
Old 21 November 2016, 14:57   #27
pixSCN

Quote:
I did actually plan to make a script that download whdload games and prepare them as a package, that could be preinstalled using the installer by adding the package. I would never release the resulting package because of its content, only the script that can make the package. But I can see the legal issues doing that, so consider that idea scrapped.

Using WIX I have managed to build at msi installer so installation of hstwb installer is similar to any other Windows program installation with start menu shortcuts created to run scripts and edit settings file. I hope users will find this approach more user friendly than downloading or cloning github repository. You can download the release here hstwb-installer.1.0.0.zip .
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, hehe.

Nice! What does the msi installer install atm? Just WB + HstWB + BetterWB? Or the AGS2/iGame packs too (the screenshots, menus etc)? (Travelling with work, so can't check right now.)
Old 21 November 2016, 15:30   #28
cyberhead97

The msi installer installs HstWB installer and following packages:
- BetterWB.4.0.0
- HstWB.1.0.0
- EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.AGA.Menu.2.6.0
- EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.OCS.Menu.2.6.0
- EAB.WHDLoad.Games.AGA.Menu.2.6.0
- EAB.WHDLoad.Games.OCS.Menu.2.6.0

After installation, setup, run or settings are easily accessed from start menu.

A suggested installation for A1200 would adding following packages using setup script:
- BetterWB.4.0.0
- HstWB.1.0.0
- EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.AGA.Menu.2.6.0
- EAB.WHDLoad.Games.AGA.Menu.2.6.0

Note that AGA menu contains 200 color screenshots and OCS contains 12 color screenshots.

If both EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.AGA.Menu and EAB.WHDLoad.Demos.OCS.Menu packages are added, they would overwrite each other.
Old 29 November 2016, 10:39   #29
enzoboss

I found a new quick and easy way to create and modify games HDF (thanks Ransom1122).Download this program (http://www.pspad.com/it/download.php) is free to change the startup-sequence.
You must mount the file HDF of a game in WinUAE or FS-UAE Amiga Forever or other and copy them the startup-sequence in a folder (Work) and then edit it to PC with this app.

Last edited by enzoboss; 11 July 2019 at 08:07.
Old 29 November 2016, 14:02   #30
enzoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzoboss View Post
I found a new quick and easy way to create and modify games HDF (thanks Ransom1122).Download this program (http://www.pspad.com/it/download.php) is free to change the startup-sequence.
You must mount the file HDF of a game in WinUAE or FS-UAE Amiga Forever or other and copy them the startup-sequence in a folder (Work) and then edit it to PC with this app.
First choose a WHDLoad games and unpack in Work of any directory, then copy from WinUae in Test.Hdf and rename this with the name of games.
Once modified startup-sequence by WinUAE copy it in Test \ s and overwrite it.

Last edited by enzoboss; 11 July 2019 at 08:07.
Old 30 November 2016, 00:51   #31
idrougge

So, you say you've found a text editor?
Old 30 November 2016, 08:16   #32
enzoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
So, you say you've found a text editor?
Yes and find it here (http://www.pspad.com/it/download.php).
Here is the startup-sequence.
Old 30 November 2016, 08:18   #33
enzoboss

Here.

Last edited by enzoboss; 11 July 2019 at 08:08.
Old 30 November 2016, 11:31   #34
enzoboss

For all those using WinUAE with ClassicWb, here is the path to load a game Hdf to change.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ClassicWb.jpg (430.4 KB, 693 views)
Old 30 November 2016, 12:27   #35
idrougge

You do know that every operating system – from AmigaOS to Windows – already comes with several text editors?
Old 30 November 2016, 13:37   #36
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Apologies, but I'm not quite sure what this thread is about.

This is just something that I do for the A600/A1200 CWB & WHDLoad games.
Instead of having a large enough HDF for CWB & WHDLoad games I use the CWB HDF for the System and CF0: for the Games & Kickstarts. That way, I can use any CWB without having to have the WHDLoad games on every Sys: HDF.

All you need to do to get it working is to assign Devs: to CF0:Devs (for the kickstarts)

Just an Idea.
Old 30 November 2016, 18:01   #37
cyberhead97

Quote:
I found a new quick and easy way to create and modify games HDF (thanks Ransom1122)
@enzoboss: It's a nice simple approach Ransom1122 has build to make a HDF per whdload game. However, this is much different as my approach is to make one HDF that can contain all existing whdload games and demos with system setup, boot selection, game and demo menus with screenshots for them all as shown in the screenshots in the first post. I find this approach very useful for both emulators and real Amigas.

Quote:
Apologies, but I'm not quite sure what this thread is about.
@Arnie: The purpose of this thread was initially gathering thoughts about what is needed for online sharing of a fully functional HDF like CWB. As I know there are legal/copyright issues for distributing a HDF containing Workbench, Kickstart roms for whdload and games and demos. So, my solution was to build an installer that can build such a HDF given you have all those files your self. It will install your own Workbench and kickstart rom files either from own dumps or Amiga Forever.

The installer still seems cumbersome for some and a prepared HDF, which installs it-self like CWB appears to me the preferred use, which I fully understand given the easy installation BloodWych has built into his HDF's. I'm currently working on an extension of the installer, so it can build such a self-installing HDF, which can be installed almost the same way as CWB.
Old 01 December 2016, 07:47   #38
enzoboss

I have only taken up the idea of ransom1122 to create hdf games, that seemed a bit complicated and I made it easy. Everything here.
I would like to create a video tutorial but I have problems with my computer.
Old 01 December 2016, 08:38   #39
cyberhead97

Quote:
I would like to create a video tutorial but I have problems with my computer.
Good idea with a video tutorial. I can fairly simple record that and post it on youtube for better guidance
Old 03 December 2016, 23:13   #40
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

@enzoboss your contribution is great, but I think you should open your own thread because this thread is about another idea.